Velocity Reviews

-   -   Smart DeBlur (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953938-smart-deblur.html)

philo 10-26-2012 09:00 PM

Smart DeBlur

free download

https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur/downloads

Martin Brown 10-27-2012 12:55 PM

Re: Smart DeBlur

On 26/10/2012 22:50, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012.10.26 17:00 , philo wrote:
>> free download
>>
>> https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur/downloads

> Remarkable - good to get usable out of crap, but useless for a good
> quality photo. See:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-results.html

You can do better than that with the right algorithm.

But it isn't new though. The technique has been available since the
early 1980's on sufficiently powerful computers. What has changed is
that domestic PCs are now better than supercomputers of yesteryear.

http://www.maxent.co.uk/example_1.htm

Is an example of car number plate deblurring from 1980.

Also appeared in the Times about the same time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

philo 10-29-2012 11:05 AM

Re: Smart DeBlur

On 10/27/2012 07:55 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 26/10/2012 22:50, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2012.10.26 17:00 , philo wrote:
>>> free download
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur/downloads

>> Remarkable - good to get usable out of crap, but useless for a good
>> quality photo. See:
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-results.html
>>

> You can do better than that with the right algorithm.
>
> But it isn't new though. The technique has been available since the
> early 1980's on sufficiently powerful computers. What has changed is
> that domestic PCs are now better than supercomputers of yesteryear.
>
> http://www.maxent.co.uk/example_1.htm
>
> Is an example of car number plate deblurring from 1980.
>
> Also appeared in the Times about the same time.

I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
any decent results but will keep trying.

About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
will be no opportunity for a second chance.

Martin Brown 10-29-2012 02:45 PM

Re: Smart DeBlur

On 29/10/2012 11:05, philo wrote:
> On 10/27/2012 07:55 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> Remarkable - good to get usable out of crap, but useless for a good
>>> quality photo. See:
>>>
>>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-results.html
>>>

>> You can do better than that with the right algorithm.
>>
>> But it isn't new though. The technique has been available since the
>> early 1980's on sufficiently powerful computers. What has changed is
>> that domestic PCs are now better than supercomputers of yesteryear.
>>
>> http://www.maxent.co.uk/example_1.htm
>>
>> Is an example of car number plate deblurring from 1980.
>>
>> Also appeared in the Times about the same time.

> I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
> so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
> any decent results but will keep trying.

Such algorithms are typically 50-200x slower than unsharp masking.

> About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
> were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
> will be no opportunity for a second chance.

Look for a specular highlight near the subject you want to get in focus
and isolate that as the trial point spread function. Also work on the
smallest image you can get away with to practice eg 128x128.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

philo 10-29-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Smart DeBlur

On 10/29/2012 09:45 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 29/10/2012 11:05, philo wrote:

>> I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
>> so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
>> any decent results but will keep trying.

> Such algorithms are typically 50-200x slower than unsharp masking.
>
>> About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
>> were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
>> will be no opportunity for a second chance.

> Look for a specular highlight near the subject you want to get in focus
> and isolate that as the trial point spread function. Also work on the
> smallest image you can get away with to practice eg 128x128.

OK will do

Bruce 10-29-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Smart DeBlur

philo <" philo"@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 10/29/2012 09:45 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
>>> so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
>>> any decent results but will keep trying.

>> Such algorithms are typically 50-200x slower than unsharp masking.
>>
>>> About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
>>> were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
>>> will be no opportunity for a second chance.

>> Look for a specular highlight near the subject you want to get in focus
>> and isolate that as the trial point spread function. Also work on the
>> smallest image you can get away with to practice eg 128x128.
>>

>OK will do

Perhaps it would have been better if philo had tested this software
*before* recommending it on here?

Gordon Freeman 10-30-2012 01:47 AM

Re: Smart DeBlur

Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26/10/2012 22:50, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2012.10.26 17:00 , philo wrote:
>>> free download
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur/downloads

>> Remarkable - good to get usable out of crap, but useless for a good
>> quality photo. See:
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...6/SmartDeblur-

Download-app-blurs-fuzzy-images-amazing-results.html

> You can do better than that with the right algorithm.
>
> But it isn't new though.

A few years ago I tried out a deconvolution program, Unshake, which
sharpens not only out of focus stuff but other also undoes various types of
camera shake and motion blur. You can still get it at
http://www.zen147963.zen.co.uk/
which also has articles explaining the principles very well.

10-31-2012 03:48 AM

Re: Smart DeBlur

philo <" philo"@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 10/29/2012 09:45 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
>>> so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
>>> any decent results but will keep trying.

>> Such algorithms are typically 50-200x slower than unsharp masking.
>>
>>> About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
>>> were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
>>> will be no opportunity for a second chance.

>> Look for a specular highlight near the subject you want to get in focus
>> and isolate that as the trial point spread function. Also work on the
>> smallest image you can get away with to practice eg 128x128.
>>

> OK will do

Any apps that will do the same on an iPhone?

PeterN 11-01-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Smart DeBlur

On 10/29/2012 10:45 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 29/10/2012 11:05, philo wrote:

>>> You can do better than that with the right algorithm.
>>>
>>> But it isn't new though. The technique has been available since the
>>> early 1980's on sufficiently powerful computers. What has changed is
>>> that domestic PCs are now better than supercomputers of yesteryear.
>>>
>>> http://www.maxent.co.uk/example_1.htm
>>>
>>> Is an example of car number plate deblurring from 1980.
>>>
>>> Also appeared in the Times about the same time.

>> I have been playing with Smart DeBlur and found it very CPU intensive
>> so it makes experimenting with it a bit slow. So far I have not gotten
>> any decent results but will keep trying.

> Such algorithms are typically 50-200x slower than unsharp masking.
>
>> About five years ago I got a few shots of Les Paul at the Iridium that
>> were a bit blurred due to slow shutter speed /low light. Obviously there
>> will be no opportunity for a second chance.

> Look for a specular highlight near the subject you want to get in focus
> and isolate that as the trial point spread function. Also work on the
> smallest image you can get away with to practice eg 128x128.

I found that if you set feathering high, it runs faster. As soon as I
get power back I would try getting the best image possible with
feathering at factory level. Then, as a second step reduce feathering to
zero.

--
Peter