Velocity Reviews

-   -   Alternative to datagrid control in framework 4.0 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956546-alternative-to-datagrid-control-in-framework-4-0-a.html)

Big George 01-15-2013 11:04 PM

Alternative to datagrid control in framework 4.0

Hello,

Many years ago I developed a web site in asp.net 1.1. Then I switched
to a database position.

Now, for job reasons, I have to go back to programming in ASP.NET. I
would use framework 4.0.

My web application in asp.net 1.1 used a lot of datagrid controls. I
suppose that datagid control is now deprecated. What would be the new
better control that replaces datagrid in framework 4.0?

Arne Vajh°j 01-16-2013 02:24 AM

Re: Alternative to datagrid control in framework 4.0

On 1/15/2013 6:04 PM, Big George wrote:
> Many years ago I developed a web site in asp.net 1.1. Then I switched
> to a database position.
>
> Now, for job reasons, I have to go back to programming in ASP.NET. I
> would use framework 4.0.
>
> My web application in asp.net 1.1 used a lot of datagrid controls. I
> suppose that datagid control is now deprecated. What would be the new
> better control that replaces datagrid in framework 4.0?

I would say GridView.

Also note that besides ASP.NET Web Forms now you can also choose
ASP.NET MVC !

Arne

Big George 01-16-2013 01:11 PM

Re: Alternative to datagrid control in framework 4.0

Thanks for your opinion.

I heard that learning MVC is more difficult than web forms, do you
think so?

Arne Vajh°j 01-16-2013 01:48 PM

On 1/16/2013 8:11 AM, Big George wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> On 1/15/2013 6:04 PM, Big George wrote:
>>> Many years ago I developed a web site in asp.net 1.1. Then I switched
>>> to a database position.
>>>
>>> Now, for job reasons, I have to go back to programming in ASP.NET. I
>>> would use framework 4.0.
>>>
>>> My web application in asp.net 1.1 used a lot of datagrid controls. I
>>> suppose that datagid control is now deprecated. What would be the new
>>> better control that replaces datagrid in framework 4.0?

>> I would say GridView.
>>
>> Also note that besides ASP.NET Web Forms now you can also choose
>> ASP.NET MVC !

> I heard that learning MVC is more difficult than web forms, do you
> think so?

No. Especially not if you have experience with a PHP/Java/Ruby/Python
MVC web framework.

Arne

Mahernoz 01-28-2013 02:58 PM

Re: Alternative to datagrid control in framework 4.0

Yes, it has a learning curve. Once u get adjusted with it, you will have a better architecture to work with.