Velocity Reviews

-   -   multi-(v)lan/protocols via etherchannel? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955759-multi-v-lan-protocols-via-etherchannel.html)

Kay Martinen 12-23-2012 08:57 AM

multi-(v)lan/protocols via etherchannel?

Hello

I am not shure if my english is good enough to describe my problem and to
understand the answer(s) but i will do my best and hope someone can help me
out.

I have two cisco switches Model WS-C2924-XL-EN (one has two module slots,
one not) both with IOS 12.0 Enterprise Software.

I want to expand my home network down in the cellar where i have an emtpy
rack. But i don't have any Cable down there and no way to have one. So i
must use other techniques like powerline or wlan.

One switch should stay in my rooms, one down in the rack. As interconnection
i want a powerline and probably additional a wlan-connection (2 Accesspoints
with Special antennas). I like to have this as bonded connection or maybe as
failover.

So far i know Cisco named it Etherchannel and this should be possible.

But additionally i will use separete network segments with different
protocols (one IP-Net, one Netbios, and probably an IPX Segment) which shall
not be mixed.

I believe a Switch in general is protocol-transparent. But there are some
helpers for IP Networks, so i am not really shure if the switch don't care
the protocols or if (and how) i can set it up so it can identify the
protocol-types on a port. Thats why i believe i shall do it port-based and
probably i need some VLANs for it.

But i don't know if that is the best way and if vlans (binded to a group of
ports) will do the job.

I know i have to set it up so each vlan will go through the etherchannel to
the other switch and there it should land on another group of ports.

I know, its a lot of questions. Maybe i am totally wrong but i hope it is
not.

Below a quick drawing to help you understand what i mean.

IP NB IPX <- Network-Segments
! ! !
============== Switch A

| Etherchannel

============== Switch B
! ! !
IP NB IPX <- Network-Segments

Can one Help me out to find the right CLI Commands or similar to work this
out. Thanks for any Answers.

Kay
(from Germany)

tpheuk 01-19-2013 12:10 PM