Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: samba 4 release (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955440-re-samba-4-release.html)

Michael Torrie 12-13-2012 12:18 AM

Re: samba 4 release

On 12/12/2012 04:40 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> Awesome!!! But what the **** is it???

Are you serious? You honestly don't know what one of the oldest, most
widely used piece of open source software it and what it does? Samba is
at least as well-known and important as Apache, if not more so.

You can be forgiven if you don't know what a DC is... That's a "Domain
Controller" and it forms the central core of an MS Active Directory
setup (users/group info, authentication, user/group policies, client
machine policies.

Now if we could just get an Exchange replacement that actually doesn't
suck...

Steven D'Aprano 12-13-2012 12:33 AM

Re: samba 4 release

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:18:43 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Now if we could just get an Exchange replacement that actually doesn't
> suck...

But but but... if it didn't contain sufficient levels of suckage, it
would hardly be a replacement for Exchange, would it?!?!?

:-P

--
Steven

rusi 12-13-2012 03:36 AM

Re: samba 4 release

On Dec 13, 5:18*am, Michael Torrie <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 04:40 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
> > Awesome!!! *But what the **** is it???

> Are you serious? *You honestly don't know what one of the oldest, most
> widely used piece of open source software it and what it does? *Samba is
> at least as well-known and important as Apache, if not more so.

For me, more important than apache is the set
1. Linux
2. Perl (followed by python)
3. Samba
4. Wine

Linux showed that Unix can run on PCs -- seriously. Yeah the
professors writing Minix also did that but Linux stopped being a toy.
Of course Linus was lucky that he was hacking when the 386 came out.

Perl, which was the first to show that a realistic language could be
made whose programs run unchanged on Unix and Dos. [Yeah we
pythonistas take it for granted today. It was incredible 15 years ago]

Samba took Perl's 'polite interoperability' to a new level:
'aggressive cooperation.'
'You may not want to talk to me but I will talk to you anyhow'

What Samba does on the server, wine does on the desktop... Not quite
so successful but getting there