Velocity Reviews

-   -   monolithic apps (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956895-monolithic-apps.html)

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-24-2013 05:06 PM

monolithic apps

Any suggestions for study?..:
Is is possible to take a large executable with GUI and real time data and images, to extract modules, and it can run as if it looks like a monolithicapplication (windows over main windows, or images over other images) but is various python script driven modules calling each other as separate apps?

Ulrich Eckhardt 01-24-2013 05:25 PM

Re: monolithic apps

Am 24.01.2013 18:06, schrieb tamnt54@gmail.com:
> Any suggestions for study?..: Is is possible to take a large
> executable with GUI and real time data and images, to extract
> modules, and it can run as if it looks like a monolithic application
> (windows over main windows, or images over other images) but is
> various python script driven modules calling each other as separate
> apps?

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/

Uli

<g,d&r>

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:00 PM

Re: monolithic apps

...snipped...

> 2) Manipulate multiple gui apps while having the same UI as though there
> was just one main window, and other windows all belong to it. Multiple
> GUI processes, but some central control to change the user experience
> into resembling a single GUI app.

....snipped

> You say this a topic for study, but there's a lot of other things you
> may need to specify before you get to implementing. What OS, what
> version of Python, what GUI, are these apps modifiable, or are you just
> allowed to write glue, ...
> --
> DaveA

Hey Thanks, Dave!
Definitely (2). However: you say "and other windows all belong to it." That is not such a great idea as long as the main window can close the other windows. But that's the point.
I have a humongous commercial app in C++ on Win32. (It could require porting at some time because main tools it uses could get ported by separate vendor) So what I'd like to do is write real-time imaging functions separatelyand control them using python scripting with whatever windows or overlayedimages are needed. Debug these separately and call+control them as individual stand alone, and glue together as needed. glue being mainly python, and what is being glued would also be controlled as separate python modules.This ends up running as one monolithic application that looks the same (better I hope) as the previous huge monolithic win32 app.
thanks again!

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:00 PM

Re: monolithic apps

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:05 PM

Re: monolithic apps

Glue not just python but whatever is needed to communicate back and forth. lots of data, but whatever could be glue in python of course. The C++ glue and functions would be controlled as python data and communicated between different modules.
todd.

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:05 PM

Re: monolithic apps

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:06 PM

Re: monolithic apps

My App takes over the whole system from power up to shutdown.

tamnt54@gmail.com 01-25-2013 02:06 PM

Re: monolithic apps

My App takes over the whole system from power up to shutdown.