Velocity Reviews

-   -   Locked file? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955817-locked-file.html)

Peter Jason 12-26-2012 04:07 AM

Locked file?

I downloaded all the photos from the camera to
Windows Explorer.

One of the photos is "locked" and cannot be
PShopped or deleted.

The 'properties' of this file is the same as all
the others.

Could this be caused by the 'delete protect' on
the camera for this file, and if so how is it
fixed?

Peter

Rob 12-26-2012 06:19 AM

Re: Locked file?

On 26/12/2012 3:07 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I downloaded all the photos from the camera to
> Windows Explorer.
>
> One of the photos is "locked" and cannot be
> PShopped or deleted.
>
> The 'properties' of this file is the same as all
> the others.
>
> Could this be caused by the 'delete protect' on
> the camera for this file, and if so how is it
> fixed?
>
> Peter

Will unlocker enable access to the file?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Mayayana 12-26-2012 04:43 PM

Re: Locked file?

In addition to Rob's advice, you might try just
right-drag -> Copy Here. The second copy shouldn't
be locked.

There's no "delete protect" function in Windows.
There can be read-only file properties and there
can be restrictions on NTFS systems (mostly Vista/7).
File restrictions, like DRM and read-only PDF files,
are only possible because specific software is designed
to respect markers in the files.

What you're describing is all-too-common.(At least on
XP. It wasn't so bad on Win9x.) It seems to happen due
to quirky, ambiguous operations: For instance, one copies
a file by dragging and accidentally performs some other
operation with the mouse at the same moment. Windows
gets confused and thinks the file is locked open by a program.
Since no program locked it, no program can unlock it.