Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954040-whats-a-good-linux-freeware-program-to-view-add-delete-exif-data.html)

Danny D. 10-30-2012 10:38 AM

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).

The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
(I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
Maps with a single button click).

Googling, I find these two command-line programs:
1. exiv2 - Image metadata manipulation tool
2. exiftool - Read and write meta information in files

And, I find these web-based GUIs:
1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi)
2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...on/exif-viewer

Testing the command-line tools, I found:
$ exiv2 photo.jpg (did not report any GPS information)
$ exiftool photo.jpg (did report GPS position information)

Testing the web-based GUIs, I found both did as desired:
1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (did show the location on a map)
2. Firefox addon Exif-Viewer (did show the location on a map)

So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
the location it was snapped?

Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Mayayana 10-30-2012 01:37 PM

Re: What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

| The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
| (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
| Maps with a single button click).

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but IrfanView
works fine under WINE, if you care to install that.

Ivan V. Klattrup 10-30-2012 02:11 PM

Danny D. wrote:

>Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
>information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?

something like gpscorrelate
http://freefoote.dview.net/linux/corrdoc/gui.html

I don't know what distribution you use, but in Lubuntu it's in the
softwarecenter

--
Ivan V. Klattrup
http://klattrup.dk

Craig 10-30-2012 02:50 PM

On 10/30/2012 06:37 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> | The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
> | (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
> | Maps with a single button click).
>
> This isn't exactly what you're asking, but IrfanView
> works fine under WINE, if you care to install that.

Can't vouch for completeness/accuracy but there's a listing at Wikipedia
which may make for a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tadata_editors

hth,
--
-Craig

Mike Easter 10-30-2012 03:25 PM

Danny D. wrote:

> Irfanview

Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?

A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can
use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows
Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version
of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder
to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional
Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q57

--
Mike Easter

nospam 10-30-2012 04:53 PM

Re: What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

In article <k6oans$88p$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Danny D.
<dannyxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
else pales in comparison.

<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

DanP 10-30-2012 06:57 PM

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:38:57 AM UTC, Danny D. wrote:
> What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?
>

> Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
>
> Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).
>

> The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
>
> (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
>
> Maps with a single button click).
>

> Googling, I find these two command-line programs:
>
> 1. exiv2 - Image metadata manipulation tool
>
> 2. exiftool - Read and write meta information in files
>

> And, I find these web-based GUIs:
>
> 1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi)
>
> 2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...on/exif-viewer
>

> Testing the command-line tools, I found:
>
> $ exiv2 photo.jpg (did not report any GPS information)
>
> $ exiftool photo.jpg (did report GPS position information)
>

> Testing the web-based GUIs, I found both did as desired:
>
> 1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (did show the location on a map)
>
> 2. Firefox addon Exif-Viewer (did show the location on a map)
>

> So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
>
> standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
>
> digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
>
> the location it was snapped?
>

> Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
>
> information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?
>

> Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

DigiKam.
Does pretty much everything and comes in a massive size.
Shows photo location on Google maps and it has a plugin to edit EXIF data (Metadata).
Only bad point is missing layers.

DanP

Zak Hipp 10-31-2012 01:35 AM

On 30/10/2012 16:53, nospam wrote:
> In article <k6oans$88p$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Danny D.
> <dannyxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

> look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
> else pales in comparison.
>
> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

Looks like a thread terminator to me. I'll see if I can get along with it.

Thank you.

Zak Hipp

Sandman 10-31-2012 06:42 AM

Re: What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

In article <301020120953028271%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <k6oans$88p$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Danny D.
> <dannyxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

> look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
> else pales in comparison.
>
> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

+1

No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

--
Sandman[.net]

nospam 10-31-2012 08:26 AM

Re: What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

In article <mr-062F2A.07424031102012@News.Individual.NET>, Sandman
<mr@sandman.net> wrote:

> No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

he's a linux user. he won't notice.