Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Is there a quick & accurate way to test a python install? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955540-re-is-there-a-quick-and-accurate-way-to-test-a-python-install.html)

Gene Heskett 12-16-2012 02:59 AM

Re: Is there a quick & accurate way to test a python install?

On Saturday 15 December 2012 21:52:00 Terry Reedy did opine:

> On 12/15/2012 9:21 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 December 2012 21:19:37 Terry Reedy did opine:
> >> On 12/15/2012 8:38 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> see
> >> 26.11.2.

> > I'm not a python guru, Terry, so you will have to expand on this
> > 26.11.2.

> http://docs.python.org/3/library/tes...sing-the-comma
> nd-line-interface

This is 2.6, on ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS

> 3.x on command line: python -m test
> "Under the hood, it uses test.regrtest; the call python -m test.regrtest
> used in previous Python versions [ie, 2.x] still works)."
>
> Followed by more options and os specifics. It is also possible to run
> interactively. 'import test; test.main()' may do it, but it have been
> awhile and is not documented.

I googled and found something like that, but the machine thats bad throws
the same error stanza as one that seems to work. From the machine with the
problem:

gene@lathe:/usr/lib/python2.6/test$ python -m test.regrtest
test_grammar
test_grammar skipped -- No module named test_grammar
test_opcodes
test_opcodes skipped -- No module named test_opcodes
test_dict
test_dict skipped -- No module named test_dict
test_builtin
test_builtin skipped -- No module named test_builtin
test_exceptions
test_exceptions skipped -- No module named test_exceptions
test_types
test_types skipped -- No module named test_types
test_unittest
test_unittest skipped -- No module named test_unittest
test_doctest
test_doctest skipped -- No module named test_doctest
test_doctest2
test_doctest2 skipped -- No module named test_doctest2
9 tests skipped:
test_builtin test_dict test_doctest test_doctest2 test_exceptions
test_grammar test_opcodes test_types test_unittest
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 122, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 34, in _run_code
exec code in run_globals
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/test/regrtest.py", line 1199, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/test/regrtest.py", line 423, in main
e = _ExpectedSkips()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/test/regrtest.py", line 1112, in __init__
from test import test_timeout
ImportError: cannot import name test_timeout
gene@lathe:/usr/lib/python2.6/test$

I think that looks identical to this machine, given the identical command
line.

Any other ideas, or is the above all foobar?

Thanks Terry.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Drinking coffee for instant relaxation? That's like drinking alcohol for
instant motor skills.
-- Marc Price
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...