Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t957026-re-pinhole-shots-of-the-civil-war-re-enactments.html)

RichA 01-28-2013 05:10 PM

Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

On Jan 27, 12:03*pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
wrote:
> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>
> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
> document civil war re-enactments.
>
> One of my favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...12/12/gettysbu...
>
> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
> noise prone, however...
>
> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

> * * * * The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
> * * * * *subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
> * * * * *the viewer to look more deeply, *filling out the blurred
> * * * * *information with their own memories and experiences, making
> * * * * *the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

> "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
> * were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-Sir John A. Macdonald

Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.

Rob 01-28-2013 11:55 PM

On 29/01/2013 4:10 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
> wrote:
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>>
>> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
>> document civil war re-enactments.
>>
>> One of my favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...12/12/gettysbu...
>>
>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
>> noise prone, however...
>>
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

>> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
>> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
>> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
>> information with their own memories and experiences, making
>> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
>>
>> --
>> "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
>> were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
>> -Sir John A. Macdonald

> Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
> sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.

I made a pinhole camera with large format. Normal view which had more
distance between the pinhole and the film plane. and a wide angle
shorter distance. Used cake tins. For the film, was using photographic
paper, processing them, then making a contact print back onto another
sheet of paper for a positive. The results were quite remarkable, cheap
to run.

Another one was made from a 35mm cassette canister wrapped film inside
hence a panoramic image. This could be used underwater as well. All good
stuff. Just filled my pockets with loaded canisters and when on a shoot,

Nik Silver efex software has pinhole filters how do these compare - has
anyone tried?

PeterN 01-29-2013 12:06 AM

On 1/28/2013 6:55 PM, Rob wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 4:10 AM, RichA wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>>>
>>> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
>>> document civil war re-enactments.
>>>
>>> One of my
>>> favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...12/12/gettysbu...
>>>

>>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
>>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
>>> noise prone, however...
>>>
>>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

>>> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
>>> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
>>> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
>>> information with their own memories and experiences, making
>>> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
>>> were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
>>> -Sir John A. Macdonald

>> Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
>> sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.
>>

> I made a pinhole camera with large format. Normal view which had more
> distance between the pinhole and the film plane. and a wide angle
> shorter distance. Used cake tins. For the film, was using photographic
> paper, processing them, then making a contact print back onto another
> sheet of paper for a positive. The results were quite remarkable, cheap
> to run.
>
> Another one was made from a 35mm cassette canister wrapped film inside
> hence a panoramic image. This could be used underwater as well. All good
> stuff. Just filled my pockets with loaded canisters and when on a shoot,
>
> Nik Silver efex software has pinhole filters how do these compare - has
> anyone tried?

Thanks. You just gave me an idea. I have a pinhole for my Lensbaby.
Perhaps that will be a use for it.

--
PeterN