Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Bit Off Topic: For Anyone Using MS Windows Live Movie Maker (forediting home movies) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956788-a-bit-off-topic-for-anyone-using-ms-windows-live-movie-maker-forediting-home-movies.html)

Bob 01-22-2013 01:25 PM

A Bit Off Topic: For Anyone Using MS Windows Live Movie Maker (forediting home movies)

Hello,

I realize this might be a bit off topic for this Group, but I am not
sure where to Post my question, and my guess is that you folks might
know all about this. Hopefully.

Using Microsoft's Windows Live Movie Maker to edit a home video I took.

Simple basic program; just what I need.

I can set a Start, and an End TRIM for taking out and creating a new
video of just what I want.

But, how can I select several pieces; e.g., perhaps 3 or 4 Start/End
Trims on the original Video ?

Doing a single Start/Stop TRIM works fine, but it is the doing of
multiple ones that I cannot figure out.

As soon as i do a single TRIM, the trimmed piece shows up in the window,
and I cannot therefore do any more on the original video. Or, see it.

How does one do multiple TRIM's, please ? There is a "TRIM Tool," but I
cannot figure out how to use it at all; is this what I want, though ?
If so, how does one use it, please ?

Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore at my age, so specific detailed
instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, appreciate the help,
Bob

otter 01-25-2013 06:52 PM

Re: A Bit Off Topic: For Anyone Using MS Windows Live Movie Maker(for editing home movies)

On Jan 22, 7:25*am, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I realize this might be a bit off topic for this Group, but I am not
> sure where to Post my question, and my guess is that you folks might
> know all about this. Hopefully.
>
> Using Microsoft's Windows Live Movie Maker to edit a home video I took.
>
> Simple basic program; just what I need.
>
> I can set a Start, and an End TRIM for taking out and creating a new
> video of just what I want.
>
> But, how can I select several pieces; e.g., perhaps 3 or 4 Start/End
> Trims on the original Video ?
>
> Doing a single Start/Stop TRIM works fine, but it is the doing of
> multiple ones that I cannot figure out.
>
> As soon as i do a single TRIM, the trimmed piece shows up in the window,
> and I cannot therefore do any more on the original video. Or, see it.
>
> How does one do multiple TRIM's, please ? *There is a "TRIM Tool," but I
> cannot figure out how to use it at all; is this what I want, though ?
> If so, how does one use it, please ?
>
> Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore at my age, so specific detailed
> instructions would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks, appreciate the help,
> Bob

I don't have a lot of experience with movie maker. I played with it
briefly, but used a different program (Pinnacle) for most of my video
editing.

That said, look to see if there is a way to split the original clip
into mutliple clips. Most programs have this capability, either based
on a fixed time interval, or detecting break points in the video. You
may also be able to manually specify where to do the cut. If that is
not possible, see if you can duplicate the clip, and adjust the trim
for the various copies. That would be very wasteful in terms of disk
space, but might get you by until you figure out a better way.

otter 01-25-2013 07:25 PM

On Jan 25, 12:52*pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 7:25*am, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:
>

> > Hello,

> > I realize this might be a bit off topic for this Group, but I am not
> > sure where to Post my question, and my guess is that you folks might
> > know all about this. Hopefully.

> > Using Microsoft's Windows Live Movie Maker to edit a home video I took.

> > Simple basic program; just what I need.

> > I can set a Start, and an End TRIM for taking out and creating a new
> > video of just what I want.

> > But, how can I select several pieces; e.g., perhaps 3 or 4 Start/End
> > Trims on the original Video ?

> > Doing a single Start/Stop TRIM works fine, but it is the doing of
> > multiple ones that I cannot figure out.

> > As soon as i do a single TRIM, the trimmed piece shows up in the window,
> > and I cannot therefore do any more on the original video. Or, see it.

> > How does one do multiple TRIM's, please ? *There is a "TRIM Tool," but I
> > cannot figure out how to use it at all; is this what I want, though ?
> > If so, how does one use it, please ?

> > Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore at my age, so specific detailed
> > instructions would be most appreciated.

> > Thanks, appreciate the help,
> > Bob

> I don't have a lot of experience with movie maker. *I played with it
> briefly, but used a different program (Pinnacle) for most of my video
> editing.
>
> That said, look to see if there is a way to split the original clip
> into mutliple clips. *Most programs have this capability, either based
> on a fixed time interval, or detecting break points in the video. *You
> may also be able to manually specify where to do the cut. *If that is
> not possible, see if you can duplicate the clip, and adjust the trim
> for the various copies. *That would be very wasteful in terms of disk
> space, but might get you by until you figure out a better way.

Here is a brief tutorial. It looks like you can split video clips:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...er-get-started