Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956331-how-do-you-clean-a-nikon-slr-and-strap-covered-in-toxic-chemicals.html)

Danny D. 01-09-2013 05:22 AM

How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals?

My Nikon SLR was used to take pictures for this alt.home.repair thread:
- Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?
- https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ir/jwLrdiR0Fs4

The Nikon camera and strap are slathered in toxic urushiol:

Here, for example, is a video I just took with the camera:
http://youtu.be/qYcJslc6ymE

And, here is just one picture of the battle the camera is in:

Since urushiol is known to remain toxic for over 100 years,
and since it takes only a nanogram to infect a person,
I ask you experts how YOU clean your SLR cameras and straps
without destroying them?

M-M 01-09-2013 06:40 AM

Re: How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals?

In article <kciuq4$4ig$3@speranza.aioe.org>,
"Danny D." <dannyd@notyahoo.com> wrote:

> My Nikon SLR was used to take pictures for this alt.home.repair thread:
> - Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?
> -
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...air/jwLrdiR0Fs
> 4
>
> The Nikon camera and strap are slathered in toxic urushiol:
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917747.jpg
>
> Here, for example, is a video I just took with the camera:
> http://youtu.be/qYcJslc6ymE
>
> And, here is just one picture of the battle the camera is in:
> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917744.jpg
>
> Since urushiol is known to remain toxic for over 100 years,
> and since it takes only a nanogram to infect a person,
> I ask you experts how YOU clean your SLR cameras and straps
> without destroying them?

Wear rubber gloves.
Remove straps and wash with soap and water
Clean camera with Windex soaked cloth and a toothbrush if necessary
Discard gloves

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

Martin Brown 01-09-2013 07:46 AM

On 09/01/2013 05:22, Danny D. wrote:
> My Nikon SLR was used to take pictures for this alt.home.repair thread:
> - Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?
> - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ir/jwLrdiR0Fs4
>
> The Nikon camera and strap are slathered in toxic urushiol:
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917747.jpg
>
> Here, for example, is a video I just took with the camera:
> http://youtu.be/qYcJslc6ymE
>
> And, here is just one picture of the battle the camera is in:
> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917744.jpg
>
> Since urushiol is known to remain toxic for over 100 years,
> and since it takes only a nanogram to infect a person,
> I ask you experts how YOU clean your SLR cameras and straps
> without destroying them?

You ask a difficult question. One way to detox urushiol contamination is
described in US Patent 4,594,239 (a statement of the blindingly obvious
IMHO and not at all worthy of a patent).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...9&RS=4,594,239

Basically throw away the fabric strap as you will never get it clean
enough. Next time either use a sacrificial cheap camera or a waterproof
casing when you go into a hostile toxic chemical environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

It is also soluble in alcohol which might help you get the worst of it
off the metal components. It may already have diffused into any plastic.
I suspect that using hypochlorite (bleach) carefully on your camera
externally might clean it satisfactorily but will also shorten its
working life due to chloride corrosion.

You might get a better answer in sci.chem from someone who has had
practical experience of removing natural urushiol resins from objects.

Basically you should have known that you were going into a badly
contaminated environment with the natural equivalent of mustard gas and
handled the camera inside a plastic and with easy clean plastic straps.

If I had to photograph it today I would probably have just used a cheap
sacrificial camera or strictly enforced clean handling.

Not sure I would trust welding gloves to keep it out either.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown 01-09-2013 01:09 PM

On 09/01/2013 12:57, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-09 00:56:46 -0800, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 05:22:12 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
>> <dannyd@notyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My Nikon SLR was used to take pictures for this alt.home.repair thread:
>>> - Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a
>>> chainsaw?
>>> -
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ir/jwLrdiR0Fs4
>>>

> The
>>>
>>> Nikon camera and strap are slathered in toxic urushiol:
>>> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917747.jpg
>>>
>>> Here, for example, is a video I just took with the camera:
>>> http://youtu.be/qYcJslc6ymE
>>>
>>> And, here is just one picture of the battle the camera is in:
>>> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917744.jpg
>>>
>>> Since urushiol is known to remain toxic for over 100 years,
>>> and since it takes only a nanogram to infect a person,
>>> I ask you experts how YOU clean your SLR cameras and straps
>>> without destroying them?

>> I think the answer may be "you don't".

> You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. So you make the attempt.

Actually if you fail to detox it properly you will have a very
unpleasant experience from contact dermatitis. Similarly if you are
slightly careless whilst trying to clean it the same applies.

That is why I would recommend throwing the strap away.

The camera body itself is worth cleaning but it would have been much
better not to have contaminated it in the first place.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Danny D. 01-09-2013 05:56 PM

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:40:44 -0500, M-M wrote:

> Wear rubber gloves.
> Remove straps and wash with soap and water Clean camera with Windex
> soaked cloth and a toothbrush if necessary Discard gloves

The toothbrush idea helps because I was washing with an alcohol and
bleach mix but doing so very delicately.

Danny D. 01-10-2013 12:20 AM

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:04:21 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Most Poison Oak clearing I have seen was done with mattock, pick and
> shovel, not a chainsaw due to the problem you have just experienced.

This is a grove that would be nearly impossible by one man to
clear with a pick and shovel. See why in this full-size picture:

You can't get a truck/tractor down into that steep ravine, and, you
certainly can't even think of spraying it (without a chopper).

The a.h.r thread was trying to find better ways to remove it and I was
snapping photos of the progress as I removed a 20 foot by 10 foot swath
of the stuff. The oil is literally dripping on the camera.

> remove the strap from the camera and drop it in the
> washing machine with all your contaminated clothes. DO NOT CROSS
> CONTAMINATE untainted clothes in the washing machine.

THIS IS what I was wondering about. I get covered in urushiol sap all the
time and just a single 90-minute wash (cross contaminated or not) works
just fine. But I didn't know if it would ruin the strap.

So, if the strap won't be ruined by washing - then that's no problem
whatsoever as I have tons of experience with poison oak sap in the wash.
The only thing bad that happens to clothes is the black oxidized sap is
all over the place as shown in this picture of my shirt & gloves:

> dump the strap and the contaminated clothes in the garbage.

Only the government can afford to waste perfectly good (but contaminated
clothing). The wash will work fine.

> two bowls or containers Cotton swabs and cotton balls Dishwashing
> detergent a bottle of isopropyl alcohol

I just read the patent that was wonderfully pointed out
http://tinyurl.com/ah7myn3
and that is what I'll use. The cotton swabs are a good idea (along with a
toothbrush someone else suggested). The only thing is I don't know what
chlorine & alcohol or acetone will do to the printed text on the Nikon
D5000 SLR.

> Remove the battery from the camera.
> I would also remove the rubber viewfinder eye-piece cup.

Both good ideas!

> Now you should have a decontaminated Nikon.

I like your ideas! Thanks. I'll report back, although the only true
measure of success removing something you can't see is if my wife doesn't
get contaminated while using my camera! :)

Danny D. 01-10-2013 12:26 AM

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 07:46:22 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> You ask a difficult question. One way to detox urushiol contamination is
> described in US Patent 4,594,239 (a statement of the blindingly obvious
> IMHO and not at all worthy of a patent).

That was a F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C reference!

That one post makes this entire thread worthwhile (to me)!

(i.e., I knew people would say not to use a Nikon D5000 camera in rough
conditions because most people baby their cameras - but I had not
expected such a PERFECTLY focused answer, targeted on the problem!)

I read that patent page over and over and over again!

so the body no longer recognizes the skin as human, and attacks it.

That effect is actually fairly easy to interfere with. Pretty much any
change to the urushiol molecule would probably prevent dermatitis.

Chlorine bleach is a strong oxidizing agent, and should easily do the
trick. Getting it into the oil would be aided by adding alcohol or
acetone as a wetting agent, but a strong surfactant should also work.

The patent prefers a solution of acetone + butyl acetate +
trichloroisocyanuric acid for neutralizing urushiol on skin, clothes, and
equipment; but if I preferentially select just the common household
chemicals discussed, the patent seems says that 2% to 6% common bleach
alone or combined with 5% to 20% rubbing alcohol (or acetone) as a
wetting agent will neutralize urushiol in about 1 minute.

The patent even explains how adding certain ferrous compounds will
actually make the toxic urushiol glow green, while the decontaminated
urushiol will not.

That is a rare find on the usenet. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
(How did you find it? I've been looking for years for a solution!)

Danny D. 01-10-2013 05:36 AM

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:24:57 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> In that case, if access is so tough, why do you need to clear it?

I'm sorry if I ever intimated I 'must' clear it. It's land. It's covered
in Pacific Poison Oak. I just want to walk on it. There no dire 'need'.
Either the poison oaks wins, or I win. I have the same battle with Scotch
Broom and Spanish Broom. It's either them, or me. :)

> Taking an unprotected camera along, and having it where you
> would actually drip the PO oil onto it was an even worse idea.

My camera goes where I go. That means it goes kayaking and skiing.
Yes, I break cameras all the time. My next Nikon SLR is NOT going to have
a crappy plastic lens mount, for example. But that's for another thread.

> DO NOT CROSS CONTAMINATE untainted clothes in the washing machine.

As you can imagine, I have a LOT of experience washing urushiol-sap
soaked clothes. I put the mine & the kids underwear in the same load.
It's amazing, but, washing for 90 minutes works just fine, despite all
the things on the net that say otherwise. YMMV.

> The worst that can happen is you have to replace the strap.

The strap is going in the wash! I'll let you know the outcome.
Tomorrow I'll also start swabbing down the camera.
My poison oak rash is just starting - but it's not too bad.

> Yup! I know those stains well.

Then you know urushiol! Everyone who tells me they got poison oak or ivy,
I ask if they had the black stains. If they don't know what I'm talking
about, then I know they have no clue. It's like the difference of being
in the front line versus the rear echelon. You can tell right away how
much they've actually 'battled' the urushiol sap!

> DO NOT USE CHLORINE OR ACETONE ON THE CAMERA AT ALL!!

That was what I was worried about. I don't want to ruin the camera just
by cleaning it. I think the pool trichlor might not be too bad on the
camera, but, I'm still looking that up and need to test on some clothes
first. I'll be an expert at this by the end - but I'm nowhere near where
I need to be on knowledge yet as I'm just starting to learn.

> BTW: Where in California is this?

Santa Cruz mountains. Up in the hills. Mountain country.

Danny D. 01-10-2013 05:45 AM

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:42:02 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> BTW: There is also this:
> The UC Davis site suggests using Tecnu for first aid

I don't disagree that Technu/IvyBlock/Zanfel, etc. are great products.
The government spends half its firefighting budget on gallons of that
expensive stuff.

Me?

I've studied the ingredients to understand what each does, and that's how
I have come up with the approach that I use.
- Driller's clay (blockers, i.e., poor-man's ivy block)
- Dish detergent (surfactants, i.e., poor-man's Technu/Zanfel)
- Alcohol or acetone (wetting agents, i.e., poor-man's Technu/Zanfel)
- Bleach or chloramines (oxidizing agents, i.e., poor-man's Technu/Zanfel)

The only thing I can say about 'my' approach using common household
chemicals compared to the miracle solutions is that my solutions are, for
the most part, the same as in the miracle tubes, yet mine are VASTLY
cheaper than the store-bought solutions.

Of course, I have no access to spermicides & polyethylene granules, but I
do have easy grocery-store access to sodium laurel sulfate, bleaches, &
chloramines, plus every time I stop by a well drilling operation, I ask
for a handful of bentonite.

BTW, DO YOU KNOW where we can buy spermicides & polyethylene granules?
(I never thought about buying them until now.)