Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: import of ttk (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956181-re-import-of-ttk.html)

Terry Reedy 01-05-2013 10:29 PM

Re: import of ttk

On 1/5/2013 2:21 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 11:39 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 1/4/2013 11:02 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
>>> In reading through one of the learning articles, I have a bit of code
>>> that imports ttk, but I apparently don't have this installed. I've
>>> looked up the svn checkout for python-tk, and have checked it out
>>> (read-only), but still get the same error. I'm running 2.6.6 python, if
>>> that helps.

Upgrade to the latest 2.7 or even 3.3 if at all possible.

>> Show the line of code that did not work and the traceback. What system
>> are you running on and what tcl/tk installation does it have? ttk is
>> included with any 8.5 installation. tile is often included with 8.4
>> installations and should be picked up as well.
>>
>> The article I'm looking at is here -
>>> http://www.zetcode.com/gui/tkinter/introduction/

> The line is -
> 16 from ttk import Frame, Button, Style
>
> $ python tkinter_tut1.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "tkinter_tut1.py", line 16, in <module>
> from ttk import Frame, Button, Style
> ImportError: No module named ttk
>
> I'm running on Debian Squeeze, and do show both 8.4 and 8.5 of tcl

On my Windows 2.7 installation, directory /Lib contains directory
/lib-tk (which is added to the path). /lib-tk contains files Tkinter.py
and ttk.py, among others. If you have ttk.py, then I do not think you
should get that specific message; if there were a problem finding
tcl/tk, it should say something else. If you do not have that file, as
it seems, then your installation is incomplete. So check your
/Lib/lib-tk. If you do not know where it is

import sys
print(sys.path)

Portability note: In 3.x, /lib-tk was renamed /tkinter and removed from
the path. Tkinter.py was renamed __init__.py to make the renamed
/tkinter an importable package. So 'import Tkinter becomes 'import
tkinter', while 'import ttk', etcetera, is now 'import tkinter.ttk',
etcetera. 2to3 should make the fixes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy