Velocity Reviews

-   -   The Revenge of the Geeks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956789-the-revenge-of-the-geeks.html)

Ramon F Herrera 01-22-2013 02:41 PM

The Revenge of the Geeks

Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.

"A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
updates"

http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...38/?s_cid=e539

I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
company like Oracle...

-Ramon

Melzzzzz 01-22-2013 02:55 PM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:41:45 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.
>
> "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
> updates"
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...lls-deceptive-

software-with-java-updates-7000010038/?s_cid=e539

> I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
> company like Oracle...
>
> -Ramon

You meen this only hits Windows, as on Linux OpenJDK is installed usuall
way ? ;)

Ramon F Herrera 01-22-2013 02:58 PM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On Jan 22, 8:41*am, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.
>
> * * "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
> updates"
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...s-deceptive-so...
>
> I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
> company like Oracle...
>
> -Ramon

Ed: "Can't fathom"

-RFH

joel garry 01-22-2013 04:54 PM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On Jan 22, 6:41*am, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.
>
> * * "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
> updates"
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...s-deceptive-so...
>
> I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
> company like Oracle...
>
> -Ramon

I like the oxymoron "sane Windows user."

The authors doth protest too much, methinks. They have their own
agenda of selling their own snake oil.

We know how Oracle wound up with java. Sun ****ed up, Larry swooped
in and got loads of intellectual property and engineering expertise
for pennies on the dollar. It's the American way!

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
This idiot doesn't even realize Amazon's cloud offering partners with

Lew 01-23-2013 01:02 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

cipher wrote:
> Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

Evidence?

In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
then declined.

Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhj 01-23-2013 03:23 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On 1/22/2013 8:02 PM, Lew wrote:
> cipher wrote:
>> Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

> Evidence?
>
> In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
> then declined.
>
> Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
> statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

I suspect that he read in one of the advocacy groups om the dist list.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj 01-23-2013 03:26 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On 1/22/2013 7:07 PM, cipher wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:54:53 -0800, joel garry Inscribed upon the Golden
>> We know how Oracle wound up with java. Sun ****ed up, Larry swooped in
>> and got loads of intellectual property and engineering expertise for
>> pennies on the dollar. It's the American way!

> Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

Depend on your definition of dying.

According to statowl those with Java installed has dropped from
81% to 66%.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj 01-23-2013 03:29 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On 1/22/2013 9:55 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:41:45 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>> Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.
>>
>> "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
>> updates"
>>
>> http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...lls-deceptive-

> software-with-java-updates-7000010038/?s_cid=e539
>>
>> I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
>> company like Oracle...

> You meen this only hits Windows, as on Linux OpenJDK is installed usuall
> way ? ;)

Obviously Oracle's business practice only applies to
their Java implementations.

They could put it in Oracle Java for Linux if they wanted to
(I don't know if they actually have so).

But IBM Java for Linux, OpenJDK for Linux, GCJ etc. are
not under Oracles control (they do have some heavy influence
on OpenJDK, but ...).

Arne

BGB 01-23-2013 03:30 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On 1/22/2013 7:02 PM, Lew wrote:
> cipher wrote:
>> Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

> Evidence?
>
> In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
> then declined.
>
> Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
> statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

well, there is Minecraft and OpenOffice, which use Java and run on
desktops...

though hardly a big player, it is not entirely uncommon to run into
software which depends on it.

now, as for the Java installer: I have seen worse...

at least it gives the option to opt out, as opposed to a few installers
I ran into which just install a mountain of adware without giving any
option to opt out.

Arne Vajhj 01-23-2013 03:32 AM

Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

On 1/22/2013 9:41 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.
>
> "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
> updates"
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at...38/?s_cid=e539

I hate that too.

But ...

> I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
> company like Oracle...

Oracle is good at making money.

SUN was not good at making money.

So SUN's assets ended up in Oracle.