Velocity Reviews

-   -   Interesting OT follow up to pigeon camera (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954270-interesting-ot-follow-up-to-pigeon-camera.html)

philo  11-07-2012 05:24 AM

Interesting OT follow up to pigeon camera

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...est=latestnews
--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

philo  11-07-2012 11:40 AM

Re: Interesting OT follow up to pigeon camera

On 11/07/2012 02:16 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 21:51:29 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-11-06 21:24:20 -0800, philo <"philo "@privacy.net> said:
>>
>>> http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...est=latestnews

>> Yup!
>>>

>> There are still interesting WWII stories out there. However, to keep
>> the code, or the message secret after 68 years is a little bit silly.
>> Especially since it probably relates to troop movements on June 6,
>> 1944, and that is history now.
>>
>> ...unless the message was an embarrassing request for a tea delivery
>> and the break which would inevitably accompany such a delivery. ;-)

> There is quite a bit which is still classified ranging from the file
> on Heinrich Himmler's death and Rudolf Hess's flight to Scotland, to
> the records of the 67th Chemical Warfare Company, Royal Engineers, for
> June 1940 to 1942, all of which have been sealed for 100 years. I'm
> sure there is a lot more.

I'd think even the most sensitive of papers could be made public after
50 years

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Martin Brown 11-07-2012 12:56 PM

On 07/11/2012 05:51, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-06 21:24:20 -0800, philo <"philo "@privacy.net> said:
>
>> http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...est=latestnews

> Yup!
>>

> There are still interesting WWII stories out there. However, to keep the
> code, or the message secret after 68 years is a little bit silly.

Not necessarily. Some of the Bletchley code breakers tricks are
classified for very good reasons. Namely that they still work today.

It is only recently that general purpose computers have reached the same
computational power for codebreaking as Turings finest machines. Despite
being mechanical, Heath Robinson and somewhat temperamental they were
incredibly good at what they did.

> Especially since it probably relates to troop movements on June 6, 1944,
> and that is history now.

It could still be interesting to know what it said. If a decoding pad
can be found - they may not tell us if they can read it though.

Some stuff from WWII is embargoed for a century.

> ...unless the message was an embarrassing request for a tea delivery and
> the break which would inevitably accompany such a delivery. ;-)

I don't think they would bother to encypher mundane traffic.

Could be a challenge to decode it today if as seems likely it was a one
time pad used to encode it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Robert Coe 11-07-2012 02:54 PM

Re: Interesting OT follow up to pigeon camera

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 12:56:54 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: On 07/11/2012 05:51, Savageduck wrote:
: > On 2012-11-06 21:24:20 -0800, philo <"philo "@privacy.net> said:
: >
: >> http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...est=latestnews
: >
: > Yup!
: >>
:
[...]

They might. The reasoning would be that if a message fell into the hands of
the enemy, you want them to have to work just as hard to try to decrypt the
chaff as the good stuff. You'd have to feel that your encryption was pretty
good, though, since you're giving the enemy a larger sample size to work with.

: Could be a challenge to decode it today if as seems likely it was a one
: time pad used to encode it.

I don't think it would be much of a challenge for a properly equipped
professional cryptographer. Keys were shorter then, because the amount of
computing power you could bring to bear on encryption and decryption was much
smaller than it is today.

Bob

PeterN 11-07-2012 03:49 PM

On 11/7/2012 7:56 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 05:51, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-11-06 21:24:20 -0800, philo <"philo "@privacy.net> said:
>>
>>> http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...est=latestnews
>>>

>> Yup!
>>>

>> There are still interesting WWII stories out there. However, to keep the
>> code, or the message secret after 68 years is a little bit silly.

> Not necessarily. Some of the Bletchley code breakers tricks are
> classified for very good reasons. Namely that they still work today.
>
> It is only recently that general purpose computers have reached the same
> computational power for codebreaking as Turings finest machines. Despite
> being mechanical, Heath Robinson and somewhat temperamental they were
> incredibly good at what they did.
>
>> Especially since it probably relates to troop movements on June 6, 1944,
>> and that is history now.

> It could still be interesting to know what it said. If a decoding pad
> can be found - they may not tell us if they can read it though.
>
> Some stuff from WWII is embargoed for a century.
>
>> ...unless the message was an embarrassing request for a tea delivery and
>> the break which would inevitably accompany such a delivery. ;-)
>>

> I don't think they would bother to encypher mundane traffic.

Were you ever in any branch of the armed forces? :-)

I our MP battalion had a two sets of Jeeps, with identical numbers
painted on the vehicles.
One was used for training, and the other for inspections.

--
Peter