Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t955261-re-which-is-best-method-of-saving-pdf-files-from-web.html)

Jukka K. Korpela 12-08-2012 06:12 AM

2012-12-08 3:02, MrBean wrote:

> I'm using now pdfcrown.com plugin in Firefox - not bad but some minor
> problems.

The real topic seems to be how to save a web page on your computer in
PDF format. That's very different from saving PDF files (which is rather
trivial).

> I'm not planning to edit saved pdf. Just a quickes way to save a page -
> some very interesting article.

I don't see why you want to save a web page as PDF, losing the
flexibility of HTML.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela 12-08-2012 10:36 AM

2012-12-08 12:22, MrBean wrote:

> On 8/12/2012 2:12 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

[...]
>> I don't see why you want to save a web page as PDF, losing the
>> flexibility of HTML.

You longish rant did not address my question. The question was not about
saving as such, but about saving a web page (consisting of an HTML
document and associated resources) as PDF.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Tim Streater 12-08-2012 12:01 PM

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

In article <k9v57a$5jl$1@dont-email.me>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> 2012-12-08 12:22, MrBean wrote:
>
> > On 8/12/2012 2:12 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> [...]
> >> I don't see why you want to save a web page as PDF, losing the
> >> flexibility of HTML.

> You longish rant did not address my question. The question was not about
> saving as such, but about saving a web page (consisting of an HTML
> document and associated resources) as PDF.

I go File -> Print, and then choose Save as PDF from the PDF drop-down
in the print dialog. SImples.

--
Tim

dorayme 12-08-2012 04:43 PM

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

In article <timstreater-562A0E.12010308122012@news.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

> I go File -> Print, and then choose Save as PDF from the PDF drop-down
> in the print dialog.

As would many a Mac user. All built-in when you get a Mac. Attention
Jonathan Little (who has been spotted eyeing off Macs when no one is
looking).

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little 12-08-2012 05:43 PM

dorayme wrote:
> In article <timstreater-562A0E.12010308122012@news.individual.net>,
> Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
>
>> I go File -> Print, and then choose Save as PDF from the PDF drop-down
>> in the print dialog.

> As would many a Mac user. All built-in when you get a Mac. Attention
> Jonathan Little (who has been spotted eyeing off Macs when no one is
> looking).

Keep dreaming! Of course MS outdid themselves making a bigger turkey
than Vista or ME with Win8! My redirection is to Linux not Mac...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Athel Cornish-Bowden 12-08-2012 06:07 PM

On 2012-12-08 16:43:14 +0000, dorayme said:

> In article <timstreater-562A0E.12010308122012@news.individual.net>,
> Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
>
>> I go File -> Print, and then choose Save as PDF from the PDF drop-down
>> in the print dialog.

> As would many a Mac user. All built-in when you get a Mac. Attention
> Jonathan Little (who has been spotted eyeing off Macs when no one is
> looking).

Yes. That explains why I was having difficulty figuring out what the
problem was. I don't forget that not everyone has a Mac, but I do tend
to forget that things that are easy and obvious on a Mac tend to
constitute serious stumbling blocks on other systems.

--
athel

Jukka K. Korpela 12-08-2012 09:37 PM

2012-12-08 13:52, MrBean wrote:

> Let mi try to answer your question once again.

This is the first time you write anything that constitutes an answer to
the question.

> I want to save information, pictures as well in a smallest, the most
> convenient format, which can be without any hassles d/loaded or send via
> email.

You are just saying that you regard PDF as a convenient format.

Try reading a good tutorial on HTML that explains its benefits,
including the possibilities of changing styling easily, embedding of
external content, extractability of text, and an open format that can
fairly easily be processed programmatically.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme 12-08-2012 10:39 PM

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

In article <aihdvmF6fgoU1@mid.individual.net>,
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> On 2012-12-08 16:43:14 +0000, dorayme said:
>
> > In article <timstreater-562A0E.12010308122012@news.individual.net>,
> > Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I go File -> Print, and then choose Save as PDF from the PDF drop-down
> >> in the print dialog.

> > As would many a Mac user. All built-in when you get a Mac. Attention
> > Jonathan Little (who has been spotted eyeing off Macs when no one is
> > looking).

> Yes. That explains why I was having difficulty figuring out what the
> problem was. I don't forget that not everyone has a Mac, but I do tend
> to forget that things that are easy and obvious on a Mac tend to
> constitute serious stumbling blocks on other systems.

When I run Windows in VirtualBox, if I am having a cup of tea at the
same time, I usually spill it because I am not sure how to hold the
cup properly.

--
dorayme

Tim Streater 12-08-2012 10:47 PM

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

In article <aihdvmF6fgoU1@mid.individual.net>,
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> difficulty

What is the fourth letter in the word above?

--
Tim

dorayme 12-08-2012 10:54 PM

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

In article <ka0bv6$8db$1@dont-email.me>,

> > Let mi try to answer your question once again.

> This is the first time you write anything that constitutes an answer to
> the question.
>
> > I want to save information, pictures as well in a smallest, the most
> > convenient format, which can be without any hassles d/loaded or send via
> > email.

> You are just saying that you regard PDF as a convenient format.
>
> Try reading a good tutorial on HTML that explains its benefits,
> including the possibilities of changing styling easily, embedding of
> external content, extractability of text, and an open format that can
> fairly easily be processed programmatically.

As for saving a web page so you can look at it offline or just to have
it on the desktop acting almost like a bookmark (its links can only be
operated on line), I just Command S (in this case equivalent to
File/Save As...) and leave the default "Web Archive" in the dropdown
menu choice (the other choice is saving the source HTML doc). On Mac
and Safari. Other browsers and OSs have variations on this theme,
surely.

In FF, at least you could in the past, unlike with the Safari *Web
Archive*, save a page and then look at it in *any* browser. I remember
that my old IE 5 (when I used to actually use IE on older Macs on less
than OSX) had a proprietary way of filing a webpage, even a site, you
could choose how deep the links should go... sort of worked
surprisingly well if I remember.)

--
dorayme