Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955412-is-apple-doomed-the-way-ibm-ended-up-in-the-pc-market.html)

RichA 12-12-2012 02:47 PM

Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

IBM made huge mistakes that cost it a market they dominated.
Microsoft is struggling (sort of) to shore up against dropping demand
for PC's. But how about Apple's huge phone market?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/open_and_shut/

(PeteCresswell) 12-12-2012 04:46 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

Per RichA:
>IBM made huge mistakes that cost it a market they dominated.
>Microsoft is struggling (sort of) to shore up against dropping demand
>for PC's. But how about Apple's huge phone market?
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/open_and_shut/

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday - where I discovered that
both the doctor and one of his assistants were about to trade
their iPhones for Samsung Note II's.

Neither one impresses me as being very technweenieish.

I'm looking forward to hearing how happy/unhappy they are with
Android vs IOS.

Seems to me like, without Jobs, Apple is in danger of becoming
dominated by marketing and accounting people.
--
Pete Cresswell

nospam 12-12-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

In article <MPG.2b32eda74ecce7fc98c8e8@news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Had a doctor's appointment yesterday - where I discovered that
> > both the doctor and one of his assistants were about to trade
> > their iPhones for Samsung Note II's.
> >
> > Neither one impresses me as being very technweenieish.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to hearing how happy/unhappy they are with
> > Android vs IOS.

> Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
> minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
> expensive.

bullshit.

iphones are the same price as any other comparable android smartphone
or even windows phone. the iphone 5 is $200, which is the same price as
a galaxy s3. the iphone 4 is *free* with contract.

plus, the real price of a cellphone is not the price of the device, but
the monthly contract you're locked into for 2 years. an extra $100 one
way or the other for the phone itself is negligible in the grand scheme
of things. that's a month or two of cell service, depending on the
plan.

Anthony Polson 12-12-2012 07:26 PM

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>IBM made huge mistakes that cost it a market they dominated.
>Microsoft is struggling (sort of) to shore up against dropping demand
>for PC's. But how about Apple's huge phone market?
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/open_and_shut/

Apple sells multiple times more tablets than it sells laptop and
desktop computers. Apple sells even more iPhones than tablets
(iPads).
We have seen Apple move away from being a creative person's digital
assistant towards providing entertainment systems for the masses.

In laptop and desktop computers, Apple had an advantage that other
manufacturers didn't: its operating system. Now Windows does most of
not all of the things that made Apple's OS distinctly different.

In phones, Google smartphones are now outselling the iPhone by more
than three to one. Samsung alone is selling more smartphones than
Apple.

In tablets, Google's Android 4.0 OS is sweeping the market. Only
Apple's last ditch court cases against Samsung and others are delaying
Samsung's dominance of the tablet market.

I had a difficult decision to stay with Apple for my laptop. In the
end, it was the high resolution Retina display that convinced me. Had
that not been available, I would probably have chosen a Windows laptop
at around half the price. I had already replaced my Mac Pro with a
high end Windows machine.

I believe Apple's overall operating profits are currently around 44%.
That is ridiculously high for the technology sectors Apple operates
in. The margin cannot possibly stay that high.

(PeteCresswell) 12-12-2012 09:32 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

Per Alfred Molon:
>Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
>minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
>expensive.

My Sam sung Note was close to $600: $520 for the device, $55 for
a sixty-gig SD card, plus a few bucks here-and-there for a cover,
screen protector, a few wires, and so-forth.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) 12-12-2012 09:40 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

Per Anthony Polson:
>In laptop and desktop computers, Apple had an advantage that other
>manufacturers didn't: its operating system. Now Windows does most of
>not all of the things that made Apple's OS distinctly different.

I used tb a total MacIntosh chauvinist. Even wrote a little
sales/inventory control application for my 7" Mac Plus to support
a backyard windsurfing equipment business.

That was a loooooong time ago.

Since then I've been making a living writing MS Office
applications that run under Window.

A few years ago, somebody graduated from design school and just
*had* to have a Mac. I bought her the biggest-baddest Mac I
could find.

Had about two weeks to fool around with it before graduation day.

My take was that Windows and Mac OS's (from the user's
perspective & plug/play) were about the same.

I'd even go so far as to say I prefer Windows XP over whatever
was running on that Mac. For one thing, there are multiple ways
to resize a window under XP. With the Mac I was restricted to
just one way.

When somebody asks me which they should get, I tell them to count
up the people they know well enough to ask for computer help and
choose the system that the most of those people have.
--
Pete Cresswell

nospam 12-12-2012 10:05 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

In article <2012121213454580979-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > Per Alfred Molon:
> >> Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
> >> minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
> >> expensive.

> > My Sam sung Note was close to $600: $520 for the device, $55 for
> > a sixty-gig SD card, plus a few bucks here-and-there for a cover,
> > screen protector, a few wires, and so-forth.

> My "Step-daughter from Hell" just got a $0 8GB Verizon iPhone 4,
> unlimited voice, unlimited text, 2GB $80/month data plan.

$0 is free.

so much for being ridiculously expensive.

Rob 12-12-2012 10:44 PM

On 13/12/2012 5:50 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <MPG.2b32eda74ecce7fc98c8e8@news.supernews.com>, Alfred
> Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> Had a doctor's appointment yesterday - where I discovered that
>>> both the doctor and one of his assistants were about to trade
>>> their iPhones for Samsung Note II's.
>>>
>>> Neither one impresses me as being very technweenieish.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to hearing how happy/unhappy they are with
>>> Android vs IOS.

>> Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
>> minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
>> expensive.

> bullshit.
>
> iphones are the same price as any other comparable android smartphone
> or even windows phone. the iphone 5 is $200, which is the same price as
> a galaxy s3. the iphone 4 is *free* with contract.
>
> plus, the real price of a cellphone is not the price of the device, but
> the monthly contract you're locked into for 2 years. an extra $100 one
> way or the other for the phone itself is negligible in the grand scheme
> of things. that's a month or two of cell service, depending on the
> plan.

Why are you adding into the price free phones on contract.

Its not bullshit at all. Just your way of justifying a contract.

Who wants a contract I certainly don't.

nospam 12-12-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

In article <k71ic8lkdd8mbvhd396h77dtvluue5s9gm@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> My "Step-daughter from Hell" just got a $0 8GB Verizon iPhone 4,
> >> unlimited voice, unlimited text, 2GB $80/month data plan.

> >$0 is free.
> >
> >so much for being ridiculously expensive.

> That tells you nothing about the cost.
>
> It just tells you someone else paid for it.

it doesn't matter who paid for it, the fact is that iphones are not
more expensive than android or other similar smartphones.

and actually, *she* did pay for the phone, it's just that the actual
price is part of the 2 year contract. if she cancels that contract
before the 2 years, the remaining balance of the phone will be due,
known as an early termination fee.

the point is that iphones, android phones and windows phones all cost
about the same for similar devices, and that the bulk of the cost is
not the phone itself, but the 2 year contract.

nospam 12-12-2012 10:49 PM

Re: Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

In article <kab1cc$i8i$1@dont-email.me>, Rob <mesamine@google.com>
wrote:

> Why are you adding into the price free phones on contract.

that's how nearly all cellphones are sold.

> Its not bullshit at all. Just your way of justifying a contract.

i'm not justifying anything. that's how the cellphone business works.

> Who wants a contract I certainly don't.

most people buy cellphones with a contract.

for those who don't, they'll pay the full price of the phone up front.