Velocity Reviews

-   -   sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956962-sockobj-connect-errno-13-permission-denied.html)

nobody 01-26-2013 11:19 AM

sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied

Hi,

I have a client program Client.py which has a statement of sockobj.connect(), the port number 60000 is used, so no problem from port permission.

I am puzzled because I can run Client.py from command line in my user account or apache user account without any problems.

But if I run it from a web page http://localhost/client.php, the client.php called exec("Client.py"), then it got an exception of sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied.

Why it can run from command line, but cannot make connection from a web file? Appreciate any tips and clues.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Joel Goldstick 01-26-2013 01:47 PM

Re: sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM, nobody <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a client program Client.py which has a statement of
> sockobj.connect(), the port number 60000 is used, so no problem from port
> permission.
>
> I am puzzled because I can run Client.py from command line in my user
> account or apache user account without any problems.
>
> But if I run it from a web page http://localhost/client.php, the
> client.php called exec("Client.py"),

Check the arguments to exec. I think it has to be an open file object.

> then it got an exception of sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied.
>
> Why it can run from command line, but cannot make connection from a web
> file? Appreciate any tips and clues.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards.

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com

Joel Goldstick 01-26-2013 01:52 PM

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Joel Goldstick <joel.goldstick@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM, nobody <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a client program Client.py which has a statement of
>> sockobj.connect(), the port number 60000 is used, so no problem from port
>> permission.
>>
>> I am puzzled because I can run Client.py from command line in my user
>> account or apache user account without any problems.
>>
>> But if I run it from a web page http://localhost/client.php, the
>> client.php called exec("Client.py"),

> Check the arguments to exec. I think it has to be an open file object.
>

>> then it got an exception of sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied.
>>
>> Why it can run from command line, but cannot make connection from a web
>> file? Appreciate any tips and clues.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kind regards.

Maybe I spoke too soon. You should probably be asking in a php forum since
what you are doing is running a php exec. If you are actually getting a
python error you should show the code and the traceback so that someone can
look at your code.

In either case (py and php) it looks like exec needs either a string of
executable text or (in py case) an open file handle. So the code you
describe isn't really what you are running

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com

Albert Hopkins 01-26-2013 05:07 PM

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 08:52 AM, Joel Goldstick wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Joel Goldstick
> <joel.goldstick@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM, nobody <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a client program Client.py which has a statement of
> >> sockobj.connect(), the port number 60000 is used, so no problem from port
> >> permission.
> >>
> >> I am puzzled because I can run Client.py from command line in my user
> >> account or apache user account without any problems.
> >>
> >> But if I run it from a web page http://localhost/client.php, the
> >> client.php called exec("Client.py"),

> > Check the arguments to exec. I think it has to be an open file object.
> >

> >> then it got an exception of sockobj.connect Errno 13 Permission denied.
> >>
> >> Why it can run from command line, but cannot make connection from a web
> >> file? Appreciate any tips and clues.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Kind regards.
> >>

> Maybe I spoke too soon. You should probably be asking in a php forum
> since
> what you are doing is running a php exec. If you are actually getting a
> python error you should show the code and the traceback so that someone
> can
> look at your code.
>
> In either case (py and php) it looks like exec needs either a string of
> executable text or (in py case) an open file handle. So the code you
> describe isn't really what you are running

Also your php/apache config needs to be set up to enable execs (I think
it's off by the default).

Either way it's a PHP question, not a Python question.