Velocity Reviews

-   -   Crossword project (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954757-crossword-project.html)

Malcolm McLean 11-22-2012 06:01 PM

Crossword project

This is my latest hobby project. A program to enable people to design crosswords.

You can see it at
http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rosswords.html

It's written in C, under the Windows Win32 API. Whilst I'd be grateful for
any feedback ion the crossword-related elements of the project, I'm posting
here mainly on the programming issues. I feel I'm behind the times.

If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
viruses. Also, it's only usable on Windows. The program consists of a fairly
standard grid editor - just donkey work to knock up, routines to load and
save files, which are much more trouble than they should be since someone
specified an xml-based format for crosswords. So of course I need to
incorporate an entire XML parser into the program to read foreign files.
Then it's got a word matcher which is based on public domain spellchecker
files. Because it's written in C, this runs interactively and smoothly with
no clever programming - it just does a brute force O(N) search of the entire
database.
So maybe the interface should be web-based and the word search written in C?
But how do I go about setting up a CGI program on a free web host?

JohnF 11-23-2012 10:02 AM

Re: Crossword project

Malcolm McLean <malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com> wrote:

> http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rosswords.html
> [...]
> So maybe the interface should be web-based [...]
> But how do I go about setting up a CGI program on a free web host?

What's the problem, exactly? I have several public web services
written in C and set up as cgi's, with no programming or installation
problems whatsoever. The most popular by far (about half a million
requests per day) is www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html (for web service
details, see Section 5.2 Public mimeTeX web service).

Regarding games in general, did you see that Nova Science Now
tv show about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldit ?
Seems like a brilliant idea -- wrap a game-like front end around
serious scientific problems, thereby "crowd sourcing" solutions.
Maybe you could think of some other general classes of problems
amenable to this kind of treatment. Offhand, I'm failing to think
of any, but if you're investing serious time developing games,
you might want to give it a try.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Malcolm McLean 11-24-2012 03:23 PM

Re: Crossword project

On Friday, November 23, 2012 10:02:35 AM UTC, JohnF wrote:
> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> What's the problem, exactly? I have several public web services
> written in C and set up as cgi's, with no programming or installation
> problems whatsoever.

The problem is finding a host.

Gene 12-16-2012 09:21 PM

Re: Crossword project

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:

> If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
> viruses.

You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit, you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.

Ian Collins 12-16-2012 09:28 PM

Re: Crossword project

Gene wrote:

Please wrap your lines!

> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean
> wrote:
>
>> If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the
>> threat of viruses.

> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code
> signing cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to
> pay a bit, you can buy a cert that names you or your business at
> installation time.

Or simply provide the MD5 sum on the download page.

--
Ian Collins

Malcolm McLean 12-17-2012 10:20 AM

Re: Crossword project

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:21:46 PM UTC, Gene wrote:
> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:
>
> > If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
> > viruses.

> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
> cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
> you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.

How do you do that?

Shao Miller 12-17-2012 10:39 AM

Off-topic: Signing a C Windows Program (Was: Re: Crossword project)

On 12/17/2012 05:20, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:21:46 PM UTC, Gene wrote:
>> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>
>>> If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
>>> viruses.

>> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
>> cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
>> you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.
>>

> How do you do that?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

(But the MD5 suggestion works, too.)

- Shao Miller

Phil Carmody 12-17-2012 09:45 PM

Re: Off-topic: Signing a C Windows Program (Was: Re: Crossword project)

Shao Miller <sha0.miller@gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/17/2012 05:20, Malcolm McLean wrote:

> >> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
> >> cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
> >> you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.
> >>

> > How do you do that?
> >

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> (But the MD5 suggestion works, too.)

If someone has hacked your website so that your download is not the
right one, then probably the md5sum on it won't be the right one
either.

Phil
--
I'm not saying that google groups censors my posts, but there's a strong link
between me saying "google groups sucks" in articles, and them disappearing.

Oh - I guess I might be saying that google groups censors my posts.