Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Immutability and Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t954020-re-immutability-and-python.html)

Terry Reedy 10-29-2012 05:48 PM

Re: Immutability and Python

On 10/29/2012 11:20 AM, andrea crotti wrote:
> I have a philosofical doubt about immutability, that arised while doing
> the SCALA functional programming course.

In real life, the physical world, things have mutable state, at least
down to the atomic level. Do you only want to model mathematical worlds,
or also physical worlds.

Even mathematically, I do not think there necessarily a problem with
mutable collections. The fact that sets are defined by content does not
mean that everything has to be.

--
Terry Jan Reedy