Velocity Reviews

-   -   C++11 ready for prime time ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954250-c-11-ready-for-prime-time.html)

programmist.setevik@gmail.com 11-06-2012 01:41 PM

C++11 ready for prime time ?

Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important project. Both for syntactic sugar like "auto", the new "for" syntax and more advanced stuff like lambdas.

Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue. Will hand code multi-threading using pthreads - not using any of the language features for it.

So what do you think - is she ready for it or not ?

I am huge fan of Eclipse CDT (up to Juno now) - does it support C++11 extensions in editor etc ?

What about gdb - any gotchas there ? Valgrind ? One reckons they should not be an issue, but JIC.

All and any advice most appreciated .

Victor Bazarov 11-06-2012 02:14 PM

Re: C++11 ready for prime time ?

On 11/6/2012 8:41 AM, programmist.setevik@gmail.com wrote:
> Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important project. [..]
>
> Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue. [..]
>
> So what do you think - is she ready for it or not ? [..]

C++ has been used for "largish" and important projects for quite some
time now. It's been "ready for it" since inception. It was *created*
"ready for it". I think the main question you need to ask is, are *you*
ready for it?

Till Junge 11-06-2012 03:09 PM

Re: C++11 ready for prime time ?

On 11/06/2012 03:14 PM, Victor Bazarov wrote:
> On 11/6/2012 8:41 AM, programmist.setevik@gmail.com wrote:
>> Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important
>> project. [..]
>>
>> Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue. [..]
>>
>> So what do you think - is she ready for it or not ? [..]

> C++ has been used for "largish" and important projects for quite some
> time now. It's been "ready for it" since inception. It was *created*
> "ready for it". I think the main question you need to ask is, are *you*
> ready for it?

V, I think he setevik was asking about the 11 part of c++11

setevik,

as long as your fine with how much of the new standard has been
implemented in gcc 4.7.2 you're good to go (check
http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport). gdb and
valgrind are not a problem at all.

I don't have any idea about eclipse, though.

Till

programmist.setevik@gmail.com 11-06-2012 06:22 PM

Re: C++11 ready for prime time ?

V,

the thickly laid sarcasm, devoid of any valuable info, along with "ernichestvo", are our national Russian traits we should really try hard to get rid of. They don't help anyone any.

Till, appreciate your feedback. I will let the group know how she goes.

Jorgen Grahn 11-06-2012 06:39 PM

Re: C++11 ready for prime time ?

On Tue, 2012-11-06, programmist.setevik@gmail.com wrote:
> Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important project.
>
> Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue.

I guess you mean "cross-platform". It can still be an issue depending
on exactly what you want to do -- not everyone has a bleeding-edge GCC
and C++ standard library installed. For example Debian Stable is
still on 4.4.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Bader Senussi Z 11-10-2012 05:57 PM

Re: C++11 ready for prime time ?

I'd say C++11 is ready for 'important' projects.
The next release of Qt (version 5) will be using
C++11. Although a bit of modding will be required
to use it in Eclipse. Follow the link for details:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index....282618/787571/