Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lost emails (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953641-lost-emails.html)

Geopelia 10-19-2012 09:39 PM

Lost emails

Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?

Two sent to me didn't arrive.
The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
He did exactly what he always does.

I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?

XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

Enkidu 10-19-2012 10:34 PM

Re: Lost emails

On 20/10/12 10:39, Geopelia wrote:

> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
>
> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
> He did exactly what he always does.
>
> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
>
> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

Geo, there are no guarantees with email. If something is important you
either should not send it by email or make sure that it is received by
phoning or something. We are so used to it just working that we are
surprised when it doesn't, but really, it's just like paper mail - it
can get lost.

I suspect Yahoo/Xtra though.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe 10-20-2012 12:13 AM

Re: Lost emails

In article <k5shai$bqf$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
says...

> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
>
> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
> He did exactly what he always does.
>
> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
>
> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.

So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
has been delivered.

So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

--
Duncan.

Richard 10-20-2012 02:29 AM

Re: Lost emails

On 10/20/2012 1:13 PM, Dave Doe wrote:
>> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?

xtra's email is yahoo, who generally are the problem.

>> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.

In an ideal world that will happen, but as spammers use those bounces to
deliver spam, most mail servers now are configured by someone smart
enough to not bounce messages that fail SPF.

> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
> has been delivered.
>
> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

Its a possibility its in the xtra inaccessable other than webmail spam
folder that 90% of their customers have no idea about, other than that
it just never made it. Like SMS, email is a best effort service with no
easy ability to track what happened since mail servers will usually not
log a whole lot since it would just generate gigs and gigs a day of logs
of spam being discarded by the filter.

Enkidu 10-20-2012 02:54 AM

Re: Lost emails

On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <k5shai$bqf$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
> says...
>>
>> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
>>
>> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
>> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
>> He did exactly what he always does.
>>
>> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
>>
>> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
>
> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
> has been delivered.
>
> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
was business emails.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon 10-20-2012 03:55 AM

Re: Lost emails

On 2012-10-20, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
> On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
>>
>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
>>
>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
>> has been delivered.
>>
>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
>>

> Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
> may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
> mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
> was business emails.

Tell us, apart from the content, what seperates business emails from
persoanl ones, or spam for that matter.

Gordon 10-20-2012 04:01 AM

Re: Lost emails

On 2012-10-19, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
> On 20/10/12 10:39, Geopelia wrote:
> >
>> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
>>
>> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
>> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
>> He did exactly what he always does.
>>
>> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
>>
>> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.
>>

> Geo, there are no guarantees with email. If something is important you
> either should not send it by email or make sure that it is received by
> phoning or something. We are so used to it just working that we are
> surprised when it doesn't, but really, it's just like paper mail - it
> can get lost.

There are some e-mails which I receive, which are not addressed to my e-mail
address. Some of them are from people I do not know, spammers excluded. I
ignore them all.

> I suspect Yahoo/Xtra though.

Good start. Increases the chances of a missed delivery.

Donchano 10-20-2012 04:51 AM

Re: Lost emails

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
<enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <k5shai$bqf$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>> says...
>>>
>>> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
>>>
>>> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
>>> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
>>> He did exactly what he always does.
>>>
>>> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
>>>
>>> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
>>
>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
>> has been delivered.
>>
>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
>>

>Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
>may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
>mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
>was business emails.

Before Xtra hooked up with Yahoo, I got a phone call from someone with
whom I was working on a project to ask why I hadn't responded to his
emails. In those days, Xtra totally refused to admit any mistakes and
spun a line about it being impossible for emails to be lost.

Later, when I had proof that emails had been lost, they gave me a
hefty credit on my account. Even so, they still refused to acknowledge
that losing emails was not only possible, but obviously a problem -
albeit a rare one.

When Xtra turned over responsibility for email to Yahoo, I experienced
so many problems that I've been subscribed to an independent email
provider ever since (fastmail.net).

Of course Xtra/Yahoo can lose emails.

Enkidu 10-20-2012 04:57 AM

Re: Lost emails

On 20/10/12 16:55, Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-10-20, Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> wrote:
>> On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
>>>
>>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
>>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
>>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
>>>
>>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
>>> has been delivered.
>>>
>>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
>>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
>>>

>> Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
>> may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
>> mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
>> was business emails.
>>

> Tell us, apart from the content, what seperates business emails from
> persoanl ones, or spam for that matter.

The minimum difference is that businesses have a number that they can
ring to get hold of someone who will care about the problem because that
is their role. While an individual may call the help desk, the help desk
person may try to help the person (and usually does), the help desk
person is not employed to care about it (though many do, so far as the
system lets them).

In addition a business may be provided with dedicated servers or
services and may be provided with logs. Also a higher level of backup of
the mail server may be provided for a business user.

This of course costs the business user big bucks.

Cheers,

Cliff

Geopelia 10-20-2012 06:06 AM

Re: Lost emails

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
> <enkidu@cliffp.com.cliffp.com> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article <k5shai$bqf$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>>> says...

>>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
>>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
>>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
>>>
>>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
>>> has been delivered.

They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

>>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
>>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

The spam comes on a page saying Yahoo. Is there another one for xtra? I
googled xtra junk mail

The emails aren't on the Yahoo one. Aren't Yahoo and xtra now the same
firm?

of dropping the email all by itself. It
>>may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
>>mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
>>was business emails.

These are private emails sent from a business address. (The sender owns the
business).

working on a project to ask why I hadn't responded to his
> emails. In those days, Xtra totally refused to admit any mistakes and
> spun a line about it being impossible for emails to be lost.
>
> Later, when I had proof that emails had been lost, they gave me a
> hefty credit on my account. Even so, they still refused to acknowledge
> that losing emails was not only possible, but obviously a problem -
> albeit a rare one.
>
> When Xtra turned over responsibility for email to Yahoo, I experienced
> so many problems that I've been subscribed to an independent email
> provider ever since (fastmail.net).
>
> Of course Xtra/Yahoo can lose emails.

It looks as though they are having a lot of problems. But I'm none the
wiser. He re-sent the emails, so I expect we will just do that when there
is a big gap.

I found this website
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...-email-service

Thanks to all
Geopelia

Sorry this is pink, the computer has gone mad.