Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: MySQLdb compare lower (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955404-re-mysqldb-compare-lower.html)

Dennis Lee Bieber 12-12-2012 07:03 AM

Re: MySQLdb compare lower

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:01:18 +0100, Anatoli Hristov <tolidtm@gmail.com>

> Hello guys,
>
> Excuse me for the noob question, but is there a way to compare a field
> in mysql as lower() somehow?
>
> I have a situation where I compare the SKU in my DB and there are some
> SKU that are with lowercase and some with uppercase, how can I solve
> this in your opinion ?

According to the old "MySQL Language Reference"

"""
By default, string comparisons are not case sensitive and will use the
current character set (ISO-8859-1 Latin1 by default, which also works
excellently for English).
"""

I suppose one may encounter a MySQL database where the system
default has been configured to be case sensitive

The other option might be to run a (hopefully) one-time update
operation:

update theTable set SKU = LOWER(SKU);

and then ensure that any user input is forced to lowercase before it
gets into the database.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/