Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Vote tallying... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956707-re-vote-tallying.html)

Dennis Lee Bieber 01-19-2013 09:22 PM

Re: Vote tallying...

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:58:17 +1100, Lie Ryan <lie.1296@gmail.com>

> That is not quite true. With most client libraries, including MySQLdb,
> connection to localhost goes through a local unix socket (or named pipe
> in Windows) instead of the TCP stack.

Named pipe is only available is MySQL was configured to use one.
Named pipes are only available on the NT-derived Windows OS (which is
likely all still running) -- MySQL could be run on W9x without named
pipes, and even on WinXP my installation does not activate named pipes.

> Which is the same restriction as when using XML/JSON. What it means by
> locking the entire database is that an sqlite database can only be
> read/written by a single program at any moment in time. For batch

Actually, SQLite3 will happily permit multiple readers (or did, the
newest version may have a new locking scheme). However, the first
connection that seeks to write will block as long as open readers are
active, yet will also block /new/ readers. When the open readers close,
the write can complete, and then new readers can enter. Conclusion:
ensure that even read-only operations have a "commit" operation to close
them
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/