Velocity Reviews

-   -   Revised Question on File Processing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956984-revised-question-on-file-processing.html)

Subhabrata 01-27-2013 07:17 AM

Revised Question on File Processing

Dear Group,

I was trying to read a file get the output in the form of words and
trying to compare with the words generated from a sentence. I was
trying to write the following code.

It is giving me an output of the file in the form of words, but after
that I am not being able to attach any more processings. It is
throwing an exception as,
at FileIntake1.main(FileIntake1.java:21)

But if I write the code with try and catch, true exception is not
there, but no output.
And I am just new to Java my question is if you write try and catch a
file, how one post processes a file within try? Isn't there a smart
solution?
And how would I go here?

I am bit new to Java if you can kindly direct.

Regards,
Subhabrata.

#1) Code No: 1

import java.io.*;
public class FileIntake1 {

/**
* @param args
*/
FileReader fr = new FileReader("C:\\FileIO\\JAVADICT1.txt");
BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(fr);
String s2="Moscow is the Capital of Russia";
String [] s3=s2.split(" ");
int l2=s3.length;

String str;
while ((str = br.readLine()) != null)
//System.out.println("The Strings In the File are:");
System.out.println(str);
String [] s1=str.split(" ");
int l1=s1.length;
for(int x = 0; x < l1; x = x+1) {
//System.out.print("value of x : " + x );
System.out.println(s1[x]);

}

br.close();

}
}

#2) Code No: 2
import java.io.*;

public class FileInput{

public static void main(String args[]){

try{
byte bWrite [] = {11,21,3,40,5};
OutputStream os = new FileOutputStream("C:\\FileIO\
\JAVADICT1.txt");
for(int x=0; x < bWrite.length ; x++){
os.write( bWrite[x] ); // writes the bytes
}
os.close();

InputStream is = new FileInputStream("C:\\FileIO\
\JAVADICT1.txt");
int size = is.available();

for(int i=0; i< size; i++){
System.out.print((char)is.read() + " ");
}
is.close();
}catch(IOException e){
System.out.print("Exception");
}
}
}

subhabangalore@gmail.com 01-27-2013 03:26 PM

Re: Revised Question on File Processing

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:47:16 PM UTC+5:30, Subhabrata wrote:
> Dear Group,
>

> I was trying to read a file get the output in the form of words and
>
> trying to compare with the words generated from a sentence. I was
>
> trying to write the following code.
>

> It is giving me an output of the file in the form of words, but after
>
> that I am not being able to attach any more processings. It is
>
> throwing an exception as,

> at FileIntake1.main(FileIntake1.java:21)
>

> But if I write the code with try and catch, true exception is not
>
> there, but no output.
>
> And I am just new to Java my question is if you write try and catch a
>
> file, how one post processes a file within try? Isn't there a smart
>
> solution?
>
> And how would I go here?
>

> I am bit new to Java if you can kindly direct.
>

> Regards,
>
> Subhabrata.
>

> #1) Code No: 1
>

> import java.io.*;
>
> public class FileIntake1 {
>

> /**
>
> * @param args
>
> */
>
> public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
>
> FileReader fr = new FileReader("C:\\FileIO\\JAVADICT1.txt");
>
> BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(fr);
>
> String s2="Moscow is the Capital of Russia";
>
> String [] s3=s2.split(" ");
>
> int l2=s3.length;
>

> String str;
>
> while ((str = br.readLine()) != null)
>
> //System.out.println("The Strings In the File are:");
>
> System.out.println(str);
>
> String [] s1=str.split(" ");
>
> int l1=s1.length;
>
> for(int x = 0; x < l1; x = x+1) {
>
> //System.out.print("value of x : " + x );
>
> System.out.println(s1[x]);
>

> }
>

> br.close();

> }
>
> }
>

> #2) Code No: 2
>
> import java.io.*;
>

> public class FileInput{
>

> public static void main(String args[]){
>

> try{
>
> byte bWrite [] = {11,21,3,40,5};
>
> OutputStream os = new FileOutputStream("C:\\FileIO\
>
> \JAVADICT1.txt");
>
> for(int x=0; x < bWrite.length ; x++){
>
> os.write( bWrite[x] ); // writes the bytes
>
> }
>
> os.close();
>

> InputStream is = new FileInputStream("C:\\FileIO\
>
> \JAVADICT1.txt");
>
> int size = is.available();
>

> for(int i=0; i< size; i++){
>
> System.out.print((char)is.read() + " ");
>
> }
>
> is.close();
>
> }catch(IOException e){
>
> System.out.print("Exception");
>
> }
>
> }
>
> }

Dear Group,
Sorry to disturb you. I have fixed the issue. Regards,Subhabrata.

Roedy Green 01-28-2013 03:51 PM

Re: Revised Question on File Processing

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:17:16 -0800 (PST), Subhabrata
<subhabangalore@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>.NullPointerException

see