Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Vote tallying... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956697-re-vote-tallying.html)

Lie Ryan 01-19-2013 11:58 AM

Re: Vote tallying...

On 19/01/13 00:43, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> On 01/18/2013 08:47 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Andrew Robinson, 18.01.2013 00:59:
>>> I have a problem which may fit in a mysql database

>> Everything fits in a MySQL database - not a reason to use it, though.
>> Py2.5
>> and later ship with sqlite3 and if you go for an external database,
>> why use
>> MySQL if you can have PostgreSQL for the same price?

> MySQL is provided by the present server host. It's pretty standard at
> web hosting sites.
> It works through "import MySQLdb" -- and it means an IP call for every
> action...

That is not quite true. With most client libraries, including MySQLdb,
connection to localhost goes through a local unix socket (or named pipe
in Windows) instead of the TCP stack.

> But
> it wants to lock the entire database against reads as well as writes
> when any access of the database happens. Which is bad...

Which is the same restriction as when using XML/JSON. What it means by
locking the entire database is that an sqlite database can only be
read/written by a single program at any moment in time. For batch
processing, locking the entire database is never going to be a problem;
for CGI scripts (and their variants), it may be a performance bottleneck
for extremely high volume websites.