Velocity Reviews

-   -   DOS LABEL utility? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t956029-dos-label-utility.html)

Robert Baer 01-01-2013 09:26 AM

DOS LABEL utility?

The baby bird (Goo-gull) is of no help; i am trying to find a
-->DOS<-- utility (_not_ a Windoze version) for labeling drive volumes.

Help?

Paul 01-01-2013 09:41 AM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Robert Baer wrote:
> The baby bird (Goo-gull) is of no help; i am trying to find a
> -->DOS<-- utility (_not_ a Windoze version) for labeling drive volumes.
>
> Help?

See the "label" command here.

http://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/

Paul

Robert Baer 01-01-2013 06:07 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> The baby bird (Goo-gull) is of no help; i am trying to find a
>> -->DOS<-- utility (_not_ a Windoze version) for labeling drive volumes.
>>
>> Help?

> See the "label" command here.
>
> http://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/
>
> Paul

Yeah; that is the typical useless kind of stuff i found with the baby
bird.
I want the PROGRAM!
I have 6.22 and Label does not work.
Problem: Acronis makes a clone of my HD and screws up a few items -
1) 3rd partition tag is altered from FAT16B (hex06) to FAT16X (hex0E)
which is unreadable by even adults or computers (Z-rated).
2) After patching the byte,i find that the volume labels have been
trashed; the DOS6.22 LABEL does not fix that.

Now here is where it gets squirrel-lee - PCDOS7.0 reports the garbage
names on this copy as mentioned BUT DOS6.22, Win98SE, and Win2K all
report original names and the LABEL command for them does not fix the
problem.
Remember, the ORIGINAL HD does _NOT_ have this label name problem!

That is why i am getting desperate for a fix.
*
Is there a good or excellent "generic" HD analysis and fix program
that would repair partition size and alignment problems, as well as (for
FAT volumes) ensure the label is located properly at the start of the
cluster chain (which would require moving things and altering the FAT in
a corresponding manner)?
I think that would be the way to go.

Paul 01-01-2013 07:01 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> The baby bird (Goo-gull) is of no help; i am trying to find a
>>> -->DOS<-- utility (_not_ a Windoze version) for labeling drive volumes.
>>>
>>> Help?

>> See the "label" command here.
>>
>> http://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/
>>
>> Paul

> Yeah; that is the typical useless kind of stuff i found with the baby
> bird.
> I want the PROGRAM!
> I have 6.22 and Label does not work.
> Problem: Acronis makes a clone of my HD and screws up a few items -
> 1) 3rd partition tag is altered from FAT16B (hex06) to FAT16X (hex0E)
> which is unreadable by even adults or computers (Z-rated).
> 2) After patching the byte,i find that the volume labels have been
> trashed; the DOS6.22 LABEL does not fix that.
>
> Now here is where it gets squirrel-lee - PCDOS7.0 reports the garbage
> names on this copy as mentioned BUT DOS6.22, Win98SE, and Win2K all
> report original names and the LABEL command for them does not fix the
> problem.
> Remember, the ORIGINAL HD does _NOT_ have this label name problem!
>
> That is why i am getting desperate for a fix.
> *
> Is there a good or excellent "generic" HD analysis and fix program
> that would repair partition size and alignment problems, as well as (for
> FAT volumes) ensure the label is located properly at the start of the
> cluster chain (which would require moving things and altering the FAT in
> a corresponding manner)?
> I think that would be the way to go.

I'd probably try my old copy of Powerquest Partition Magic and see
if it can copy the partition properly.

I doubt the Linux GParted would do a good job. I've had enough
trouble getting good labels out of that. I can't figure out
why sometimes the labels are OK, and sometimes not.

I would not expect a modern utility, to deal with older
partitions properly. They'd be an after-thought for the
software designers.

There are other, free partition manager programs out there,
but like anything, you do the testing. I like to test some
of that stuff in a virtual machine, for safety (so I can
continue to do other things, while torturing a virtual disk).

If you wanted to pull a physical disk, into a VHD for usage
inside a virtual machine, you could try this freebie. VHD should be
supported on a few different virtual machine environments. And
then, you're not dropping the machine entirely to DOS,
to see "hows it going". Your "mess" is in a window, and
you can continue to do other things while an attempted clone
is running. A virtual machine can allow you to have at
least three virtual disks (like a src, dest, and OS disk image).
And that's how I tested my last partition maneger, was using
a virtual machine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/ee656415

This is me testing Macrium Reflect, in a Windows 7 environment,
all inside a virtual machine. It allows me to take screenshots
and make a documentary. (Click with your mouse to zoom in.)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/451...iumrestore.gif

Paul

Robert Baer 01-02-2013 02:53 AM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Paul wrote:
> [...]

> If you wanted to pull a physical disk, into a VHD for usage
> inside a virtual machine, you could try this freebie. VHD should be
> supported on a few different virtual machine environments. And
> then, you're not dropping the machine entirely to DOS,
> to see "hows it going". Your "mess" is in a window, and
> you can continue to do other things while an attempted clone
> is running. A virtual machine can allow you to have at
> least three virtual disks (like a src, dest, and OS disk image).
> And that's how I tested my last partition maneger, was using
> a virtual machine.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/ee656415
>
> This is me testing Macrium Reflect, in a Windows 7 environment,
> all inside a virtual machine. It allows me to take screenshots
> and make a documentary. (Click with your mouse to zoom in.)

I did not know that PM could make a copy; i used GhostPE for the copy
and fixed the "FS" partition type byte (hex0E to hex06).
Did not use Acronis because it screws up the labels as well.

In any event, for both the source and destination, PartInfo gave the
following info; the cyl=1022 was the error, so the pointers for the NTFS
volume overlapped desired space for partition 3 (80 cols wide):

Disk 0: 4865 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.
========================== Partition Tables =========================
Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num
Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects
--------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- --------- ---------
0 0 80 0 1 1 06 260 254 63 63 4192902
0 1 00 261 0 1 05 782 254 63 4192965 8385930
0 2 00 783 0 1 06 1022* 254 63 12578895 4192965
Error #110: Number of sectors in partition is inconsistent.
ucSectors = 4192965 end - begin = 3855600
0 3 00 1023 0 1 07 1023 254 63 16771860 45062325
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values are: *Note: PartitionMagic reports correct cyl 1043
0 3 00 1044 0 1 07 3848 254 63 16771860 45062325
4192965 0 00 261 1 1 06 521 254 63 4193028 4192902
4192965 1 00 522 0 1 05 782 254 63 8385930 4192965
8385930 0 00 522 1 1 06 782 254 63 8385993 4192902
============================ Partition Information
===========================
Volume Partition Partition Start
Total
Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
Sectors
------------- --------------- -------- ------- --------- - ---------
---------
C:WIN98SE FAT16B Pri,Boot 2047.3 0 0 63
4192902
Extended Pri 4094.7 0 1 4192965
8385930
EPBR Log 2047.3 None - 4192965
4192965
D:WORK FAT16B Log 2047.3 4192965 0 4193028
4192902
EPBR Log 2047.3 4192965 1 8385930
4192965
E:DEVEL FAT16B Log 2047.3 8385930 0 8385993
4192902
F:MASTER FAT16B Pri 2047.3 0 2 12578895
4192965
NTFS Pri 22003.1 0 3 16771860
45062325
Free Space Pri 7969.7 None - 61834185
16322040
*****
What i did was use PM to move the NTFS volume "up" enough to have
zero overlap. Right after the move, PM showed a 337.3Meg unpartioned gap.
Reboot and PM reported all perfectly OK, BUT PartInfo data did not
change at all(!).
PM and CheckDisk reports no problems.

This is driving me nuts!

My next step is to see what GhostPE will do when i copy from this
fixed copy..

meagain 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

>> I'd probably try my old copy of Powerquest Partition Magic and see
>> if it can copy the partition properly.
>>
>> I doubt the Linux GParted would do a good job. I've had enough
>> trouble getting good labels out of that. I can't figure out
>> why sometimes the labels are OK, and sometimes not.
>>
>> I would not expect a modern utility, to deal with older
>> partitions properly. They'd be an after-thought for the
>> software designers.
>>
>> There are other, free partition manager programs out there,
>> but like anything, you do the testing. I like to test some
>> of that stuff in a virtual machine, for safety (so I can
>> continue to do other things, while torturing a virtual disk).
>>
>> If you wanted to pull a physical disk, into a VHD for usage
>> inside a virtual machine, you could try this freebie. VHD should be
>> supported on a few different virtual machine environments. And
>> then, you're not dropping the machine entirely to DOS,
>> to see "hows it going". Your "mess" is in a window, and
>> you can continue to do other things while an attempted clone
>> is running. A virtual machine can allow you to have at
>> least three virtual disks (like a src, dest, and OS disk image).
>> And that's how I tested my last partition maneger, was using
>> a virtual machine.
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/ee656415
>>
>> This is me testing Macrium Reflect, in a Windows 7 environment,
>> all inside a virtual machine. It allows me to take screenshots
>> and make a documentary. (Click with your mouse to zoom in.)
>>
>> http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/451...iumrestore.gif

If it were me, I would Follow Paul's advice.

Robert Baer 01-02-2013 07:28 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

meagain wrote:

>>> I'd probably try my old copy of Powerquest Partition Magic and see
>>> if it can copy the partition properly.
>>>
>>> I doubt the Linux GParted would do a good job. I've had enough
>>> trouble getting good labels out of that. I can't figure out
>>> why sometimes the labels are OK, and sometimes not.
>>>
>>> I would not expect a modern utility, to deal with older
>>> partitions properly. They'd be an after-thought for the
>>> software designers.
>>>
>>> There are other, free partition manager programs out there,
>>> but like anything, you do the testing. I like to test some
>>> of that stuff in a virtual machine, for safety (so I can
>>> continue to do other things, while torturing a virtual disk).
>>>
>>> If you wanted to pull a physical disk, into a VHD for usage
>>> inside a virtual machine, you could try this freebie. VHD should be
>>> supported on a few different virtual machine environments. And
>>> then, you're not dropping the machine entirely to DOS,
>>> to see "hows it going". Your "mess" is in a window, and
>>> you can continue to do other things while an attempted clone
>>> is running. A virtual machine can allow you to have at
>>> least three virtual disks (like a src, dest, and OS disk image).
>>> And that's how I tested my last partition maneger, was using
>>> a virtual machine.
>>>
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/ee656415
>>>
>>> This is me testing Macrium Reflect, in a Windows 7 environment,
>>> all inside a virtual machine. It allows me to take screenshots
>>> and make a documentary. (Click with your mouse to zoom in.)
>>>
>>> http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/451...iumrestore.gif

> If it were me, I would Follow Paul's advice.

Looked at the blurb for Disk2vhd, seems to imply that the "cloud" is
used (which i DEFINITELY do not want).
Also implies that another HD/drivespace is necessary.
I see no "advantage" other than being able to do other business at
"the same time".
To much hassle for no real benefits for me.
Besides,i run DOS, Win3.11, Win98SE and Win2K and not "XP or better".

Robert Baer 01-02-2013 07:34 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:

>>> Yeah; that is the typical useless kind of stuff i found with the baby
>>> bird.
>>> I want the PROGRAM!
>>> I have 6.22 and Label does not work.
>>> Problem: Acronis makes a clone of my HD and screws up a few items -
>>> 1) 3rd partition tag is altered from FAT16B (hex06) to FAT16X (hex0E)
>>> which is unreadable by even adults or computers (Z-rated).
>>> 2) After patching the byte,i find that the volume labels have been
>>> trashed; the DOS6.22 LABEL does not fix that.
>>>
>>> Now here is where it gets squirrel-lee - PCDOS7.0 reports the garbage
>>> names on this copy as mentioned BUT DOS6.22, Win98SE, and Win2K all
>>> report original names and the LABEL command for them does not fix the
>>> problem.
>>> Remember, the ORIGINAL HD does _NOT_ have this label name problem!

** snipped **

Tried something a bit different.
I _THINK_ i have a decent drive now.
Notice i am refusing to use Acronis because it creates a garbage drive.
Please look at the following info and make liberal comments (80
column format).

Drive: "SCRATCH" made by:
Ghostpe from "COPY", Drivecopy partition 2, Ptedit * placeholders to 1023
========================== Partition Tables =========================
Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num
Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects
--------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- --------- ---------
0 0 80 0 1 1 06 260 254 63 63 4192902
0 1 00 261 0 1 05 782 254 63 4192965 8385930
0 2 00 783 0 1 06 1023* 254 63 12578895 4192965
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values are:
0 2 00 783 0 1 06 1043 254 63 12578895 4192965
[...]
E:WORK FAT16B Log 2047.3 4192965 0 4193028
4192902
EPBR Log 2047.3 4192965 1 8385930
4192965
F:DEVEL FAT16B Log 2047.3 8385930 0 8385993
4192902
I:MASTER FAT16B Pri 2047.3 0 2 12578895

Paul 01-02-2013 10:09 PM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Robert Baer wrote:

>> If it were me, I would Follow Paul's advice.
>>

> Looked at the blurb for Disk2vhd, seems to imply that the "cloud" is
> used (which i DEFINITELY do not want).
> Also implies that another HD/drivespace is necessary.
> I see no "advantage" other than being able to do other business at
> "the same time".
> To much hassle for no real benefits for me.
> Besides,i run DOS, Win3.11, Win98SE and Win2K and not "XP or better".

NOT CORRECT.

Disk2vhd, converts the information on a hard drive, into a VHD file.
Such a file is a representation of a hard drive, that you can load
in things like VirtualBox or VPC2007 or other kinds of virtual machine
software.

It allows you to experiment and run a second OS, while your regular OS
continues to run.

For example, I could install MSDOS in a virtual machine, bring over
my hard drive image to the virtual machine, and carry out an experiment
in that window, all the while reading Foxnews with my regular web browser
in my regular OS.

NOTHING is copied to the Internet. It all stays on your machine.

As far as the mechanics of the operation go, it is very similar to
running Macrium Reflect or Acronis and having them "make an image" of
a hard drive. The VSS service can be used for the operation. And only
the busy sectors are copied from the hard drive source, to the .vhd
file target. Just like Macrium would do, when it makes a backup. The
advantage is, .vhd files are a pseudo-standard, whereas other forms
of backup software use formats that aren't good for much else. At
least the .vhd file, you can mount it in Windows 7 or Windows 8, or
even with some downloaded software, mount the image on a WinXP machine
(a bit flaky, but some people get it to work).

Paul

Robert Baer 01-03-2013 01:50 AM

Re: DOS LABEL utility?

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:

>>> If it were me, I would Follow Paul's advice.
>>>

>> Looked at the blurb for Disk2vhd, seems to imply that the "cloud" is
>> used (which i DEFINITELY do not want).
>> Also implies that another HD/drivespace is necessary.
>> I see no "advantage" other than being able to do other business at
>> "the same time".
>> To much hassle for no real benefits for me.
>> Besides,i run DOS, Win3.11, Win98SE and Win2K and not "XP or better".

> NOT CORRECT.
>
> Disk2vhd, converts the information on a hard drive, into a VHD file.
> Such a file is a representation of a hard drive, that you can load
> in things like VirtualBox or VPC2007 or other kinds of virtual machine
> software.
>
> It allows you to experiment and run a second OS, while your regular OS
> continues to run.
>
> For example, I could install MSDOS in a virtual machine, bring over
> my hard drive image to the virtual machine, and carry out an experiment
> in that window, all the while reading Foxnews with my regular web browser
> in my regular OS.
>
> NOTHING is copied to the Internet. It all stays on your machine.
>
> As far as the mechanics of the operation go, it is very similar to
> running Macrium Reflect or Acronis and having them "make an image" of
> a hard drive. The VSS service can be used for the operation. And only
> the busy sectors are copied from the hard drive source, to the .vhd
> file target. Just like Macrium would do, when it makes a backup. The
> advantage is, .vhd files are a pseudo-standard, whereas other forms
> of backup software use formats that aren't good for much else. At
> least the .vhd file, you can mount it in Windows 7 or Windows 8, or
> even with some downloaded software, mount the image on a WinXP machine
> (a bit flaky, but some people get it to work).
>
> Paul

Well, one MUST have more than sufficient HD space for the program and
emulation; they strongly suggest using a different drive than those you
want to work with.
In any case like i said, the "benefit" of doing two or more things at
once is not worth the hassle for me (the HD that has WIN7 on it has 2
copies plus Win2K and not much extra space due to the piggishness of Win7).
**
Does that Partinfo map of my latest attempt look kosher?