Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Python parser problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955477-re-python-parser-problem.html)

Chris Angelico 12-13-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Python parser problem

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM, RCU <alex.e.susu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
> Thanks for the reply.
> The script was originally edited on Windows with proper \r\n endings,

It's worth noting that many Windows-based editors and interpreters are
quite happy with \n line endings. You may be able to save yourself
some trouble by switching everything to Unix newlines.

ChrisA

Paul Rudin 12-14-2012 07:30 AM

Re: Python parser problem

Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM, RCU <alex.e.susu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dave,
>> Thanks for the reply.
>> The script was originally edited on Windows with proper \r\n endings,

> It's worth noting that many Windows-based editors and interpreters are
> quite happy with \n line endings. You may be able to save yourself
> some trouble by switching everything to Unix newlines.

.... and in particular emacs for windows works well.

(holy wars ensue...)

Chris Angelico 12-14-2012 07:48 AM

Re: Python parser problem

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam@rudin.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM, RCU <alex.e.susu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dave,
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>> The script was originally edited on Windows with proper \r\n endings,

>> It's worth noting that many Windows-based editors and interpreters are
>> quite happy with \n line endings. You may be able to save yourself
>> some trouble by switching everything to Unix newlines.

> ... and in particular emacs for windows works well.
>
> (holy wars ensue...)

So do lots of others. In fact, the only editor I've seen that
consistently fails is Notepad.

Actually... that sentence stands alone. The only editor I've seen that
consistently fails is Notepad.

(holy wars are deflected into heaping scorn on an Acceptable Target)

ChrisA