Velocity Reviews

-   -   EonNAS 1100 NAS Network Storage Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956582-eonnas-1100-nas-network-storage-server.html)

Becky 01-16-2013 05:47 PM

EonNAS 1100 NAS Network Storage Server

Benchmark Reviews have taken a look at the EonNAS 1100 NAS Network Storage Server:

Quote:

"Data Rot! Ever hear that term? No? The truth is, most of us have experienced it in one form or another. Every time one of your old floppy drives gave up the ghost and you lost some files, you experienced it. The trouble is, we all thought the problem went away when we got rid of "soft" media like tape, and it's circular cousin, the floppy disk. All digital storage technologies: CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HDD, SSD, NAND - they're all susceptible to data rot, or bit rot, as it's sometimes called. Benchmark Reviews recently highlighted the reliability issues that SSD users are experiencing, and although the failure modes for those devices usually produce what is known as a "brick", the large number of flash memory failures in these devices has been an eye-opening experience for consumers. We can instinctively comprehend how a hard drive "crashes", but we're not so clear on how electrons disappear.

Fortunately, the people who create, deploy, and maintain large data centers have been aware of this issue for a long time, and they prompted device manufacturers to devise ways of dealing with it. Now, for the first time, those techniques are being made available to the general consumer, with some innovative new products from Infortrend. The key to maintaining a consistently high level of data integrity is found in the ZFS file system employed in the EonNAS 1000 series. ZFS features an extensive hierarchical checksum strategy, which eliminates what is often called "silent" data corruption with self-healing storage algorithms. Operating way down at the file system level, ZFS attacks data rot where it starts, at the bit, byte, and block level."
You can read their full review here.