Velocity Reviews

-   -   Any Way Around This MS Junk? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954639-any-way-around-this-ms-junk.html)

Justin 11-19-2012 09:20 PM

Any Way Around This MS Junk?

Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
Here it is in IE...
http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg

Here it is in Mozilla.
http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg

Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

Ralph Fox 11-20-2012 09:01 AM

Re: Any Way Around This MS Junk?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:

> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
> Here it is in IE...
> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>
> Here it is in Mozilla.
> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>
> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/

This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.

It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
will work there.

2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these

IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/ie-tab-plus/
IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...e-tab-2-ff-36/

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Tim W 11-23-2012 09:17 AM

On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
> Here it is in IE...
> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>
> Here it is in Mozilla.
> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>
> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

Incredible There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
to wonder why anyone would do such a peverse thing.

The other one I know of is RyanAir's print-your-own boarding-card site.
It just doesn't work and there is no explanation. You ring the helpline
number and some poor person is spending a long shift just telling people
they have to use IE if they want to board their flight. It beggars belief.

Tim w

Madlove 11-27-2012 11:37 PM

Tim W wrote:
> On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
>> Here it is in IE...
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>>
>> Here it is in Mozilla.
>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>>
>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

> Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
> to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

Justin 11-28-2012 12:16 AM

On 11/20/2012 4:01 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:
>
>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
>> Here it is in IE...
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>>
>> Here it is in Mozilla.
>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>>
>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

> 1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/
>
> This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.
>
> It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
> would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
> Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
> will work there.
>

> 2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these
>
> IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/ie-tab-plus/
> IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...e-tab-2-ff-36/

Nope, didn't work.

Justin 11-28-2012 12:28 AM

On 11/23/2012 4:17 AM, Tim W wrote:
> On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
>> Here it is in IE...
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>>
>> Here it is in Mozilla.
>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>>
>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

> Incredible There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
> to wonder why anyone would do such a peverse thing.

This is Ford's backend, accessible only to dealers. Microsoft and Ford
teamed up - Sync.
So the general public isn't affected. However, that second plugin seems
to work. I wish there was something similar for Safari.

> The other one I know of is RyanAir's print-your-own boarding-card site.
> It just doesn't work and there is no explanation. You ring the helpline
> number and some poor person is spending a long shift just telling people
> they have to use IE if they want to board their flight. It beggars belief.
>
> Tim w

RyanAir probably used a bootleg version of Sharepoint server to write
their horrible webpage.

Justin 11-28-2012 06:51 AM

Re: Any Way Around This MS Junk?

On 11/20/2012 4:01 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:
>
>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
>> Here it is in IE...
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>>
>> Here it is in Mozilla.
>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>>
>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

> 1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/
>
> This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.
>
> It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
> would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
> Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
> will work there.
>

> 2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these
>
> IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/ie-tab-plus/
> IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...e-tab-2-ff-36/

actually those two pluging run an instance of IF in a Mozilla tab.
Completely useless.

Tim W 11-28-2012 09:36 AM

On 27/11/2012 23:37, Madlove wrote:
> Tim W wrote:
>> On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
>>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
>>> Here it is in IE...
>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
>>>
>>> Here it is in Mozilla.
>>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
>>>
>>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

>> Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You
>> have to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

> Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

Justin 11-28-2012 08:19 PM

On 11/28/2012 4:36 AM, Tim W wrote:
> On 27/11/2012 23:37, Madlove wrote:
>> Tim W wrote:

>>> Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You
>>> have to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

>> Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

> I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
> program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

Eventually I'm going back to Mac. Once my 15'4" MBP sells on eBay, I'm
getting a 17" with the Retina screen, upgrading to at least 8GB of ram
and running VirtualBox. Maybe I'll just use the company's Terminal
Services Server for stuff that must be IE.
I think that Ford backend is ActiveX. I can't give out the account info
for obvious reasons.

Justin 11-28-2012 08:34 PM

Justin wrote on [Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:19:57 -0500]:
> On 11/28/2012 4:36 AM, Tim W wrote:

>>> Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

>> I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
>> program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

> Eventually I'm going back to Mac. Once my 15'4" MBP sells on eBay, I'm
> getting a 17" with the Retina screen, upgrading to at least 8GB of ram

They killed the 17" Macbook Pros when they came out with the 15" with
Retina display