Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor, 39-point AF, wireless port (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954299-re-nikon-reveals-d5200-slr-with-d7000-taunting-specs-24mp-sensor-39-point-af-wireless-port.html)

Polly the Parrott 11-07-2012 07:33 PM

Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor, 39-point AF, wireless port

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:

>Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

DX sensor.

Isn't FX the way to go?

David Taylor 11-07-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor,39-point AF, wireless port

On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
[]
> DX sensor.
>
> Isn't FX the way to go?

Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
right now (between FX and 4/3).
--
Cheers,
David

PeterN 11-07-2012 09:26 PM

On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-07 11:33:02 -0800, Polly the Parrott
> <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> said:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
>> mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:
>>
>>> Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

>> DX sensor.
>>
>> Isn't FX the way to go?

> Only for those who truly need it.

Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
photo equipment?

Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
enjoyable. But we do not need it.

--
Peter

nick c 11-07-2012 10:23 PM

On 11/7/2012 1:26 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-11-07 11:33:02 -0800, Polly the Parrott
>> <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> said:

>>> DX sensor.
>>>
>>> Isn't FX the way to go?

>> Only for those who truly need it.
>>

> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
> photo equipment?
>
> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

/Need/ is not often the primary requirement for reasoning that we should
procure an object. However, /want/ often overrides /need/ and becomes
the primary reason why we procure an object. We often want objects we
can't afford and then rationalize for settling for less. But make no
mistake, /want/ is a very important emotional procurement driver.

David Dyer-Bennet 11-07-2012 10:41 PM

Polly the Parrott <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> writes:

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
> mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:
>
>>Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

> DX sensor.
>
> Isn't FX the way to go?

Depends, a lot. For the vast majority of amateur photographers I think
FX is not a good investment in price/performance. If your hobby funding
is such that you don't have to consider price/performance much, that
might be another thing. I'm also talking about somebody making the
choice *now*, having no large existing investment in serious photo gear.

(Professionals I'll leave out of it. If you're making a living or a
significant chunk of it from your photos, you presumably know what you
need better than I do....)

I was sucked back over to FX by the Nikon D700, which gave me a
stupendous boost in low-light peformance over my previous D200. Since a
lot of what I do is event photos in low-light conditions (late-night
music parties and jam sessions and such), that was irresistable to me.
Being able to shoot casually at ISO 3200 was really a big deal for me
(and using higher ISOs when really necessary). However, this ruined
both the wide and the long part of my lens collection, and it cost me
about $2000 to fix those with second-tier lenses. And then I found
myself dissatisffied with my old 28-70/2.8 Tokina, and it cost me another
$1600 to fix that. (Those numbers would be MUCH higher now.)

For anything other than low light performance, I'd be better off still
in DX or M43 (I've got an EPL-2 as my "small" camera). And would have
considerably more money in my account (or else some other photo toys).

But *today*, even for what I do, I can live without the very best
low-light performance available (and that D4 is kinda expensive for a
toy). Going into what *I* do from scratch today, an OM-D and some fast
primes might give me as good pictures a lot cheaper.

I'm not totally sold on it having the tracking AF for roller derby
though, another thing I've taken up shooting along the way; I shoot
nearly all of that at ISO 3200 or 6400, which is pushing the OM-D some.
The D700 was a remarkable product, giving me the full high ISO
capability of the D3 AND the full autofocus. It's a huge cut above the
consumer products. Unfortunately it has no successor, and is now
discontinued; hard to say what to buy these days for my requirements.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

PeterN 11-07-2012 11:46 PM

On 11/7/2012 4:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-07 13:26:44 -0800, PeterN <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> said:
>
>> On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Only for those who truly need it.
>>>

>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
>> photo equipment?
>>
>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

> Exactly!
> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
>
> ...but some day I would love to have one.

I know what you mean.

--
Peter

PeterN 11-07-2012 11:54 PM

On 11/7/2012 5:23 PM, nick c wrote:
> On 11/7/2012 1:26 PM, PeterN wrote:
>> On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Only for those who truly need it.
>>>

>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
>> photo equipment?
>>
>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.
>>

> /Need/ is not often the primary requirement for reasoning that we should
> procure an object. However, /want/ often overrides /need/ and becomes
> the primary reason why we procure an object. We often want objects we
> can't afford and then rationalize for settling for less. But make no
> mistake, /want/ is a very important emotional procurement driver.

Yep!
Fulfilling a "want" has caused the downfall of many political careers,
and probably millions of marriages.

--
Peter

PeterN 11-09-2012 12:08 AM

On 11/8/2012 5:18 PM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
>>> photo equipment?
>>>
>>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
>>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

>> Exactly!
>> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
>> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
>> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
>> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
>> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
>> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
>> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
>>
>> ...but some day I would love to have one.

> Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
> But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
> in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
> don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
> ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
> things.

Very true.
A Trophy wife certainly contributed to the diminishment of Corel.

--
Peter

tony cooper 11-09-2012 03:25 AM

Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor, 39-point AF, wireless port

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:18:16 -0600, Chemiker
<prussianblue28@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
>>> photo equipment?
>>>
>>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
>>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

>>Exactly!
>>I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
>>and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
>>lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
>>some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
>>than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
>>can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
>>some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
>>
>>...but some day I would love to have one.

>Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
>But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
>in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
>don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
>ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
>things.

I would prefer the presence of a well-made exotic woman, but my wife
has some reservations about that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 11-09-2012 03:26 AM

Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor, 39-point AF, wireless port

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:08:10 -0500, PeterN
<peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>On 11/8/2012 5:18 PM, Chemiker wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Exactly!
>>> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
>>> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
>>> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
>>> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
>>> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
>>> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
>>> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
>>>
>>> ...but some day I would love to have one.

>> Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
>> But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
>> in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
>> don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
>> ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
>> things.
>>

>Very true.
>A Trophy wife certainly contributed to the diminishment of Corel.

I know a guy who has a trophy wife, but it's a Best in Show trophy.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida