Velocity Reviews

-   -   Else statement executing when it shouldnt (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956741-else-statement-executing-when-it-shouldnt.html)

eli m 01-21-2013 04:40 AM

Else statement executing when it shouldnt

an else statement is running when it shouldnt be. It is on the last line. Whenever i am in the math or game function, when i type in main, it goes back to the start of the program, but it also says not a valid function. I am stumped!
Here is my code:
#Cmd
#Created By Eli M.
#import modules
import random
import math
gtn = 0
print ("Type in help for a list of cmd functions")
#initiate main loop
cmd = 0
while cmd == 0:
#ask for input on function
function = raw_input("Type in a function:")
#start math loop
if function == "math":
run = 0
while run == 0:
#ask for math operation
type = raw_input("What math operation do you want to use?")
if type == "multiplication":
x = raw_input("Type in your first number:")
y = raw_input("Multiply your first number by:")
try:
ans = int(x) * int(y)
print (ans)
try:
ans = float(x) * float(y)
print (ans)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
except OverflowError, err:
print ("Number too large")
#division math function
if type == "division":
x = raw_input("Type in your first number:")
y = raw_input("Divide your first number by:")
try:
ans = float(x) / float(y)
print (ans)
except ZeroDivisionError, err:
print ("Can't divide by zero")
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
except OverflowError, err:
print ("Number too large")
#subtraction math function
if type == "subtraction":
x = raw_input("Type in your first number:")
y = raw_input("Subtract your first number by:")
try:
ans = float(x) - float(y)
print (ans)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
#addition math function
if type == "addition":
x = raw_input("Type in your first number:")
y = raw_input("Add your first number by:")
try:
ans = float(x) + float(y)
print (ans)
except ValueError, err:
try:
ans = int(x) + int(y)
print (ans)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
except OverflowError, err:
print ("Number too large")
#square root math function
if type == "square root":
x = raw_input("Type in your number:")
try:
y = float(x)
z = math.sqrt(y)
print (z)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
except OverflowError, err:
print ("Number too large")

#to the power of... math function
if type == "power":
x = raw_input("Type in your number:")
y = raw_input("Multiply your first number by the power of:")
try:
ans = float(x) ** float(y)
print (ans)
except OverflowError, err:
print ("Number too large")
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
#break the math loop
if type == "main":
run = 1
#absolute value math function
if type == "absolute value":
try:
x = float(raw_input("Type in your number:"))
y = math.fabs(x)
print (y)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
if function == "random number":
try:
x = int(raw_input("Minimum number:"))
y = int(raw_input("Maximum number:"))
num = random.randint(x, y)
print (num)
except ValueError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
if function == "games":
games = 0
while games == 0:
gamechoice = raw_input("What game do you want to play:")
if gamechoice == "guess the number":
run = 0
while run == 0:
print ("I am thinking of a number between 1 and 20")
num = random.randint(1, 20)
num = int(num)
guesses = 0
guessestaken = 0
while guesses == 0:
try:
guess = raw_input("Your guess:")
guess = int(guess)
guessestaken = (guessestaken) + 1
guessestaken = int(guessestaken)
if guess == (num):
print 'Correct! It took you', int(guessestaken), 'guesses!'
playagain = raw_input("Do you want to play again?")
if playagain == "yes":
guesses = 1
if playagain == "no":
run = 1
guesses = 1
if guess > num:
print ("My number is lower")
if guess < num:
print ("My number is higher")
except TypeError, err:
print ("Not a valid number")
if gamechoice == "main":
games = 1

#help function
if function == "help":
helpfunc = 0
while helpfunc == 0:
#show functions
print ("Functions:")
print ("Math: multiplication, division, subtraction, addition, square root, power, absolute value")
print ("Random Number")
print ("Games: Guess the number")
helpmain = raw_input("Type in main to go back")
if helpmain == "main":
#end helpfunction loop
helpfunc = 1
cmd = 0
else:
print ("Not a valid function")

Roy Smith 01-21-2013 04:47 AM

Re: Else statement executing when it shouldnt

In article <2cc6791f-ba56-406c-a5b0-b23023caf4bb@googlegroups.com>,
eli m <techgeek201@gmail.com> wrote:

> an else statement is running when it shouldnt be. It is on the last line.
> Whenever i am in the math or game function, when i type in main, it goes back
> to the start of the program, but it also says not a valid function. I am
> stumped!
> Here is my code:

[many lines of code elided]

TL;DNR :-)

A basic debugging technique is to try to find the minimum amount of code
that can reproduce the problem.

Find some hunk of lines that you're pretty sure can't be at fault, and
delete them. See if you can still reproduce the problem. Assuming you
can, delete another hunk of code. Keep going until you're down to the
smallest possible amount of code which demonstrates the problem.

There's a couple of good things that come out of this. One is that it's
likely that in the course of doing this, you'll figure out what's wrong.
The other is that if you can't figure it out, at least now you'll have
something that's easy to show somebody else when you ask for help.

Chris Angelico 01-21-2013 04:52 AM

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM, eli m <techgeek201@gmail.com> wrote:
> an else statement is running when it shouldnt be. It is on the last line. Whenever i am in the math or game function, when i type in main, it goes back to the start of the program, but it also says not a valid function. I am stumped!

Check your indentation levels. I see a few things here that look odd:

> if function == "help":
> while helpfunc == 0:
> if helpmain == "main":
> else:

What is the else meant to bind to? The innermost if? The 'if function
== "help"'? It's currently binding to the while.

Recommendation: Break this up! Your main loop is huge! It's way too
easy to get lost in it. And while you're at it, consider unifying some
of the similar blocks of code. The solution to both issues is simple:
Use functions. Have you been taught about them yet?

Also, side tip: Be honest about homework. I'm fairly sure that's what
this is. :)

ChrisA

eli m 01-21-2013 04:54 AM

Re: Else statement executing when it shouldnt

hint: Use the comments in the code to find out where my error is.

eli m 01-21-2013 04:55 AM

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:52:12 PM UTC-8, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM, eli m <techgeek201@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > an else statement is running when it shouldnt be. It is on the last line. Whenever i am in the math or game function, when i type in main, it goes back to the start of the program, but it also says not a valid function. I am stumped!

> Check your indentation levels. I see a few things here that look odd:
>

> > if function == "help":

> > while helpfunc == 0:

> > if helpmain == "main":

> > else:

> What is the else meant to bind to? The innermost if? The 'if function
>
> == "help"'? It's currently binding to the while.
>

> Recommendation: Break this up! Your main loop is huge! It's way too
>
> easy to get lost in it. And while you're at it, consider unifying some
>
> of the similar blocks of code. The solution to both issues is simple:
>
> Use functions. Have you been taught about them yet?
>

> Also, side tip: Be honest about homework. I'm fairly sure that's what
>
> this is. :)
>

> ChrisA

Its not homework. It is a personal project.

eli m 01-21-2013 04:55 AM

Mitya Sirenef 01-21-2013 04:57 AM

On 01/20/2013 11:40 PM, eli m wrote:
> [...]

> #to the power of... math function
> if type == "power":
> x = raw_input("Type in your number:")
> y = raw_input("Multiply your first number by the power of:")
> try:
> ans = float(x) ** float(y)
> print (ans)
> except OverflowError, err:
> print ("Number too large")
> except ValueError, err:
> print ("Not a valid number")
> #break the math loop
> if type == "main":
> run = 1
> #absolute value math function
> if type == "absolute value":
> try:
> x = float(raw_input("Type in your number:"))
> y = math.fabs(x)
> print (y)
> except ValueError, err:
> print ("Not a valid number")
> if function == "random number":
> try:
> x = int(raw_input("Minimum number:"))
> y = int(raw_input("Maximum number:"))
> num = random.randint(x, y)
> print (num)
> except ValueError, err:
> print ("Not a valid number")
> if function == "games":
> games = 0
> while games == 0:
> gamechoice = raw_input("What game do you want to play:")
> if gamechoice == "guess the number":
> run = 0
> while run == 0:
> print ("I am thinking of a number between 1 and 20")
> num = random.randint(1, 20)
> num = int(num)
> guesses = 0
> guessestaken = 0
> while guesses == 0:
> try:
> guess = raw_input("Your guess:")
> guess = int(guess)
> guessestaken = (guessestaken) + 1
> guessestaken = int(guessestaken)
> if guess == (num):
> print 'Correct! It took you', int(guessestaken), 'guesses!'
> playagain = raw_input("Do you want to play again?")
> if playagain == "yes":
> guesses = 1
> if playagain == "no":
> run = 1
> guesses = 1
> if guess > num:
> print ("My number is lower")
> if guess < num:
> print ("My number is higher")
> except TypeError, err:
> print ("Not a valid number")
> if gamechoice == "main":
> games = 1
>
> #help function
> if function == "help":
> helpfunc = 0
> while helpfunc == 0:
> #show functions
> print ("Functions:")
> print ("Math: multiplication, division, subtraction, addition, square

root, power, absolute value")
> print ("Random Number")
> print ("Games: Guess the number")
> helpmain = raw_input("Type in main to go back")

Your else is lined up with while, not with if.

-m

When a friend succeeds, I die a little. Gore Vidal

eli m 01-21-2013 04:57 AM

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:54:13 PM UTC-8, René Klačan wrote:
> You have to break while loop not to execute else branch
>

> Rene

Can you explain in more detail please.

eli m 01-21-2013 04:57 AM

eli m 01-21-2013 04:59 AM

Re: Else statement executing when it shouldnt

> Your else is lined up with while, not with if.
>

> -m
>

> --
>
> Lark's Tongue Guide to Python: http://lightbird.net/larks/
>

> When a friend succeeds, I die a little. Gore Vidal

Its lined up. It got messed up when i copied the code into the post.