Velocity Reviews

-   -   JAVAFX Rendering (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955310-javafx-rendering.html)

nataraja gadikota 12-10-2012 11:43 AM

JAVAFX Rendering

Hi ,
I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...cl/Dxh4KyOOojY

"
Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20

I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW

I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .

Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
"

Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

Thanks
Nataraja G

Arne Vajh°j 12-10-2012 05:07 PM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

On 12/10/2012 6:43 AM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
> I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
> TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...cl/Dxh4KyOOojY
>
> "
> Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
> and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
>
> I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
> All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW
>
> I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
> When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
>
> Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
> "
>
> Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

3 million graphical objects seems like a lot.

But:
- plenty of CPU and RAM
- a 64 bit JVM to utilize the memory
- a GPU that is supported by JavaFX for hardware acceleration
- Java' JIT
then it is probably your best chance for good performance at
this abstraction level.

Arne

Jim Gibson 12-10-2012 05:49 PM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

In article <7cd27ea6-eea8-4b71-bfe5-9a1898b55c73@googlegroups.com>,
nataraja gadikota <nataraja.3.833@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
> TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...cl/Dxh4KyOOojY
>
> "
> Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
> and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
>
> I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were
> created
> All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have
> become very SLOW
>
> I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that
> level
> When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
>
> Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?

Sounds like you should consider clipping
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(computer_graphics)>) when you
have zoomed in and showing low-resolution versions of groups of nodes
(if your data consists of node groups in a tree-like structure) when
you are zoomed out (I don't remember the word for this; "greeking" is a
term applied to showing fuzzy blobs for text when the characters are
too small to see clearly).

In other words: don't draw all 3 million nodes, just the ones that
would be visible on the screen. If a group of nodes is too small to be
seen in detail, substitute a low-resolution graphic for the group.

--
Jim Gibson

nataraja gadikota 12-11-2012 05:14 PM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

Hi Arne ,
CPU/GPU/RAM is not a problem
I'm working on huge server's !

with all these do you think I can handle
even 3million is a small number for my application !!
there could be x10 more

Thanks
Nataraja G

nataraja gadikota 12-11-2012 05:15 PM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

Thanks Jim ,
that's a new idea
I'll try to work it out !

Arne Vajh°j 12-11-2012 08:04 PM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

On 12/11/2012 12:14 PM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
> On Monday, December 10, 2012 10:37:21 PM UTC+5:30, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> On 12/10/2012 6:43 AM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
>>> TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...cl/Dxh4KyOOojY
>>>
>>> "
>>> Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
>>> and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
>>>
>>> I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
>>> All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW
>>>
>>> I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
>>> When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
>>>
>>> Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
>>> "
>>>
>>> Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

>> 3 million graphical objects seems like a lot.
>>
>> But:
>> - plenty of CPU and RAM
>> - a 64 bit JVM to utilize the memory
>> - a GPU that is supported by JavaFX for hardware acceleration
>> - Java' JIT
>> then it is probably your best chance for good performance at
>> this abstraction level.

> CPU/GPU/RAM is not a problem
> I'm working on huge server's !
>
> with all these do you think I can handle
> even 3million is a small number for my application !!
> there could be x10 more

I don't know.

You should measure.

But if the combo above can not do it, then I doubt that any
solution at this abstraction level can do it.

So measure.

If it works then fine.

If it does not work then either:
- go low level with the cost of that
- redefine your solution so you do not need so many gui objects

Arne

nataraja gadikota 01-06-2013 06:56 AM

Re: JAVAFX Rendering

Hi guys !@