Velocity Reviews

-   -   441 Header line too long. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954835-441-header-line-too-long.html)

Geopelia 11-26-2012 12:39 AM

441 Header line too long.

441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.

What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten it please?
The subject line is very short and other messages are getting posted.

Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

Thank you
Geopelia

Enkidu 11-26-2012 02:48 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

On 26/11/12 13:39, Geopelia wrote:
> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>
> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten it
> please? The subject line is very short and other messages are getting
> posted.
>
> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.

Cheers,

Cliff

Geopelia 11-26-2012 03:58 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

"Enkidu" <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
> On 26/11/12 13:39, Geopelia wrote:
>> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>>
>> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten it
>> please? The subject line is very short and other messages are getting
>> posted.
>>
>> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.
>>

> Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
> some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
> is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
> message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
> just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
> use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thank you. I'm totally baffled.

I think I'll resend the message and see what happens. Perhaps if I rewrite
it it might work.

Geopelia

Geopelia 11-26-2012 04:18 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

"Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Enkidu" <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
>> On 26/11/12 13:39, Geopelia wrote:
>>> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>>>
>>> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten it
>>> please? The subject line is very short and other messages are getting
>>> posted.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.
>>>

>> Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
>> some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
>> is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
>> message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
>> just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
>> use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Thank you. I'm totally baffled.
>
> I think I'll resend the message and see what happens. Perhaps if I rewrite
> it, it might work.
>
> Geopelia

Tried it twice, no luck . Then I thought of cutting out a lot of letters and
numbers etc about google.
(Like your bit in blue, "news 50b2d etc.")

Surprise! That fixed it!
So now I think I know what a Header line is. But I may be wrong!

Geopelia

Enkidu 11-26-2012 05:06 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

On 26/11/12 17:18, Geopelia wrote:
> "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Enkidu" <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote in message

>>> Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
>>> some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
>>> is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
>>> message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
>>> just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
>>> use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff

>> Thank you. I'm totally baffled.
>>
>> I think I'll resend the message and see what happens. Perhaps if I rewrite
>> it, it might work.
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> Tried it twice, no luck . Then I thought of cutting out a lot of letters and
> numbers etc about google.
> (Like your bit in blue, "news 50b2d etc.")
>
> Surprise! That fixed it!
> So now I think I know what a Header line is. But I may be wrong!

Yes. Like I said though, there are some that OE doesn't show you,

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair 11-27-2012 12:16 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

In article <50b2d898$1@news.actrix.co.nz>, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
>On 26/11/12 13:39, Geopelia wrote:
>> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten it
>> please? The subject line is very short and other messages are getting
>> posted.
>>
>> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.
>>

>Every message has 'header lines' some of which may be visible to you and
>some might not. I suspect that the "References" line may be the one that
>is too long. When you reply to a message it appends the reference to the
>message that you are replying to to the "References" line, so the line
>just grows in length. I don't know what you can do about this as I don't
>use OE. There may be a setting in OE to handle this.

Try message and if there is a little arrow in the bottom right corner of
the "options" group, click that. Shows headers in outlook ... but I don't
know about OE. :)

Mike Dee 11-27-2012 02:26 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

Geopelia wrote:

> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>
> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten
> it please? The subject line is very short and other messages are
> getting posted.
>
> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

A single post can contain several "headers". They
are generally lines of info for the receiving server when you post.
Such as the "Subject", "Newsgroups", "References", "Xref", etc.
Some of these headers may not be visible to you in general use.
Very long headers can be in the "References" header, for example.

I think that this post from Eternal-September's owner/maintainer
gives the best description for your 441 Header Line too long error
message:

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/msg/c1772ab205d19df3>

Much of it may be a "bit wordy", I suspect. I'll quote some points
from his post:

"
* What does a "441 header too long" error mean? I'm using
* Eternal-September and never got this error before.

It means that the length of a single header line in your post
exceeds the allowed maximum of 998 characters.
[...]
* Where is the header that's too long located?

Most probably in your newsreader's outbox. You might want to check
it for a stuck article containing a corrupted header line.

* Can someone explain this so I can keep using this NSP? All I get
* these past few days is the same error when trying to post.

It is my assumption that the problem is caused by a single corrupt
posting in your outbox that your newsreader tries to repost every
time you post a new article. That means that other articles should
get posted, while you still receive the "411 Header line too long"
for the broken article.
"

HTH

--
dee

Geopelia 11-27-2012 02:51 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

"Mike Dee" <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote in message
> Geopelia wrote:
>
>> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>>
>> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I shorten
>> it please? The subject line is very short and other messages are
>> getting posted.
>>
>> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

> A single post can contain several "headers". They
> are generally lines of info for the receiving server when you post.
> Such as the "Subject", "Newsgroups", "References", "Xref", etc.
> Some of these headers may not be visible to you in general use.
> Very long headers can be in the "References" header, for example.
>
> I think that this post from Eternal-September's owner/maintainer
> gives the best description for your 441 Header Line too long error
> message:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/msg/c1772ab205d19df3>
>
> Much of it may be a "bit wordy", I suspect. I'll quote some points
> from his post:
>
> "
> * What does a "441 header too long" error mean? I'm using
> * Eternal-September and never got this error before.
>
> It means that the length of a single header line in your post
> exceeds the allowed maximum of 998 characters.
> [...]
> * Where is the header that's too long located?
>
> Most probably in your newsreader's outbox. You might want to check
> it for a stuck article containing a corrupted header line.
>
> * Can someone explain this so I can keep using this NSP? All I get
> * these past few days is the same error when trying to post.
>
> It is my assumption that the problem is caused by a single corrupt
> posting in your outbox that your newsreader tries to repost every
> time you post a new article. That means that other articles should
> get posted, while you still receive the "411 Header line too long"
> for the broken article.
> "
>
> HTH

Thank you.
I had a look at that website, but it's too advanced for me.

I fixed it by deleting the string of letters and numbers in blue, at the
top. I've no idea how to explain that in technical language, but I'll do it
again if it happens again.

I keep getting a message to change to Google Chrome. Should I do that
please?
Google Groups changed a few years ago, and I found the new version too hard
to use.

Geopelia

Bruce Sinclair 11-27-2012 04:47 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

In article <k919rg$aem$1@dont-email.me>, "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:
(snip)

>I keep getting a message to change to Google Chrome. Should I do that
>please?

Google would like you to. :) But if you are happy with what you are using as
a browser, then there's no reason to change.

>Google Groups changed a few years ago, and I found the new version too hard
>to use.

Google groups is the question. The answer is no. :)
I tried to use them/it for a couple of days a year or so back, but compared
to actual news groups with a "real" news reader (even OE), it was so bad I
preferred no news. :) :)

Too much formatting and rubbish and not enough signal. The long 'header'
line you saw was almost certainly a text interpretation of a nasty google
groups header.

Good to hear all is now well.

Mike Dee 11-27-2012 05:18 AM

Re: 441 Header line too long.

Geopelia wrote:

> "Mike Dee" <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote in message
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> 441 Header line too long. It wouldn't post.
>>>
>>> What does that mean? What is the Header line and how do I
>>> shorten it please? The subject line is very short and other
>>> messages are getting posted.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express 6, eternal-september.

>> A single post can contain several "headers". They
>> are generally lines of info for the receiving server when you
>> post. Such as the "Subject", "Newsgroups", "References", "Xref",
>> etc. Some of these headers may not be visible to you in general
>> use. Very long headers can be in the "References" header, for
>> example.
>>
>> from Eternal-September's owner/maintainer:
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/msg/c1772ab205d19df3>
>> I'll quote some points from his post:
>> "
>> It is my assumption that the problem is caused by a single
>> corrupt posting in your outbox that your newsreader tries to
>> repost every time you post a new article. That means that other
>> articles should get posted, while you still receive the "411
>> Header line too long" for the broken article.
>> "

[...]
> I fixed it by deleting the string of letters and numbers in blue,
> at the top. I've no idea how to explain that in technical
> language, but I'll do it again if it happens again.

That was a coincidence, I believe. As what you refer to there is the
"Who wrote" info (of whom you are replying to) quoted in the body
text of the post you are sending. Its not a posts header info that
gets sent to the server before the article is delivered.

But, whatever was causing the bottleneck, it seems to have vanished
for you. So that's a good thing.

> I keep getting a message to change to Google Chrome. Should I do
> that please?

I'm assuming that you have a Google search bar in your browser? If
so, I guess that it is trying to get you to use its browser, if you
aren't already using Chrome.

If you're happy with your current browser, you can stick with what
you like.

A lot of people do use Google's Chrome now. I have to confess that
I've only tried it on a friends computer running XP and it did seem
very fast compared to the Seamonkey browser I currently use (I don't
have a Google Search bar either so I don't get those kinds of nags).

It is possible to install Chrome (just to try it for yourself) and
keep your current browser, in case you'd rather stay with what you
know... I'm a poor advocate tho' as I don't run it, myself.

> Google Groups changed a few years ago, and I found the new version
> too hard to use.

Yes, Google Groups is the pits. I use it only infrequently when
accessing/searching for posts that have been made months to years
back, to newsgroups who's posts have long since vanished from news
servers.

--
dee