Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just for Grandma (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956052-just-for-grandma.html)

Frank Williams 01-02-2013 07:46 AM

Just for Grandma

Virus programs are just a Money

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

Geopelia 01-03-2013 03:42 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

"Crash McBash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message
news:3aq9e85snqma64cgtsmge6vin53c4nlntt@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:46:01 +1300, Frank Williams
> <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>

>>Virus programs are just a Money
>>

>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

> I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
> protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
> protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
> which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
> activity.

I have Trend Micro which does all that, and probably a lot more if I knew
how to use it.

I'm waiting for the backup disc to arrive for 2013.
Does anyone know if I can install from the disc instead of the download? I
installed the 3 months trial from a disc.
I ask Trend micro things but they never answer what I asked, and their Help
page never tells me what I want to know. They send me pages of stuff to
print out that has nothing to do with what I asked them.
Otherwise they seem a very good firm.

Now wait for the avalanche of posts telling me I am wasting my money etc!

Donchano 01-03-2013 07:57 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:19:19 +1300, Crash McBash
<nogood@dontbother.invalid> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:46:01 +1300, Frank Williams
><FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>

>>Virus programs are just a Money
>>

>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

>I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
>protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
>protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
>which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
>activity.
>
>Regards,

I've used paid A/V software since the early-90s. F-Prot is one of the
early ones I remember. I also used ZoneAlarm until ZoneAlarm Pro
became so unwieldy that I had to go through the demanding task of
uninstalling the resource hog.

Now I use a three-license version Avira Internet Security 2013 on my
PC, laptop and our daughter/s-i-l's PC. As a back-up I also use
Malwarebytes freeware version for the occasional scan. After F-Prot
decided to go corporate and ignore the personal user I used to use
various versions of Kaspersky. But when it also became a resource hog
I dumped it.

Gordon 01-04-2013 05:40 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

On 2013-01-03, Geopelia <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Crash McBash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:46:01 +1300, Frank Williams
>> <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>>

>>>Virus programs are just a Money
>>>

>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

>> I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
>> protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
>> protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
>> which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
>> activity.

> I have Trend Micro which does all that, and probably a lot more if I knew
> how to use it.
>
> I'm waiting for the backup disc to arrive for 2013.
> Does anyone know if I can install from the disc instead of the download? I
> installed the 3 months trial from a disc.
> I ask Trend micro things but they never answer what I asked, and their Help
> page never tells me what I want to know. They send me pages of stuff to
> print out that has nothing to do with what I asked them.
> Otherwise they seem a very good firm.

The term Faint praise indeed comes to mind.

> Now wait for the avalanche of posts telling me I am wasting my money etc!

So, Gentle reader, Geo is going to carry on as normal.;-)

Geopelia 01-04-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Just for Grandma

"Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> On 2013-01-03, Geopelia <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Crash McBash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
>>> protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
>>> protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
>>> which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
>>> activity.

>> I have Trend Micro which does all that, and probably a lot more if I knew
>> how to use it.
>>
>> I'm waiting for the backup disc to arrive for 2013.
>> Does anyone know if I can install from the disc instead of the download?
>> installed the 3 months trial from a disc.
>> I ask Trend micro things but they never answer what I asked, and their
>> Help
>> page never tells me what I want to know. They send me pages of stuff to
>> print out that has nothing to do with what I asked them.
>> Otherwise they seem a very good firm.

> The term Faint praise indeed comes to mind.

As long as their product does the job, do their clerical shortcomings really
matter?

>> Now wait for the avalanche of posts telling me I am wasting my money etc!
>>

> So, Gentle reader, Geo is going to carry on as normal.;-)

And no doubt I'll still be annoying some folks here with silly questions.

Happy New Year to all!

Geopelia 01-05-2013 12:03 PM

Re: Just for Grandma

"geoff" <geoff@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> I've used paid A/V software since the early-90s. F-Prot is one of the
>> early ones I remember. I also used ZoneAlarm until ZoneAlarm Pro
>> became so unwieldy that I had to go through the demanding task of
>> uninstalling the resource hog.
>>
>> Now I use a three-license version Avira Internet Security 2013 on my
>> PC, laptop and our daughter/s-i-l's PC. As a back-up I also use
>> Malwarebytes freeware version for the occasional scan. After F-Prot
>> decided to go corporate and ignore the personal user I used to use
>> various versions of Kaspersky. But when it also became a resource hog
>> I dumped it.

> I've moved from ZoneAlarm (which eventually ended up grabbed all the CPU
> for extended periods) to Advanced System Care Pro, which does all sorts of
> other optimisations and PC / Win cleanups - if you want it to. wITHOUT THE
> SYSTEM HIT OF za. Ooops capslock.
>
> geoff

I leave it to the computer man. Trend micro was installed when I got the
computer and I just get the updates as they come out.

Donchano 01-05-2013 08:28 PM

Re: Just for Grandma

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 18:32:02 +1300, "geoff" <geoff@nospampaf.co.nz>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> I've used paid A/V software since the early-90s. F-Prot is one of the
>> early ones I remember. I also used ZoneAlarm until ZoneAlarm Pro
>> became so unwieldy that I had to go through the demanding task of
>> uninstalling the resource hog.

<snip>
>I've moved from ZoneAlarm (which eventually ended up grabbed all the CPU for
>extended periods) to Advanced System Care Pro, which does all sorts of other
>optimisations and PC / Win cleanups - if you want it to. wITHOUT THE SYSTEM
>HIT OF za. Ooops capslock.
>
>geoff

ZoneAlram Pro turned out to be the biggest resource hog I've ever had
on a computer. And the more they updated, the slower my last computer
got. I'd paid for a three year subscription when I upgraded to ZAP and
I wasn't happy. Ended up phoning the then CEO at their offices in San
Francisco. Didn't get to speak with him, of course. But spoke with
some assistant, who was pretty surprised to get a call from a customer
in NZ telling him their product was causing so many problems.

He admitted they were aware of some "issues" and - guess what - they
were "working on resolving them." Sound familiar?

Anyway, I got a full refund and an email with instructions on how to
completely remove ZAP from my system. IIRC it was three pages once I
printed it out. Also got a letter from the CEO apologising for the
"inconvience" and hoping I'd reconsider my decision to leave the fold.

Once it was removed and I did a defrag, my computer ran like greased
lightening in comparison. My current firewall is part of the Avira
suite I now have.

Dave Doe 01-07-2013 01:34 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

In article <3aq9e85snqma64cgtsmge6vin53c4nlntt@4ax.com>,
nogood@dontbother.invalid, Crash McBash says...

> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:46:01 +1300, Frank Williams
> <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>

> >Virus programs are just a Money
> >

> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

> I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
> protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
> protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
> which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
> activity.

Have you tried out Microsoft's Family Safety (part of the Windows Live
sutie). Pretty damn good, IMO.

If you've tried it out, then I'd like to hear your comparison.

Personally, I don't run such s/w on my own PC (no kids on it, ever! :) -
but I do use Microsoft's free AV product, Microsoft Security Essentials,
which I find excellent. Low on resources, and it "just works".

I wouldn't touch Norton/Symantec with a 40' barge pole, or even two 40'
barge poles joined together. And like others, I've questioned Geo as to
why a user like her (low risk IMO), would bother to *pay* for an AV
product. Just throwing money away. One can only presume Geo is quite
wealthy and can afford to burn money.

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams 01-07-2013 06:31 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:34:29 +1300, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:

>In article <3aq9e85snqma64cgtsmge6vin53c4nlntt@4ax.com>,
>nogood@dontbother.invalid, Crash McBash says...
>>
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 20:46:01 +1300, Frank Williams
>> <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>>

>> >Virus programs are just a Money
>> >

>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

>> I would be interested to know how many who post here pay for AV
>> protection on its own. Personally I buy and pay for 'internet
>> protection', being a firewall/AV/browser/malware/spyware detection
>> which also comes with the ability to manage the grandkids internet
>> activity.

>Have you tried out Microsoft's Family Safety (part of the Windows Live
>sutie). Pretty damn good, IMO.
>
>If you've tried it out, then I'd like to hear your comparison.
>
>Personally, I don't run such s/w on my own PC (no kids on it, ever! :) -
>but I do use Microsoft's free AV product, Microsoft Security Essentials,
>which I find excellent. Low on resources, and it "just works".
>
>I wouldn't touch Norton/Symantec with a 40' barge pole, or even two 40'
>barge poles joined together. And like others, I've questioned Geo as to
>why a user like her (low risk IMO), would bother to *pay* for an AV
>product. Just throwing money away. One can only presume Geo is quite
>wealthy and can afford to burn money.

Its her 6 Year old computer expert that Geo uses.

So easily to lead older people up the path.

But Geo does not listen to any one here so why does Geo bothers to post
when totally stubborn and wont listen to any ones advice..

Geopelia 01-07-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Just for Grandma

"geoff" <geoff@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote in message
news:m8GdnSqCh_sZH3fNnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> "Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>> In article <3aq9e85snqma64cgtsmge6vin53c4nlntt@4ax.com>,
>> nogood@dontbother.invalid, Crash McBash says...
>>>

> ".
>>
>> I wouldn't touch Norton/Symantec with a 40' barge pole, or even two 40'
>> barge poles joined together. And like others, I've questioned Geo as to
>> why a user like her (low risk IMO), would bother to *pay* for an AV
>> product. Just throwing money away. One can only presume Geo is quite
>> wealthy and can afford to burn money.

> I'd say Geo would be a moderate risk, like many of us, as all you need to
> do is to be tricked to clicking a link, or opening a legit-looking
> attachment ...
>
> geoff

I'm not wealthy, just living on the pension. But I would rather pay to have
a usable computer than go boozing in nightclubs or visiting fancy
restaurants. And I make my own dresses, I'm not paying ridiculous prices
like the stuff in Canvas.(That's in the Herald).
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Trend micro seems all right so far. When I click anything dangerous a page
comes up all in red saying Dangerous Page.

Geopelia