Velocity Reviews

-   -   Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957035-further-evidence-that-python-may-be-the-best-language-forever.html)

Malcolm McCrimmon 01-28-2013 10:46 PM

Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools across thecountry. One team made it to the finals using the Python client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?

http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

Michael Torrie 01-29-2013 01:15 AM

Re: Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
> My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
> across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
> client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
> of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
>
> http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
for me. :)

Stefan Behnel 01-29-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:
> On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
>> My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
>> across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
>> client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
>> of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
>>
>> http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
the Python team just started learning it.

The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.

> What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
> for me. :)

Yep, same here. Hidden behind a flash wall, it seems.

Stefan

Michael Poeltl 01-29-2013 10:31 AM

Re: Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

hi Stefan,

* Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml@behnel.de> [2013-01-29 08:00]:
> Michael Torrie, 29.01.2013 02:15:
> > On 01/28/2013 03:46 PM, Malcolm McCrimmon wrote:
> >> My company recently hosted a programming competition for schools
> >> across the country. One team made it to the finals using the Python
> >> client, one of the four default clients provided (I wrote it). Most
> >> of the other teams were using Java or C#. Guess which team won?
> >>
> >> http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/finals.html

> We did a similar (although way smaller) contest once at a university. The
> task was to write a network simulator. We had a C team, a Java team and a
> Python team, four people each. The Java and C people knew their language,
> the Python team just started learning it.
>
> The C team ended up getting totally lost and failed. The Java team got most
> things working ok and passed. The Python team got everything working, but
> additionally implemented a web interface for the simulator that monitored
> and visualised its current state. They said it helped them with debugging.

quite interesting!
I'd liked to see the code
is it available for 'download'?

thx
Michael

> > What language was the web page hosted in? It comes up completely blank
> > for me. :)

> Yep, same here. Hidden behind a flash wall, it seems.
>
> Stefan

Michael Poeltl
Computational Materials Physics voice: +43-1-4277-51409
Univ. Wien, Sensengasse 8/12 fax: +43-1-4277-9514 (or 9513)
A-1090 Wien, AUSTRIA cmp.mpi.univie.ac.at
slackware-13.37 | vim-7.3 | python-3.2.3 | mutt-1.5.21 | elinks-0.12

Malcolm McCrimmon 01-29-2013 05:37 PM

Re: Further evidence that Python may be the best language forever

Sure! I don't think we've publicly posted the teams' implementations, but the original client code is all up here--http://www.windward.net/codewar/2013_01/windwardopolis.php

The issue with the original link may be if you're running Firefox--it's a Vimeo video, and I know they have some ongoing issues with Firefox that prevent their videos from displaying or playing back.

Malcolm McCrimmon 01-29-2013 05:37 PM