Velocity Reviews

-   -   STREET dropout (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955415-street-dropout.html)

tony cooper 12-12-2012 03:23 PM

STREET dropout

Unless something better comes into view, I've made my three selections
for the SI "Street" submission. This one didn't make the cut, but I
kinda like the whimsical interplay of the subject and background:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-09-X2.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-15-2012 03:05 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:23:30 -0500, tony cooper
<tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>Unless something better comes into view, I've made my three selections
>for the SI "Street" submission. This one didn't make the cut, but I
>kinda like the whimsical interplay of the subject and background:
>
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-09-X2.jpg

This one didn't make the cut either. I was in a mood to capture
people and windows.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-12-07-12.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-16-2012 09:33 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:15:09 -0500, Bowser <idont@think.so> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:23:30 -0500, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Unless something better comes into view, I've made my three selections
>>for the SI "Street" submission. This one didn't make the cut, but I
>>kinda like the whimsical interplay of the subject and background:
>>
>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-09-X2.jpg

>Damn, I like that!
>
>I've got three, but I've gone retro and tried to mimic the traditional
>look of the B&W street shooters.

My three will be in B&W, but not all that traditional.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-19-2012 03:06 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:05:23 -0500, tony cooper
<tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:23:30 -0500, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Unless something better comes into view, I've made my three selections
>>for the SI "Street" submission. This one didn't make the cut, but I
>>kinda like the whimsical interplay of the subject and background:
>>
>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-09-X2.jpg

>This one didn't make the cut either. I was in a mood to capture
>people and windows.
>
>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-12-07-12.jpg

This one, taken yesterday, isn't going to make the cut either:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...-18-06B-XL.jpg

Mentally titled "Not for him".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter 12-26-2012 11:04 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On 12/19/2012 10:06 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:05:23 -0500, tony cooper
> <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:23:30 -0500, tony cooper
>> <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless something better comes into view, I've made my three selections
>>> for the SI "Street" submission. This one didn't make the cut, but I
>>> kinda like the whimsical interplay of the subject and background:
>>>
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-07-09-X2.jpg

>> This one didn't make the cut either. I was in a mood to capture
>> people and windows.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-12-07-12.jpg

> This one, taken yesterday, isn't going to make the cut either:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...-18-06B-XL.jpg
>
> Mentally titled "Not for him".

Missed your reason for the title.
The bright sign pulls my eye from his face.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper 12-26-2012 11:56 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:04:44 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On 12/19/2012 10:06 AM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:05:23 -0500, tony cooper
>> <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This one didn't make the cut either. I was in a mood to capture
>>> people and windows.
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-12-07-12.jpg

>> This one, taken yesterday, isn't going to make the cut either:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...-18-06B-XL.jpg
>>
>> Mentally titled "Not for him".
>>

>Missed your reason for the title.

The man is presumably homeless or at least financially distressed.
The apartment renting service is not likely to rent him an apartment.

>The bright sign pulls my eye from his face.

The juxtaposition of the sign and the man is what appealed to me. I
could have cropped out the box, but felt that it added to the scene.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Peter 12-27-2012 01:23 AM

Re: STREET dropout

On 12/26/2012 6:56 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:04:44 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2012 10:06 AM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> This one, taken yesterday, isn't going to make the cut either:
>>>
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...-18-06B-XL.jpg
>>>
>>> Mentally titled "Not for him".
>>>

>> Missed your reason for the title.

> The man is presumably homeless or at least financially distressed.
> The apartment renting service is not likely to rent him an apartment.
>
>> The bright sign pulls my eye from his face.

> The juxtaposition of the sign and the man is what appealed to me. I
> could have cropped out the box, but felt that it added to the scene.

OK. I just saw a complete lack of expression on the man.
Here's one of mine that didn't make the cut, for that reason.

<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0223.jpg>

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper 12-27-2012 03:15 AM

Re: STREET dropout

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:23:00 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On 12/26/2012 6:56 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:04:44 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Missed your reason for the title.

>> The man is presumably homeless or at least financially distressed.
>> The apartment renting service is not likely to rent him an apartment.
>>
>>> The bright sign pulls my eye from his face.

>> The juxtaposition of the sign and the man is what appealed to me. I
>> could have cropped out the box, but felt that it added to the scene.
>>

>OK. I just saw a complete lack of expression on the man.
>Here's one of mine that didn't make the cut, for that reason.
>
><http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0223.jpg>

Well, Peter, that's what makes "Street" challenging to me. Real
people aren't always charming and photogenic. The guy in my link
has that dead look that the down-and-out get. That's him, and that's
what I tried to capture.

What I try to catch in "Street" is real people, warts and all. I
don't always look for society's lost, though. Sometimes I go for just
ordinary people doing ordinary things. If you're not into "Street",
you'd probably find most of my efforts uninteresting.

This is an older shot that has a more upscale subject, but also a shot
where the background sign and object added to the image:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...9-12-26-X2.jpg

and this is one of my personal favorites from sometime back:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...02-10-1-X2.jpg

I find your shot quite interesting. The man doesn't need an strong
expression to make it interesting. There's mild feeling of disgust,
but that can be explained if he's a Jets fan.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Peter 12-28-2012 03:18 PM

Re: STREET dropout

On 12/26/2012 10:15 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:23:00 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/26/2012 6:56 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> The man is presumably homeless or at least financially distressed.
>>> The apartment renting service is not likely to rent him an apartment.

>>> The juxtaposition of the sign and the man is what appealed to me. I
>>> could have cropped out the box, but felt that it added to the scene.
>>>

>> OK. I just saw a complete lack of expression on the man.
>> Here's one of mine that didn't make the cut, for that reason.
>>
>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0223.jpg>

> Well, Peter, that's what makes "Street" challenging to me. Real
> people aren't always charming and photogenic. The guy in my link
> has that dead look that the down-and-out get. That's him, and that's
> what I tried to capture.
>
> What I try to catch in "Street" is real people, warts and all. I
> don't always look for society's lost, though. Sometimes I go for just
> ordinary people doing ordinary things. If you're not into "Street",
> you'd probably find most of my efforts uninteresting.
>
> This is an older shot that has a more upscale subject, but also a shot
> where the background sign and object added to the image:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...9-12-26-X2.jpg
>
> and this is one of my personal favorites from sometime back:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...02-10-1-X2.jpg
>
> I find your shot quite interesting. The man doesn't need an strong
> expression to make it interesting. There's mild feeling of disgust,
> but that can be explained if he's a Jets fan.

Jets fans are immune. Most Jet fans I know are ex Brooklyn Dodger fans.
("Wait till next year.")

Your personal favorite, tells a story. It is interesting by itself, and
does not need a separate background story.

Here is the background of my dropped image.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/mywimuvze2ztint/Aquaduct_0302.jpg>

Here is one that almost made the cut.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i7w5owvk6ivzh3/Aquaduct_0275.jpg>

Two of my submissions that made the cut were taken at the same place.
While I went fjor the purpose of fulfilling the mandate, I will admit
that I had a small net profit on the day. ;-)

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper 12-29-2012 05:17 AM

Re: STREET dropout

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:18:45 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On 12/26/2012 10:15 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:23:00 -0500, Peter <peter.new@verizon.net>
>> wrote:

>>> OK. I just saw a complete lack of expression on the man.
>>> Here's one of mine that didn't make the cut, for that reason.
>>>
>>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/Aquaduct_0223.jpg>

>> Well, Peter, that's what makes "Street" challenging to me. Real
>> people aren't always charming and photogenic. The guy in my link
>> has that dead look that the down-and-out get. That's him, and that's
>> what I tried to capture.
>>
>> What I try to catch in "Street" is real people, warts and all. I
>> don't always look for society's lost, though. Sometimes I go for just
>> ordinary people doing ordinary things. If you're not into "Street",
>> you'd probably find most of my efforts uninteresting.
>>
>> This is an older shot that has a more upscale subject, but also a shot
>> where the background sign and object added to the image:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...9-12-26-X2.jpg
>>
>> and this is one of my personal favorites from sometime back:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...02-10-1-X2.jpg
>>
>> I find your shot quite interesting. The man doesn't need an strong
>> expression to make it interesting. There's mild feeling of disgust,
>> but that can be explained if he's a Jets fan.

>Jets fans are immune. Most Jet fans I know are ex Brooklyn Dodger fans.
>("Wait till next year.")
>

>Your personal favorite, tells a story. It is interesting by itself, and
>does not need a separate background story.
>
>Here is the background of my dropped image.
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/mywimuvze2ztint/Aquaduct_0302.jpg>
>
>Here is one that almost made the cut.
>
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i7w5owvk6ivzh3/Aquaduct_0275.jpg>
>
>Two of my submissions that made the cut were taken at the same place.
>While I went fjor the purpose of fulfilling the mandate, I will admit
>that I had a small net profit on the day. ;-)

I envy you for your nearness to Aqueduct. That kind of place offers a
cornucopia of subjects for the candid photographer. We don't have a
flat or harness racing venue here in this area. We have a dog track,
and I sometimes visit it for some candid opportunities like these:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animal...1-30-01-X2.jpg
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animal...dog-012-X2.jpg

But, I find the actual racing to be uninteresting. I've never placed
a bet when at the dog track photographing.

Horse racing, though, is something that I do enjoy watching and I do
bet. I find it exciting enough that I might forget to even raise my
camera.

My favorite sport in racing is the steeplechase, but that's hard to
find anywhere in the US. The last time we were in England our
itinerary was partially based on race days at Market Rasen. I would
have preferred to go to Aintree, but there were no fixtures there
during our stay. Next time, if there is a next time, it will be in
April so the Grand National can be on our itinerary.

I do like the subject matter and composition of your shot, but
selective coloring is not my thing. I've done it, but it's like
anchovies...something to be tried once.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...9-12-31-X2.jpg

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL