Velocity Reviews

-   -   Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?.. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956087-strange-fonts-in-win-7-a.html)

tony sayer 01-03-2013 01:38 PM

Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
appreciated..

"Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.

If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
italic's.

Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".

course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
wouldn't would they;!..

So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

Cheers...

--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News) 01-03-2013 01:55 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

In article <W2TWz7ARnY5QFwT2@bancom.co.uk>,
tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.

You can set the font in FireFox Options Content - think the default is
Times New Roman, size 16.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mentalguy2k8 01-03-2013 02:14 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message

> Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
> appreciated..
>
> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
>
> If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
> font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
> others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
> italic's.
>
> Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
> is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
> WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
>
> course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
> wouldn't would they;!..
>
> So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
> control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
>
> Cheers...

I don't have Win7 but it's possible someone has turned something on in your
accessibility settings to make it easier for "visually impaired" people to
read screen content.

eg:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-High-Contrast

Or it could simply be that they've changed your theme:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-desktop-theme

zulu 01-03-2013 02:16 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message

> Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
> appreciated..
>
> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
>
> If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
> font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
> others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
> italic's.
>
> Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
> is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
> WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
>
> course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
> wouldn't would they;!..
>
> So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
> control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
>
> Cheers...

No experience of Win7, I'm still on XP, bit it sounds like someone has been
playing with *Themes*.
Won't *System Restore* fix it?

--
zulu

Brian Gaff 01-03-2013 05:25 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

Yes themes are great for bored people to play with are they not. However I'd
go along with you on the bold font, but why would anyone use italics? There
are so many roads to this in web browsers, like style sheets, and personal
prefs etc, but if some non html programs are doing it then it sounds like
someone has had a lot of fiddling to do. Normally there are defaults you can
set.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Paul Drahn 01-03-2013 05:50 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

On 1/3/2013 8:56 AM, John Rumm wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 13:38, tony sayer wrote:
>>
>> Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
>> appreciated..
>>
>> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
>> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
>>
>> If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
>> font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
>> others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
>> italic's.
>>
>> Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
>> is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
>> WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
>>
>> course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
>> wouldn't would they;!..
>>
>> So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
>> control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

> It may not be the cause of all the things you are seeing, but one simple
> thing to check is that they have not simply changed the zoom level in
> firefox, since it remembers your setting for each site. That can make
> fonts look a bit different. Hold the Ctrl key and press 0 to return to
> default zoom. (or use + or - or the mouse wheel to shift sizes up and down)

I had that same problem crop up on the HSM web site. I tried the CTRL-0
and it restored everything back to normal. I will try to remember the
trick if I encounter it again.

Thanks, Paul

tony sayer 01-03-2013 06:00 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

In article <W2TWz7ARnY5QFwT2@bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer
<tony@bancom.co.uk> scribeth thus

>Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
>appreciated..
>
>"Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
>Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
>
>If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
>font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
>others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
>italic's.
>
>Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
>is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
>WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
>
>course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
>wouldn't would they;!..
>
>So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
>control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

Thanks to all who replied. As far as I could make out the themes were as
they were, zoom as it was and Firefox defaults were as they should be.

However did a three day rollback and mysteriously all is now as it
should be:)

Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

cheers...

--
Tony Sayer

Brian Morrison 01-03-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

--

Brian Morrison

Huge 01-03-2013 06:32 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

On 2013-01-03, Brian Morrison <bdm@fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
> tony sayer wrote:
>
>> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

> Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

Give the little sod his own machine, with no admin access.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 3rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3179
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.

tony sayer 01-03-2013 06:43 PM

Re: Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

In article <20130103180656.00006b60@surtees.fenrir.org.uk>, Brian
Morrison <bdm@fenrir.org.uk> scribeth thus
>On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
>tony sayer wrote:
>
>> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

>Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

Well it was a visitors child who saw this nice PC and thought no one
would mind as she at a very early age is an expert on computers
according to her mum;!...
--
Tony Sayer