Velocity Reviews

-   -   Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956439-better-sensor-nikon-d90-or-d5100.html)

Ron 01-11-2013 09:33 PM

Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100?

Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
quality?

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

Alex Monro 01-11-2013 09:48 PM

Re: Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100?

Ron wrote:

> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
> quality?

I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
ahead of the sensor in the D90.

See DXOmark:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...nsors/Compare-
cameras-side-by-
side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK

Ron 01-11-2013 11:57 PM

Alex Monro <nospamdeleteabusenews@argaty.org.uk> wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> > Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
> > has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
> > quality?
> >

> I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
> Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
> ahead of the sensor in the D90.
>
> See DXOmark:
> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...nsors/Compare-
> cameras-side-by-
> side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

Wow, great comparison tool. Thanks.
--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

Mort 01-12-2013 01:34 AM

Alex Monro wrote:
> Ron wrote:
>
>> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
>> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
>> quality?
>>

> I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
> Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
> ahead of the sensor in the D90.
>
> See DXOmark:
> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...nsors/Compare-
> cameras-side-by-
> side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

Hi,

I clicked onto your link and go an on-screen message, "module not
found". Is your link correct? Is there another link to that comparison site?

Thanks.

Mort Linder

David Dyer-Bennet 01-12-2013 05:11 AM

RonTheGuy@null.invalid (Ron) writes:

> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
> quality?

They're far enough apart in time that you can near-certainly choose the
newer one. Especially since they're in vaguely similar parts of the
product line.

So that should be the D5100.

(D5200 just got released in the US this week I believe.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Mort 01-12-2013 09:02 PM

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-11 17:34:13 -0800, Mort <mort@cloud9.net> said:
>
>> Alex Monro wrote:

>>> I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
>>> Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
>>> ahead of the sensor in the D90.
>>>
>>> See DXOmark:
>>> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...nsors/Compare-
>>> cameras-side-by-
>>> side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I clicked onto your link and go an on-screen message, "module not
>> found". Is your link correct? Is there another link to that comparison
>> site?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mort Linder

> That is a somewhat fractured URL.
> It is always best to contain pasted long URL's like so:
> <
> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand2)/Nikon
>

> or use a shortener such as TinyURL;
>
> < http://tinyurl.com/d6b3nmz >

Thanks a lot. Your shortened tinyurl link worked nicely.

Mort Linder

Rob 01-22-2013 12:16 AM

On 12/01/2013 4:11 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> RonTheGuy@null.invalid (Ron) writes:
>
>> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
>> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
>> quality?

> They're far enough apart in time that you can near-certainly choose the
> newer one. Especially since they're in vaguely similar parts of the
> product line.
>
> So that should be the D5100.
>
> (D5200 just got released in the US this week I believe.)

Do you need the 5100 (or 5200) quite a few have bought the 3200 (22MP)
and shoing great results. This is even cheaper that the D90.