Velocity Reviews

-   -   'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over 'stolen'images, (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956871-were-being-screwed-photographers-and-designers-vent-over-stolenimages.html)

Rob 01-24-2013 09:26 AM

'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over 'stolen'images,

Its worth reading the article and viewing some of the images.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...118-2cx6x.html

.................................................. ........................

'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over 'stolen' images

Karena Colquhoun found her firms logo being used on a billboard to
promote an exhibition at the Shanghai Art Museum.

Karena Colquhoun found her firm's logo being used on a billboard to
promote an exhibition.

How's this for frustrating: you're an Australian graphic designer and
you find your work used without permission on a billboard to advertise
an art exhibition in China.

This is what happened to graphic designer Karena Colquhoun and she's
not alone in feeling robbed.

A story last week about the duping of a Newcastle artist's photo,
without permission, onto thousands of T-shirts to be sold at menswear
giant Lowes, prompted emails from dozens of angry artists with similar
stories.
Sheila Smart had a UK police department steal her image for a brochure
on bicycle theft.

Sheila Smart found a UK police department steal her image for a brochure
on bicycle theft.

They reported having their images stolen from the internet without their
permission and placed, sometimes with small modifications, on T-shirts,
websites, cigarette cases, stickers, phone covers, posters promoting
nightclubs, CD album covers and even hardcover books.

But fighting copyright infringements was fraught with difficulty, they
said: offenders often pleaded ignorance, refused to compensate them and
wouldn't pull the infringing content.

They said those that were contrite offered very little compensation
unless sued.
Peter Coulson of Victoria has also found one of his photographs in use
on a T-shirt sold by Nena & Pasadena.

Peter Coulson found one of his photographs in use on a T-shirt sold by
Nena & Pasadena.

Karena Colquhoun, who runs Magic Jelly, an Adelaide design company, last
year found its logo being used in an adapted form on a billboard to
promote an exhibition at the Shanghai Art Museum.

"It's both bizarre and very upsetting to see your work taken without
permission, so that you not only are not compensated, but lose your
right to consent and control the quality and context of your work," she
said.

Colquhoun discovered the plagiarism using Google's "Search by Image" and
TinEye's "Reverse Image Search".
"Complete and utter disbelief" ... photographer Naomi Frost.

Photographer Naomi Frost had a photo of hers used on shirts sold at
Lowes. Photo: Dean Osland

"Every so often I'll randomly search my images, and I always find people
using them without permission," Colquhoun said.

Sheila Smart, a professional Sydney photographer, was among the few who
said they had successfully litigated against offenders.

A UK police department that used a snapshot of hers in a brochure about
crime settled for a "fairly large sum" about ten times more than what
a legitimate licensing would have cost.
Sheila Smart found one of her images on the front cover of a Romanian
book title.

Sheila Smart found one of her images on the front cover of a Turkish
book title.

She has also settled several cases in the US and Canada (with 10 still
pending). One involved a company that settled with her US lawyer without
any negotiation when she found a popular image of hers on their Facebook
page. It cost them $8500.

In Europe, she has negotiated a $1700 payment from Romanian publishers
that used one of her images on the front of a book.

Smart said she didn't pursue Australian offenders as often because laws
here meant she was only entitled to what she would have received had
they licensed the image legitimately unless she could prove "wilful use".
Norman Pelaez's friends found pictures of his wedding on Sydney busses
last year being used to advertise a photographer's business who did not
have anything to do with the images.

Norman Pelaez's friends found pictures of his wedding on buses
advertising a photographer's business.

However, in one instance, a state government tourism website that used
her images settled for a "nice sum".

Others have not been so fortunate. Adam Jackson of Tuggerah on the
Central Coast in NSW said he had a photo of a car taken without
permission from his website and put on T-shirts sold at Kmart, with the
car's number plate still visible.

The owner of the car was "extremely upset" about this, and when Jackson
contacted the Victorian business who sold the T-shirt to Kmart, he said
they told him that because his website was free to access, they could do
what they wanted with his photograph.
Adam Jackson of Tuggerah in NSW had a photo of a car taken without
permission from his website about two years ago and put on T-shirts sold
at Kmart.

Adam Jackson had a photo of a car taken from his website without
permission and put on a T-shirt.

"Since I did not have the money to take this further, nothing has come
of it yet," Jackson said.

He added that Kmart were of no help either and said it was "not their
problem and simply shrugged me off".

Barbara Read, who lives in British Columbia, Canada, said she regularly
tracked the unauthorised use of her photos and found them "all over the
place".
Harmony Nicholas of Adelaide has been fighting to stop businesses
stealing her photos and putting them on T-shirts.

Harmony Nicholas is fighting to stop businesses stealing her model's
photos and putting them on T-shirts.

She warned other photographers that low-resolution images, watermarks
and copyright notices did nothing to stop people from using her images.
"Folks better expect to lose control of [their photographs] if they post
them online," she said.

"There are sophisticated software programs available to upsize small
images with excellent results and most copyright notices are easily
cloned or cropped out."

Harmony Nicholas of Adelaide has been fighting to stop businesses
stealing her photos and putting them on T-shirts. She's had no luck
getting compensation and had little success trying to stop those who
stole from her.
A photograph Barbara Read of British Columbia, Canada too which was
taken by Romanian book publisher Editura Herald and used on a books cover.

Barbara Read caught a Romanian book publisher using a picture of hers on
a book cover.

"We're being screwed left, right and centre purely because we just have
our images out there," she said.

Nicholas first found out about her photos being stolen from a friend who
in 2010 was on holiday in Brisbane. "She was walking past one of the
shops and snapped on her phone a picture of a singlet that was in a
window that [had on it my photograph] of model Sabina Kelley colouring
in her tattoos with textas," Nicholas said.

Since then Nicholas has discovered about six of her photos on T-shirts
and is now reluctant to publish her work online, especially as she
lacked the money to pursue legal action.
Photographer Sheila Smart.

Photographer Sheila Smart.

Peter Coulson of Victoria said he had also found one of his photographs
in use on a T-shirt sold by Nena & Pasadena, and others on a giant
screen behind American heavy metal band Mtley Cre, when they performed
during their worldwide concerts.

When he contacted Nena & Pasadena in 2011 about the infringing photo
they used, he said they offered him $200 to continue to use it on their
T-shirts. He refused the offer and requested the company destroy all
infringing stock, and they complied.

In a statement provided to Melbourne's Herald Sun in 2011, management
for Nena and Pasadena blamed a rogue designer for the mix-up. The
company said the design, called "The Night'', would never make it into
shops.

Mtley Cre's infringement was still under investigation, Coulson said.

Other examples of copyright infringement included:

* A Sydney wedding photographer who used another photographer's wedding
photos to advertise their services after finding them online. (After a
letter and phone call requesting the removal of all of the images, the
photographer complied.)

* A couple who dressed up for a costume party and posted the photo on
Flickr, then found themselves in a local club's advertising material.

* Book publishers using photos without permission even using them as
cover images.

Read more:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...#ixzz2IsoYhXih

Chris Baird 01-24-2013 09:34 PM

Re: 'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over 'stolen' images,

> Its worth reading the article and viewing some of the images.
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...118-2cx6x.html

And another...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...119-1bx1x.html

--
Chris,,

John A. 01-25-2013 10:16 AM

Re: 'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over 'stolen' images,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:26:53 +1100, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>infringing stock, and they complied.
>
>In a statement provided to Melbourne's Herald Sun in 2011, management
>for Nena and Pasadena blamed a rogue designer for the mix-up. The
>company said the design, called "The Night'', would never make it into
>shops.
>
>Mtley Cre's infringement was still under investigation, Coulson said.
>
>Other examples of copyright infringement included:
>
>* A Sydney wedding photographer who used another photographer's wedding
>photos to advertise their services after finding them online. (After a
>letter and phone call requesting the removal of all of the images, the
>photographer complied.)
>
>* A couple who dressed up for a costume party and posted the photo on
>Flickr, then found themselves in a local club's advertising material.
>
>* Book publishers using photos without permission even using them as

Much of the problem boils down to two things:

1. Ignorance: too many people equating easy access with free use.
One solution, if partial, is the obvious one of greater public
education efforts.
(Note, though, that ignorance is, in a way, a valid excuse IF it's a
case of an "apparent agent" - a 3rd party claiming to own the work
granting or selling the right to use it. In such case it is held to be
that 3rd party who stole it, not the user, so no penalty or payment to
the artist is required, though I can see stopping further use.)

2. The law not being enforced because the little guy lacks the
resources to do so.
I'm thinking there needs to be some sort of public resource for
pursuing these cases, such as empowering law enforcement to
investigate them as crimes akin to fraud of a corresponding magnitude.

Whisky-dave 01-25-2013 01:32 PM

On Friday, January 25, 2013 10:16:53 AM UTC, John A. wrote:
> [...]

> >Other examples of copyright infringement included:

> >* A Sydney wedding photographer who used another photographer's wedding

> >photos to advertise their services after finding them online. (After a

> >letter and phone call requesting the removal of all of the images, the

> >photographer complied.)

> >* A couple who dressed up for a costume party and posted the photo on

> >Flickr, then found themselves in a local club's advertising material.

> >* Book publishers using photos without permission � even using them as

> >cover images.

> >Read more:

> >http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...#ixzz2IsoYhXih

> Much of the problem boils down to two things:
>

> 1. Ignorance: too many people equating easy access with free use.
>
> One solution, if partial, is the obvious one of greater public

Would that really help the avergae person. What would this education be notto post to flickr, not to facebook in fact never put yuor images anywhere others can see them.

> (Note, though, that ignorance is, in a way, a valid excuse IF it's a
>
> case of an "apparent agent" - a 3rd party claiming to own the work
>
> granting or selling the right to use it. In such case it is held to be
>
> that 3rd party who stole it, not the user, so no penalty or payment to
>
> the artist is required, though I can see stopping further use.)
>

> 2. The law not being enforced because the little guy lacks the
>
> resources to do so.
>
> I'm thinking there needs to be some sort of public resource for
>
> pursuing these cases, such as empowering law enforcement to
>
> investigate them as crimes akin to fraud of a corresponding magnitude.

Who pays for such things that's the main point.
Must be plenty of solicitors/lawyers etc.. willing to work for nothing ;-)

Chris Malcolm 01-25-2013 01:44 PM

Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 10:16:53 AM UTC, John A. wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:26:53 +1100, Rob <mesaminenewsgroup@google.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>> >Its worth reading the article and viewing some of the images.

>> >http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...118-2cx6x.html

[snip]

> Who pays for such things that's the main point.
> Must be plenty of solicitors/lawyers etc.. willing to work for nothing ;-)

I was recently talking to a friend who's a lawyer about protecting my
photographs from unauthorised use. For example I currently have a lot
of images on Flickr. I declare that I reserve all rights and those
wishing to use my images should get in touch, but there's nothing
except conscience to stop anyone from stealing them. Should I perhaps
add a copyright watermark to the image itself?

"Wrong strategy!" he said. "You'll make FAR more money than you'd get
from selling your images by letting people steal them and then suing
them!"

Whisky-dave 01-25-2013 02:03 PM

On Friday, January 25, 2013 1:44:10 PM UTC, Chris Malcolm wrote:
> Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, January 25, 2013 10:16:53 AM UTC, John A. wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > Who pays for such things that's the main point.

> > Must be plenty of solicitors/lawyers etc.. willing to work for nothing ;-)

> I was recently talking to a friend who's a lawyer about protecting my
>
> photographs from unauthorised use. For example I currently have a lot
>
> of images on Flickr. I declare that I reserve all rights and those
>
> wishing to use my images should get in touch, but there's nothing
>
> except conscience to stop anyone from stealing them. Should I perhaps
>
> add a copyright watermark to the image itself?
>

> "Wrong strategy!" he said. "You'll make FAR more money than you'd get
>
> from selling your images by letting people steal them and then suing
>
> them!"

of course he'll say that as he'll make a fair bit from such a thing he'll make nothing if the watermarks effect an image enough for it not to be used.

Sounds very much like certain investment bankers saying how wonderful wind farms are regarding the furtue or renewable energy.

Doug McDonald 01-25-2013 04:51 PM

Re: 'We're being screwed': photographers and designers vent over'stolen' images,

The problem is common sense:

If you don't want your pictures to be used without payment,
only show them to prospective buyers in hard copy form where
you retain physical possession, or, if on the web, in
uselessly small versions (smaller than say 80 pixels
smallest dimension.) If you sell them for digital use
in large size, make sure you get enough to cover their
value from the first sale.

Or else be a billion dollar corporation than can afford
to intimidate.

Doug McDonald

GMAN 01-25-2013 09:49 PM

In article <r6m4g897rifb04cto9r5n0veu2ofedogq4@4ax.com>, John A. <john@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> [...]

>Much of the problem boils down to two things:
>
>1. Ignorance: too many people equating easy access with free use.
> One solution, if partial, is the obvious one of greater public
>education efforts.
>(Note, though, that ignorance is, in a way, a valid excuse IF it's a
>case of an "apparent agent" - a 3rd party claiming to own the work
>granting or selling the right to use it. In such case it is held to be
>that 3rd party who stole it, not the user, so no penalty or payment to
>the artist is required, though I can see stopping further use.)
>
>2. The law not being enforced because the little guy lacks the
>resources to do so.
> I'm thinking there needs to be some sort of public resource for
>pursuing these cases, such as empowering law enforcement to
>investigate them as crimes akin to fraud of a corresponding magnitude.

I just caught Harley Davidson using one of my images.

sobriquet 01-26-2013 12:21 AM

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:26:53 AM UTC+1, Rob wrote:
> Its worth reading the article and viewing some of the images.
>

> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...118-2cx6x.html

The problem is not copyright infringement. But copyright.
Copyright is retarded and people who complain about copyright
infringement are totally clueless and shouldn't be allowed to use
the internet or computers in the first place.

sobriquet 01-26-2013 12:28 AM

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:21:52 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
> [..]
> The problem is not copyright infringement, but copyright.

Erroneous punctuation fixed for clarity.