Velocity Reviews

-   -   Private Tomcat/JVM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953974-private-tomcat-jvm.html)

sb5309 10-28-2012 02:37 AM

Private Tomcat/JVM

I am looking for a java web host so that I can write java programs that listens to a certain port.

I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).

I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?

Thanks (sorry if this question is childish).

Daniele Futtorovic 10-28-2012 02:11 PM

Re: Private Tomcat/JVM

On 28/10/2012 03:37, sb5309 allegedly wrote:
> I am looking for a java web host so that I can write java programs that listens to a certain port.
>
> I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).
>
> I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?

Firstly, mind that the word "private" makes no sense in this
combination, and that Tomcat sits atop a JVM.

In a nutshell, Tomcat is a /Servlet Engine/, providing you with a
framework to perform web-related operations. It is but one of a couple
similar frameworks, cf. for instance <http://www.servlets.com/engines/>.

If you are planning to do web/HTTP related operations, and especially if
your server is going to perform more than one very limited function, I
would recommend that you use a Servlet Engine, because it's going to
make your life much easier (and is valuable knowledge).

If you plan just on having a poor socket listening for one low-level
network operation -- say, Java RMI --, going with just the JVM /might/
be more economical.

--
DF.

Jeff Higgins 10-28-2012 04:00 PM

Re: Private Tomcat/JVM

On 10/27/2012 10:37 PM, sb5309 wrote:
> I am looking for a java web host so that I can write java programs that listens to a certain port.
>
> I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).
>
> I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?
>
> Thanks (sorry if this question is childish).

You might be asking about the type of environments and services
an "Internet hosting service" provides, hard to tell.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_hosting_service>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting_service>