Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956992-re-pinhole-shots-of-the-civil-war-re-enactments.html)

PeterN 01-27-2013 05:09 PM

On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>
> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
> document civil war re-enactments.
>
> One of my favourites:
> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg
>

> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
> noise prone, however...
>
> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
> information with their own memories and experiences, making
> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

Now there's a guy who found what he likes, and does it well.
While I agree that pinhole is not for everybody, it certainly produces
some neat effects.

--
PeterN

Trevor 01-29-2013 03:18 AM

"PeterN" <peter.newnospal@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
>>
>> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
>> document civil war re-enactments.
>>
>> One of my favourites:
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg
>>

>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
>> noise prone, however...
>>
>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

>> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
>> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
>> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
>> information with their own memories and experiences, making
>> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
>>

> Now there's a guy who found what he likes, and does it well.
> While I agree that pinhole is not for everybody, it certainly produces
> some neat effects.

I don't see anything there that couldn't be done more easily in PS from a
normal digital image/s. But I do support the artists right to make his own
choices however.

Trevor.