Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: SI, what's happening? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954290-re-si-whats-happening.html)

Joe Makowiec 11-07-2012 04:25 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 06 Nov 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> Sorry, I've been busy working on a book deal,

Good luck!

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

PeterN 11-07-2012 09:28 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 11/7/2012 3:06 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:XnsA10474288BC50makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.2 44.100...
>> On 06 Nov 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I've been busy working on a book deal,

>> Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Joe Makowiec

> Thanks, Joe, it's the first time I've been involved in a publication of this
> magnitude, so I'm learning a lot.
>
> Fortunately, a backer is picking up the tab for an initial run of 10,000
> copies, so there isn't much financial risk to the deal, and I'm co-authoring
> it with a well-known author, so the project has somebody to keep it on
> track.
>
> All I have to do is transcribe interviews and write.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

It's not that easy to write.
Best of luck with your project.

--
Peter

PeterN 11-07-2012 10:03 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 11/7/2012 4:45 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> On 11/7/12 2:06 PM, in article
>> 2rSdnSQiS9jwIgfNnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@giganews.com, "Dudley Hanks"
>> <dhanks@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:XnsA10474288BC50makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.2 44.100...

>>> Thanks, Joe, it's the first time I've been involved in a publication of
>>> this
>>> magnitude, so I'm learning a lot.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, a backer is picking up the tab for an initial run of 10,000
>>> copies, so there isn't much financial risk to the deal, and I'm
>>> co-authoring
>>> it with a well-known author, so the project has somebody to keep it on
>>> track.
>>>
>>> All I have to do is transcribe interviews and write.
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> Let us know when it's published, OK?
>>

> Shall do, George, but, unless you're a die-hard hockey fan, it probably
> won't be on your must read list.... :)

The hockey players I knew, they were members of my club, were a good,
fun loving group. After the Rangers won the Stanley cup, Glenn Healy
strapped the cup to a golf cart and drove it all over the course. There
was no such thing as going with them for "one" drink, unless you were
planning on getting home very late.

--
Peter

PeterN 11-07-2012 11:36 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 11/7/2012 4:56 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> "PeterN" <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On 11/7/2012 3:06 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:XnsA10474288BC50makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.2 44.100...

>>> Thanks, Joe, it's the first time I've been involved in a publication of
>>> this
>>> magnitude, so I'm learning a lot.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, a backer is picking up the tab for an initial run of 10,000
>>> copies, so there isn't much financial risk to the deal, and I'm
>>> co-authoring
>>> it with a well-known author, so the project has somebody to keep it on
>>> track.
>>>
>>> All I have to do is transcribe interviews and write.
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> It's not that easy to write.
>> Best of luck with your project.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> Thanks, Peter, I'm a late addition to the team, so a lot of work has already
> been done on the project.
>
> The main author has put together a skeleton of how everything should be
> presented, and he's done some rough drafts of a few of the chapters, so it's
> not like I'm starting from scratch.
>
> Unfortunately, he's finding himself a bit time-constrained, so that's where
> I come in.

It's difficult to edit your own manuscripts. Most successful authors
have another do the work you are being asked to do. On a different
level, at times I find it difficult to be critical of my own photos.
Some can do it easily, but I need to put them aside for a day or two,
and then look at them as if they were not mine.

--
Peter

Robert Coe 11-08-2012 09:02 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:11:39 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks@blind-apertures.ca>
wrote:
:
: "PeterN" <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
: news:509adaa5$0$15659$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com...
: > On 11/7/2012 4:45 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
: >> "George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: >> news:CCC02389.92BC2%ghost_topper@hotmail.com...
: >>>
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> On 11/7/12 2:06 PM, in article
: >>> 2rSdnSQiS9jwIgfNnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@giganews.com, "Dudley Hanks"
: >>> <dhanks@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
: >>>
: >>>>
: >>>> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
: >>>> news:XnsA10474288BC50makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.2 44.100...
: >>>>> On 06 Nov 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:
: >>>>>
: >>>>>> Sorry, I've been busy working on a book deal,
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Good luck!
: >>>>>
: >>>>> --
: >>>>> Joe Makowiec
: >>>>
[...]
: >>
: >> Shall do, George, but, unless you're a die-hard hockey fan, it probably
: >> won't be on your must read list.... :)
: >>
: >
: > The hockey players I knew, they were members of my club, were a good, fun
: > loving group. After the Rangers won the Stanley cup, Glenn Healy strapped
: > the cup to a golf cart and drove it all over the course. There was no such
: > thing as going with them for "one" drink, unless you were planning on
: > getting home very late.
: >
: >
: > --
: > Peter
:
: I've always been a fan of the game, but have never known any of the players.
: Of course, some of the exploits of the Oilers back in the glory years are
: legendary, like when Messier took the cup for a jaunt and it ended up in
: several strip joints and on the bottom of a swimming pool.

When the Bruins won the cup a couple of years ago, it sparked a number of
articles in the Boston media about its origin, history, etc. It seems that the
league decided sometime ago that it was too dangerous to let the players haul
the real cup around to strip clubs and swimming pools, so they had at least
two replicas made up for the purpose. So now part of the lore is an analysis
of the differences among the inscriptions on the various cups and why they
differ.

Bob

PeterN 11-09-2012 12:12 AM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 11/8/2012 4:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
> : > --
> : > Peter
> :
> : I've always been a fan of the game, but have never known any of the players.
> : Of course, some of the exploits of the Oilers back in the glory years are
> : legendary, like when Messier took the cup for a jaunt and it ended up in
> : several strip joints and on the bottom of a swimming pool.
>
> When the Bruins won the cup a couple of years ago, it sparked a number of
> articles in the Boston media about its origin, history, etc. It seems that the
> league decided sometime ago that it was too dangerous to let the players haul
> the real cup around to strip clubs and swimming pools, so they had at least
> two replicas made up for the purpose. So now part of the lore is an analysis
> of the differences among the inscriptions on the various cups and why they

I wasn't aware of that. I guess the NYC police weren't either. They gave
him a motorcycle escort to the Nassau County line, so NYC wouldn't get a
bad rap if something happened to the cup.

BTW What you say makes eminent sense.

--
Peter

Robert Coe 11-09-2012 01:31 AM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:12:01 -0500, PeterN <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
: On 11/8/2012 4:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:11:39 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks@blind-apertures.ca>
: > wrote:
: > :
: > : "PeterN" <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
: > : news:509adaa5$0$15659$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com...
: > : > On 11/7/2012 4:45 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
: > : >> "George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: > : >> news:CCC02389.92BC2%ghost_topper@hotmail.com...
: > : >>>
: > : >>>
: > : >>>
: > : >>> On 11/7/12 2:06 PM, in article
: > : >>> 2rSdnSQiS9jwIgfNnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@giganews.com, "Dudley Hanks"
: > : >>> <dhanks@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
: > : >>>
: > : >>>>
: > : >>>> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
: > : >>>> news:XnsA10474288BC50makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.2 44.100...
: > : >>>>> On 06 Nov 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:
: > : >>>>>
: > : >>>>>> Sorry, I've been busy working on a book deal,
: > : >>>>>
: > : >>>>> Good luck!
: > : >>>>>
: > : >>>>> --
: > : >>>>> Joe Makowiec
: > : >>>>
[...]
: > : >>
: > : >> Shall do, George, but, unless you're a die-hard hockey fan, it probably
: > : >> won't be on your must read list.... :)
: > : >>
: > : >
: > : > The hockey players I knew, they were members of my club, were a good, fun
: > : > loving group. After the Rangers won the Stanley cup, Glenn Healy strapped
: > : > the cup to a golf cart and drove it all over the course. There was no such
: > : > thing as going with them for "one" drink, unless you were planning on
: > : > getting home very late.
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > Peter
: > :
[...]

More detail:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...e_and_only_cup

Bob

PeterN 11-09-2012 01:43 AM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On 11/8/2012 8:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
> : > When the Bruins won the cup a couple of years ago, it sparked a number of
> : > articles in the Boston media about its origin, history, etc. It seems that the
> : > league decided sometime ago that it was too dangerous to let the players haul
> : > the real cup around to strip clubs and swimming pools, so they had at least
> : > two replicas made up for the purpose. So now part of the lore is an analysis
> : > of the differences among the inscriptions on the various cups and why they
> : > differ.
> : >
> : > Bob
> : >
> :
> : I wasn't aware of that. I guess the NYC police weren't either. They gave
> : him a motorcycle escort to the Nassau County line, so NYC wouldn't get a
> : bad rap if something happened to the cup.

Could not read your link. but, as I said, I was surprised, not doubting.

--
Peter

Robert Coe 11-09-2012 01:54 PM

Re: SI, what's happening?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 20:43:20 -0500, PeterN <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
: On 11/8/2012 8:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > More detail:
: > http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...e_and_only_cup
: >
: > Bob
: >
:
: Could not read your link. but, as I said, I was surprised, not doubting.

Maybe it got truncated. (It does work for me.) Here it is again with no long
lines, but with manual reassembly required:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...t_goes_around_
with_the_players_or_is_that_the_one_and_only_cup

There may be even more detail available somewhere. My recollection is that the
article in the Boston Globe had more.

Bob