Velocity Reviews

-   -   search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954337-search-some-good-vhdl-preprocessor-opensource.html)

troll greenЪ 11-08-2012 04:06 PM

search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

Can anyone help?
Main tags: opensource, good architectured.

Google, opencores didn't help :)
Thanks!

HT-Lab 11-08-2012 04:26 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

On 08/11/2012 16:06, troll greenЪ wrote:
> Can anyone help?
> Main tags: opensource, good architectured.
>
> Google, opencores didn't help :)
> Thanks!

I have used VPP in the past, I did modify it slightly but I can't
remember what I changed, anyway you can download the source

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vhdlpp/

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Rob Gaddi 11-08-2012 04:49 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:06:45 -0800 (PST)
troll greenЪ <xornonop@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone help?
> Main tags: opensource, good architectured.
>
> Google, opencores didn't help :)
> Thanks!

I've used cpp, M4, and my own proprietary code all as VHDL
preprocessors in the past. Inevitably, they allowed me to write
non-standard code that was more difficult to maintain and work with in
the long run.

VHDL is a fantastically extensible language. Whatever it is you think
you need a preprocessor for, you're probably wrong.

troll greenЪ 11-08-2012 05:01 PM

Thanks! I've tried it today but I'll try to find something more complex. Looks like https://metacpan.org/release/Hardware-Vhdl-Automake is a good stuff.
https://metacpan.org/source/MYKL/Har...reProcessor.pm

troll greenЪ 11-08-2012 05:10 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

> I've used cpp,
You mean KPP -- http://klabs.org/richcontent/software_content/kpp.htm
Or i'm wrong?

>M4,

Hard to find - can you provide some link?

>Inevitably, they allowed me to write
> non-standard code that was more difficult to maintain and work with in
> the long run.

Yes...

> Whatever it is you think you need a preprocessor for, you're probably wrong.

I need it to control matlab->HDL flow easily.
F.E. change vhdl coder output parts for using some FPGA embedded DSP blocks.
etc.
Have my own samples, but do not want to reinvent the wheel in the case of bone preprocessor :)

HT-Lab 11-08-2012 05:22 PM

On 08/11/2012 16:49, Rob Gaddi wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:06:45 -0800 (PST)
> troll greenЪ <xornonop@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help?
>> Main tags: opensource, good architectured.
>>
>> Google, opencores didn't help :)
>> Thanks!

> I've used cpp, M4, and my own proprietary code all as VHDL
> preprocessors in the past. Inevitably, they allowed me to write
> non-standard code that was more difficult to maintain and work with in
> the long run.
>
> VHDL is a fantastically extensible language. Whatever it is you think
> you need a preprocessor for, you're probably wrong.

Probably he isn't as preprocessing is being discussed in the P1076
steering group:

http://www.eda.org/twiki/bin/view.cg...DLPreprocessor

I do hope we don't end up with the unreadable ' or is it the ` character...

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

troll greenЪ 11-08-2012 05:42 PM

On 8 ноя, 21:22, HT-Lab <han...@htminuslab.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2012 16:49, Rob Gaddi wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:06:45 -0800 (PST)
> > troll greenЪ <xorno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can anyone help?
> >> Main tags: opensource, good architectured.

> >> Google, opencores didn't help :)
> >> Thanks!

> > I've used cpp, M4, and my own proprietary code all as VHDL
> > preprocessors in the past. *Inevitably, they allowed me to write
> > non-standard code that was more difficult to maintain and work with in
> > the long run.

> > VHDL is a fantastically extensible language. *Whatever it is you think
> > you need a preprocessor for, you're probably wrong.

> Probably he isn't as preprocessing is being discussed in the P1076
> steering group:
>
> http://www.eda.org/twiki/bin/view.cg...DLPreprocessor
>
> I do hope we don't end up with the unreadable ' or is it the ` character....
>
> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

Cool link, thanks. Try to collect and optimize all my ideas :)

>I do hope we don't end up with the unreadable ' or is it the ` character....

Yap. too.

Rob Gaddi 11-08-2012 05:46 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 09:10:06 -0800 (PST)
troll greenЪ <xornonop@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've used cpp,

> You mean KPP -- http://klabs.org/richcontent/software_content/kpp.htm
> Or i'm wrong?

No, cpp, the C preprocessor. #define, #include, etc. If you've got a
standard GNU GCC installation, the preprocessor is a standalone
program, and can be used on anything you like not just C. Good:
super-easy to work with and you already know the syntax. Bad: pretty
limited in terms of what it can do.

> >M4,

> Hard to find - can you provide some link?

http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/

Good: Super powerful. Turing complete in fact; you can make M4 do
pretty much anything you want it to. Bad: Expect to spend time syntax
tuning. Lots and lots of time. One thing that helps with that is to
use whichever command line setting changes the command names from
things like divert and index to m4_divert and m4_index, you'll get far
fewer collisions that way.

> >Inevitably, they allowed me to write
> > non-standard code that was more difficult to maintain and work with in
> > the long run.

> Yes...
>
> > Whatever it is you think you need a preprocessor for, you're probably wrong.

> I need it to control matlab->HDL flow easily.
> F.E. change vhdl coder output parts for using some FPGA embedded DSP blocks.
> etc.
> Have my own samples, but do not want to reinvent the wheel in the case ofbone preprocessor :)

Another option would be to have Matlab write out text files, and use
std.textio to read those text files from VHDL to configure things.
That's generally kosher for synthesis so long as your use of textio
only happens at elaboration time. Generally you'd wrap a function
around the textio calls, and have that function return something that
can initialize a constant, that can then make the rest of your code do
what it ought. I've used this technique primarily for initializing
ROMs, filter coefficients, etc.

Or have Matlab write out functions, procedures, or
constants to a VHDL package file, and then use that package in your
main code. I've used this technique to create packages that hold
things like Subversion revision, timestamp, etc, in such a way that
they can be synthesized in.

troll greenЪ 11-08-2012 06:47 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

> No, cpp, the C preprocessor.
oh, ok :) I forgot about original variant

> Good:
> super-easy to work with and you already know the syntax. *Bad: pretty
> limited in terms of what it can do.

Understood, with all limitations

> http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/

Thanks, never heard about it before

> Bad: Expect to spend time syntax tuning. *Lots and lots of time.

Yes, too heavy "add-on" for vhdl. Not an elegant solution

>std.textio to read those text files from VHDL to configure things

Hmm... might be much prettier.

Last seen GNU ADA gnatprep preprocessor is very simple and ugly, so
I'll try your naturally VHDL variant :)
Big tnx!

> I've used this technique to create packages that hold
> things like Subversion revision, timestamp, etc

Preffer matlab/vhdl project makefiles for similar tasks.
And something like Apache Ant -- http://ant.apache.org/ -- upper.
With simple AntNest GUI -- http://antsnest.sourceforge.net/
:)

Andy 11-08-2012 07:26 PM

Re: search some good vhdl preprocessor (opensource)

Hopefully, the only "preprocessing" allowed will be to address tool incompatibility, especially WRT new LRM features not yet universally supported.

I adamantly oppose standardizing anything approaching the common pre-processors in use with other languages today. They are too often abused to allow lazy, unmaintaibable coding, while slowing the development of language features to accomplish the same functionality. Exhibit A: SystemVerilog and UVM..

For those that want to incorporate a pre-processor in their tool flow, thatis fine, but as far as the standard is concerned, such capability should be considerably limited.

Just my $0.02...

Andy