Problems with SIPGATE over last few weeks
Sorry if this is a little long winded but please bear with me.
I have been a long time sipgate user for about 7 years. Mostly it has worked fine without too many problems.
However over the last few weeks its been driving me nuts and I am going round in circles.
I have a wifimax internet provider which has been giving me upto 10mb/s for the last couple of years without problems.
My hardware I had been using for around 3 months has been the draytek 2130VN, this has 2 VOIP lines enabled, sipgate and a Spanish one.
All of a sudden the sigate account would not register (no changes done to any configuration).
So after several days of it not coming back on usual things, reset etc.
I plugged in my backup system, a D-Link 615 and lynksys PAP2.
(actually I have 2 pap2's) both have been working for more than a year until I moved to the vigor combined router.
Both the PAP2 have identical configurations.
One would work on sipgate, the other would not.
No worries used the working one. This worked fine for a week.
Then yesterday afternoon that one stopped registering on sipgate (other voip working fine)
Again no changes at my end.
During this time I have been exchanging emails to and throw sipgate support which has been quite painful as the guy I have been getting responses is not really reading emails I send them and getting basic answers back, however they say nothing is wrong at their end.
Last night whilst pap2 would not connect I downloaded virtual phone for windows and installed it. (this from sipgate website). It worked. However call quality was unusable and 2ndly dont want to use computer to make phone calls.
What I am trying to understand is why my hardware is suddenly not working.
My internet provider claims they have done nothing, sipgate say it works.
But here on ground I have now 3 lots of kit that does not.
Help / suggestions please.
Just done a trace route seems to take a long time.
Traceroute has started…
traceroute to 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 dd-wrt (192.168.1.1) 10.411 ms 0.839 ms 0.867 ms
2 126.96.36.199.comenersol.com (188.8.131.52) 16.371 ms 15.910 ms 8.410 ms
3 10.10.254.253 (10.10.254.253) 10.421 ms 39.653 ms 8.966 ms
4 184.108.40.206.static.user.ono.com (220.127.116.11) 30.560 ms 9.877 ms 12.561 ms
5 10.254.4.17 (10.254.4.17) 20.572 ms 18.217 ms 15.949 ms
6 10.254.9.157 (10.254.9.157) 44.091 ms 22.724 ms 18.452 ms
7 10.254.2.117 (10.254.2.117) 16.057 ms
10.254.4.170 (10.254.4.170) 18.068 ms 17.247 ms
8 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124) 16.733 ms
126.96.36.199 (188.8.131.52) 18.774 ms
184.108.40.206 (220.127.116.11) 31.326 ms
9 ae-1-3.bar1.barcelona1.level3.net (18.104.22.168) 38.308 ms 22.759 ms 24.531 ms
10 ae-8-8.ebr1.frankfurt1.level3.net (22.214.171.124 ) 47.690 ms 44.081 ms 42.564 ms
11 ae-61-61.csw1.frankfurt1.level3.net (126.96.36.199) 57.033 ms 42.846 ms 45.126 ms
12 ae-1-60.edge4.frankfurt1.level3.net (188.8.131.52 ) 61.857 ms 48.568 ms 49.950 ms
13 te2-2.c102.f.de.plusline.net (184.108.40.206 ) 45.799 ms 44.134 ms 42.826 ms
14 220.127.116.11 (18.104.22.168) 66.865 ms 188.531 ms 338.605 ms
15 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 58.041 ms 55.525 ms 78.736 ms
16 c12-1-e1-7.netzquadrat.net (188.8.131.52) 48.271 ms 50.272 ms 46.764 ms
17 r12-1-e1-1.netzquadrat.net (184.108.40.206 ) 63.105 ms 65.859 ms 48.844 ms
18 sipgate.co.uk (220.127.116.11) 57.394 ms 55.199 ms 48.822 ms
I have 2 PAP2's the unused one I did a full factory reset on it and re entered the sipgate settings.
Plugged it in and it does not work.
The other one that had stopped worked plugged that back in and that now works again (yesterday did this and it refused to connect to sipegate)
I am going in circles with this. !
|All times are GMT. The time now is 09:15 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.