Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954351-best-place-to-share-find-and-obtain-public-domain-pictures.html)

sobriquet 11-08-2012 09:09 PM

best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 

Hi.

What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit
and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain
pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.

Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that
it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when
you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any
particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used
online, it can't even find a reference back to that
publicdomainpictures.net site.

Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or
something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites
(flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and
seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find
the images they are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mayayana 11-08-2012 10:16 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.

Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
risk you should probably either buy rights outright
or take the picture yourself.

The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
And when I checked a particular image it clearly
said that it was free to use:

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...re=red-baubles

On the other hand, you have to sign up with the
site to access the images, and there's no telling
what that might get you hooked into.

The site is registered to Bobek Ltd in the UK. They
seem legit., though they claim to be a web design
company but have no portfolio to speak of. And the
domain contacts listed in WHOIS are all in Czechoslovakia.


| What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
| create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
| instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
| online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?
|
| I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit
| and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain
| pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.
|
| Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that
| it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when
| you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any
| particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used
| online, it can't even find a reference back to that
| publicdomainpictures.net site.
|
| Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or
| something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites
| (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and
| seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find
| the images they are looking for.
|
| Thanks in advance for any suggestions.



sobriquet 11-08-2012 10:19 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:01:56 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-08 13:09:39 -0800, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> said:
>
>
>
> >

>
> > Hi.

>
> >

>
> > What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to

>
> > create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for

>
> > instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared

>
> > online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

>
> >

>
> > I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit

>
> > and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain

>
> > pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.

>
> >

>
> > Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that

>
> > it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when

>
> > you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any

>
> > particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used

>
> > online, it can't even find a reference back to that

>
> > publicdomainpictures.net site.

>
> >

>
> > Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or

>
> > something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites

>
> > (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and

>
> > seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find

>
> > the images they are looking for.

>
> >

>
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

>
>
>
> If all you are looking for is a way a group of individuals can
>
> cooperate on a project or series of image files and then save back to
>
> the collaboratively shared online folder, the answer can lie in a
>
> "Cloud" service such as DropBox, PogoPlug, or Google's G-Drive.
>
> This is a way of keeping the original and altered image files together,
>
> where only the members of the sharing group have access. The creator of
>
> the shared folder controls who has access and can add new collaborators
>
> or deny access to past collaborators.
>
> The final product can be shared with the rest of the online world by
>
> providing non-sharing URLs to the folder or individual image files.
>
>
>
> Here is the DropBox help page on collaborative sharing:
>
> < https://www.dropbox.com/help/19/en >
>
>
>
> So I can create a "Shared" folder which contains one of my original, or
>
> one of your original image files and the two of us can work together to
>
> create different versions of the originals or add annotations to copies
>
> of any of the image files as part of our collaborative work.
>
>
>
> The URL of a DB "shared" folder is best dealt with via email.
>
>
>
> The beauty of using this method is, you don't have to deal with Flickr,
>
> or Picasaweb TOS.
>
>
>
> This is not the same as linking to one of your DropBox folders where
>
> all you are doing is providing a URL to a folder in your DB account
>
> where only you can add or delete files you wish to share. Several of
>
> the DB users in the photo-groups use this method of posting a simple
>
> gallery of image files where you can control the download criteria.
>
> Here is one such DB folder of mine:
>
> <
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...emite/El%20Cap
>
> >

>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> Savageduck


Well, I was thinking more of a kind of public domain library,
similar to the kind of libraries that are provided by companies
like shutterstock or corbis (except that they obviously don't
subscribe to the idea of sharing images freely).
Anyone should easily be able to access it (so preferably people should
not even have to register in order to upload or download pictures,
similar to how one can easily upload images to imgur.com).

Images obtained in that public domain library (as well as
photoshop/gimp compositions based on them) should also be
free to share anywhere else (like on imgur.com).

So the main feature I'm interested in, is having as large a
library of freely usable images as possible (created in a
kind of grass-roots / crowd-sourcing fashion), so it's easy
to find source material for creating digital mash-ups. Of
course the site should support things like tags to make images
more easily retrievable as well as ratings, so people can
easily find quality images based on keywords they enter.

sobriquet 11-08-2012 10:31 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:15:57 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
> NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.
>
>
>
> Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
>
> find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
>
> CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
>
> non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
>
> used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
>
> risk you should probably either buy rights outright
>
> or take the picture yourself.
>
>
>
> The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
>
> any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
>
> And when I checked a particular image it clearly
>
> said that it was free to use:
>
>
>
> http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...re=red-baubles
>


http://imgur.com/Ea90w

Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.

You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.

If you click the name of the user that provided the picture, you get
an overview of their uploads. For some users, it looks a bit dubious
whether or not they are actually the one owning the rights to the
images they have uploaded there.
But in general that site very much approaches what I had in mind
as a kind of large public domain stock photo/illustration library.

>
>
> On the other hand, you have to sign up with the
>
> site to access the images, and there's no telling
>
> what that might get you hooked into.
>
>
>
> The site is registered to Bobek Ltd in the UK. They
>
> seem legit., though they claim to be a web design
>
> company but have no portfolio to speak of. And the
>
> domain contacts listed in WHOIS are all in Czechoslovakia.
>
>
>
>
>
> | What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
>
> | create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
>
> | instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
>
> | online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?
>
> |
>
> | I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit
>
> | and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain
>
> | pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.
>
> |
>
> | Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that
>
> | it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when
>
> | you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any
>
> | particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used
>
> | online, it can't even find a reference back to that
>
> | publicdomainpictures.net site.
>
> |
>
> | Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or
>
> | something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites
>
> | (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and
>
> | seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find
>
> | the images they are looking for.
>
> |
>
> | Thanks in advance for any suggestions.


sobriquet 11-08-2012 10:48 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:15:57 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
> NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.
>
>
>
> Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
>
> find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
>
> CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
>
> non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
>
> used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
>
> risk you should probably either buy rights outright
>
> or take the picture yourself.
>
>
>
> The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
>
> any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
>
> And when I checked a particular image it clearly
>
> said that it was free to use:
>
>
>
> http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...re=red-baubles
>
>
>
> On the other hand, you have to sign up with the
>
> site to access the images, and there's no telling
>
> what that might get you hooked into.
>
>


Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.

http://imgur.com/gMDW9

Previously, you could even submit a list of weblinks to images from the clipboard and then it would upload them straight from the source and
you could create a neat album from it with thumbnails.
You can still do that, but now they force you to enter the weblinks
one by one. That kind of sucks, but you can't upload more than
about 150 pics in one single album anyway.
A solution for that is to use winhttrack or webreaper to download images
based on a list of weblinks, and then you can still upload them all at
once to imgur to easily create an album with those images.

Mayayana 11-08-2012 11:10 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
| http://imgur.com/Ea90w
|
| Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
| their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.
|

The front page says this:

-----------------------------------------------------
Royalty free stock photos. All pictures are free for commercial and personal
use.
Welcome to Public Domain Pictures
Public Domain Pictures.net is a repository for free public domain images.
You can download high quality photos or upload your own pictures. Raise
money for charity, gain popularity and improve your photographic and graphic
skills.

If you intend to use an image you find here for commercial use, please be
aware that some photos do require a model or property release. Pictures
featuring products should be used with care.

The pictures are free for you to use and you should feel good about doing
so. If you enjoy your visit, please tell your friends about Public Domain
Pictures.net.

---------------------------------------------------

The picture I looked at said they would like a link but
didn't say you have to.

If there are terms somewhere that say otherwise I
can't find them.

| You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
| at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
| to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
| right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.

Yes, I tried that. I got a 55 KB JPG. :)
In other words, the image on the page is
a very low quality image, just barely good
enough for website display.



Mayayana 11-08-2012 11:13 PM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
| Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
| their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
| from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
| the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.
|

So you can send me a link that sends me to
a website that hosts a stolen image from a
website for which you could have just sent me
a link in the first place??

I don't get it.



nick c 11-09-2012 12:01 AM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On 11/8/2012 3:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-08 15:13:55 -0800, "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> said:
>
>> | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
>> | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
>> | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
>> | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.
>> |
>>
>> So you can send me a link that sends me to
>> a website that hosts a stolen image from a
>> website for which you could have just sent me
>> a link in the first place??
>>
>> I don't get it.

>
> Sobriquet likes free stuff, and stuff he can hijack. He believes that
> everything should be free once it has had the slightest sniff of the
> internet.
> He believes copyrighted images, original work, movies, software and
> service TOS's are an interference to his thievery.
>


Must be a Democrat. :)

sobriquet 11-09-2012 12:32 AM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:43:26 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-08 14:19:24 -0800, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> said:
>
>
>
> > On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:01:56 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

>
> >> On 2012-11-08 13:09:39 -0800, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> said:

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Hi.

>
> >>> What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to

>
> >>> create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for

>
> >>> instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared

>
> >>> online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

>
> >>>

>
> >>> I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit

>
> >>> and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain

>
> >>> pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.

>
> >>> Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that

>
> >>> it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when

>
> >>> you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any

>
> >>> particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used

>
> >>> online, it can't even find a reference back to that

>
> >>> publicdomainpictures.net site.

>
> >>> Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or

>
> >>> something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites

>
> >>> (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and

>
> >>> seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find

>
> >>> the images they are looking for.

>
> >>

>
> >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> If all you are looking for is a way a group of individuals can

>
> >> cooperate on a project or series of image files and then save back to

>
> >> the collaboratively shared online folder, the answer can lie in a

>
> >> "Cloud" service such as DropBox, PogoPlug, or Google's G-Drive.

>
> >> This is a way of keeping the original and altered image files together,

>
> >> where only the members of the sharing group have access. The creator of

>
> >> the shared folder controls who has access and can add new collaborators

>
> >> or deny access to past collaborators.

>
> >>

>
> >> The final product can be shared with the rest of the online world by

>
> >> providing non-sharing URLs to the folder or individual image files.

>
> >>

>
> >> Here is the DropBox help page on collaborative sharing:

>
> >> < https://www.dropbox.com/help/19/en >

>
> >>

>
> >> So I can create a "Shared" folder which contains one of my original, or

>
> >> one of your original image files and the two of us can work together to

>
> >> create different versions of the originals or add annotations to copies

>
> >> of any of the image files as part of our collaborative work.

>
> >>

>
> >> The URL of a DB "shared" folder is best dealt with via email.

>
> >>

>
> >> The beauty of using this method is, you don't have to deal with Flickr,

>
> >> or Picasaweb TOS.

>
> >>

>
> >> This is not the same as linking to one of your DropBox folders where

>
> >> all you are doing is providing a URL to a folder in your DB account

>
> >> where only you can add or delete files you wish to share. Several of

>
> >> the DB users in the photo-groups use this method of posting a simple

>
> >> gallery of image files where you can control the download criteria.

>
> >>

>
> >> Here is one such DB folder of mine:

>
> >> <

>
> >>

>
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...emite/El%20Cap

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Well,
>
> >>

>
> > I was thinking more of a kind of public domain library,

>
> > similar to the kind of libraries that are provided by companies

>
> > like shutterstock or corbis (except that they obviously don't

>
> > subscribe to the idea of sharing images freely).

>
> > Anyone should easily be able to access it (so preferably people should

>
> > not even have to register in order to upload or download pictures,

>
> > similar to how one can easily upload images to imgur.com).

>
> >

>
> > Images obtained in that public domain library (as well as

>
> > photoshop/gimp compositions based on them) should also be

>
> > free to share anywhere else (like on imgur.com).

>
> >

>
> > So the main feature I'm interested in, is having as large a

>
> > library of freely usable images as possible (created in a

>
> > kind of grass-roots / crowd-sourcing fashion), so it's easy

>
> > to find source material for creating digital mash-ups. Of

>
> > course the site should support things like tags to make images

>
> > more easily retrievable as well as ratings, so people can

>
> > easily find quality images based on keywords they enter.

>
>
>
> OK! I should have guessed where you were coming from and what you were
>
> trying for. I was thinking of something completely different. So it
>
> looks like you are going to have to deal with the various TOS's and
>
> work within the rules of the source site for those images you work on.
>
>
>
> Just remember you are using their original property in your derivative
>
> work, and they should get acknowledgement if it is a requirement for
>
> you to use their work in yours.
>


That just depends on the website you use and their agreement with
their users who collectively share their images in order to create
a large shared library of material.
For the publicdomainpictures.net website, their sole requirement
for re-sharing online is a reference to the source, but I think
I'd prefer a site where this is optional rather than mandatory.

So when you are just screwing around a bit in photoshop and share
the result back online as a digital doodle, I think it's not such
a big deal to ensure you reference back to each and every source
image you've used.
But if you create a more serious artwork that you've been working
on for some time, it might be courteous to acknowledge where you
obtained the source images that were used.

>
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> Savageduck


sobriquet 11-09-2012 12:35 AM

Re: best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures
 
On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:12:56 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
> | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
>
> | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
>
> | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
>
> | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.
>
> |
>
>
>
> So you can send me a link that sends me to
>
> a website that hosts a stolen image from a
>
> website for which you could have just sent me
>
> a link in the first place??
>
>
>
> I don't get it.


Well, the site that hosts the original image might suck (like having
a shitty background or annoying ads), so that's one reason I can think
of to link to a version at imgur instead.

But that feature really comes in handy when presenting a number of
images from various sites, so you can get them all together
in an album for a convenient visual comparison.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.