Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with system restore/recover. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953630-problem-with-system-restore-recover.html)

R. Giggs. 10-19-2012 07:37 PM

Problem with system restore/recover.

OK basically, I tried a system restore or recover and now when I try
to boot up a get some error reading disc when I try to boot into windows.
I can boot up to an options menu but if I try to boot into window I get the
error reading disc.

Just a bit of background to this, I had clone my operatiing system onto a
bigger
hard drive and had been using that for a while, I created a thread here
about it
where I needed help do ing the clone.

"how fast are my hard drives?" 23 aug 2012

I am actualy back on the original drive now as the cloned drive will not
work!!

The drive was fine untill I tried to do a restore, perhaps aI should say why
I wanted to
do a restore, well when I booted up today I found my, windows setting had
been lost,
it was like I was new user, fairly empty desktop etc all my stuff missing
(although it is there
but not loaded), it just did not load my set up. It seemed to work find
apart from that, I could
surf the next but with basic settings, no history, bookmarks etc.

That is why I tried a system restore but it gave an error during that and
said the system was being shut down.
I have never been able to boot from that disk since (about anhour ago).

Hence I reconected my old drive, good job I had that to fall back on!!

Any how I think the problem may have been when the recovery partition was
cloned,
however prior to the cloning the restore always seemd to have a problem or
end in error
but I did get a working systemback somehow after rebooting after running it.

THe cloned drive is not connected atthe moment, it used to be a slave drive,
I will
try and reconect it as a slave drive and see if it still works as a clone.
Then I may be able to fix it some
how.

However I do not wantt to jump into doing anything, I am just content to
have a working system of
some sort at the moment!! THings do run slower ont eh old drive but that is
a minor problem.

I think I will try and recover the new files on the old drive if I can
connect it as slave.

Anyhow I will leave it fro now and report back later.

I thin the original problem may have been caused by some HP (hewelt packard)
software that somehow
installed it self (it a HP machine), I noticed there was someting new in the
startup

it was c:/hp/bin/PinToStart.bat

I have never had that checked to run at startup before so I am not sure why
it was
set to run?

Maybe it was set to run because of the origanl problem or maybe it cause it,
I don't know.

THis is what was in the file-

------------------------

REM 3. Pins the link to the START menu
REM 4. Checks to see if a link to this batch file
REM exists in DEFAULT user startup folder
REM and if not, copies it there
REM 5. Removes the link to this batch file from
REM the current user's startup folder
REM so the pinning won't continue
REM 5. Removes the link to this batch file from
REM the ALL USERS startup folder since its
REM only needed there on first customer
REM boot.
REM 6. Cleanup: Removes Run key entry and pin.bat file
REM
REM ************************************************** ************
REM ** NOTE: ON ANY FAILURE, REG RUN KEY ENTRY IS REMOVED **
REM ************************************************** ************
REM
REM ***********************************************
REM This batch file is dependent on the CUEcleanup
REM block, section BLOCK25

REM *************************************************
REM * GATE THIS ROUTINE... *
REM *************************************************
REM Gating this batch file on existence of Blocks\AllBlocks folders
REM Gating this batch file on existence of hpsysdrv.dat file.
REM If hpsysdrv.dat file exists, then we are at Desktop
REM for first time post OOBE...if not, don't do anything.
if exist c:\blocks\allblocks goto :ALLBLOCKS
if not exist c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.dat goto :EOF
REM ***********************************************

REM ...else, pin and continue...
call c:\hp\bin\hpcontxt.exe "c:\hp\bin\HP Image Zone.lnk" "pin"
if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25
echo Call to hpcontxt.exe executed... >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
echo Pinning worked as expected >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
echo ...beginning cleanup of pinning files.... >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"

REM ...THIS NEXT COMMAND FAILS ON SYSTEMS WITH
REM LOCALIZED STARTUP FOLDERS IN DEFAULT USER ACCOUNT
REM if not exist "c:\documents and settings\default user\start
menu\programs\startup\pin.lnk" xcopy "c:\hp\bin\pin.lnk" "c:\documents and
settings\default user\start menu\programs\startup" /y /i
REM ...USE THIS TO ACCESS THESE STARTUP FOLDERS AND COPY THE PIN.LNK FILE
c:\hp\bin\CopyToDef.js c:\hp\bin\pin.lnk
if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25c
echo ...verified copy Pin link in DEFAULT user Startup folder. >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
:NEXT25c

if exist "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Pin.lnk" erase /Q
"%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Pin.lnk"
if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25B
echo ...verified remove pin link from current user's startup folder. >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
:NEXT25b

if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\pin.lnk" erase /Q
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\pin.lnk"
if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25d
echo ...verified remove pin link from ALL USERS startup folder. >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
:NEXT25d

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
echo ...removed pininit from RUN key and removed pin.bat file. >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
echo ...PinToStart successfully executed ungated. >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
echo ================================================== ====== >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"

GOTO :EOF

REM ERROR TRAP
:BLOCKFAIL25
echo Call to hpcontxt.exe failed....>> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
echo Pin to Start routine aborted....>> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
GOTO :EOF
exit /b

:BLOCKFAIL25a
echo failed to delete current user RUN key entry for PinToStart >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
exit /b

:BLOCKFAIL25b
echo failed to erase Pin.lnk file from current user startup folder >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
goto :NEXT25b
exit /b

:BLOCKFAIL25c
echo failed to copy Pin.lnk file to DEFAULT user startup folder >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
goto :NEXT25c
exit /b

:BLOCKFAIL25d
echo failed to remove Pin.lnk file from ALLUSERS startup folder >>
"c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
goto :NEXT25d
exit /b

:ALLBLOCKS
echo ALLBLOCKS folder structure exists, pinning action gated. Abort pinning
function. >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
goto :EOF
------------------------------------

Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about how
to proceed!!!

R. Giggs. 10-19-2012 09:06 PM

Re: Problem with system restore/recover.

"R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> /f
> if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
> goto :NEXT25c
> exit /b
>
> :BLOCKFAIL25d
> echo failed to remove Pin.lnk file from ALLUSERS startup folder >>
> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
> reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit
> /f
> if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
> goto :NEXT25d
> exit /b
>
> :ALLBLOCKS
> echo ALLBLOCKS folder structure exists, pinning action gated. Abort
> pinning function. >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
> goto :EOF
> ------------------------------------
>

> Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about how

Well I think I will leave it untill tomorrow before Itry anything least not
because
if I try to reboot I expect that there will be a pile of updates to install
so that
could take a long time. I need to havea safe reboot after that to get to a
stable
state which I know works otherwise I not know what was the cause of any
probelms
as too many things have changed.

PC is running fne at the moment anyway, so I'm in no hurry.
I am just thinking though, if I load the other drive on as slave maybe
I can copy across the appropiate files or whatever. I;d like to have a go
now out of curiosity but I think its best to wait and have a safe reboot
with
the updates applied before proceeding.

R. Giggs. 10-19-2012 09:42 PM

> [...]
>>

>> Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about
>> how to proceed!!!
>>

> Well I think I will leave it untill tomorrow before Itry anything least
> not because
> if I try to reboot I expect that there will be a pile of updates to
> install so that
> could take a long time. I need to havea safe reboot after that to get to a
> stable
> state which I know works otherwise I not know what was the cause of any
> probelms
> as too many things have changed.
>
> PC is running fne at the moment anyway, so I'm in no hurry.
> I am just thinking though, if I load the other drive on as slave maybe
> I can copy across the appropiate files or whatever. I;d like to have a go
> now out of curiosity but I think its best to wait and have a safe reboot

I just had a though I could put the 'faulty' drive into a USB housing
a to have look at it without rebooting.

I could prehaps just connect it up ie stick the connect ot on, but
that sounds very dodggy!!!

Paul 10-19-2012 11:56 PM

R. Giggs. wrote:
> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>> OK basically, I tried a system restore or recover and now when I try
>>> to boot up a get some error reading disc when I try to boot into windows.
>>> I can boot up to an options menu but if I try to boot into window I get
>>> the error reading disc.

At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :-)

Don't be in too much of a rush.

First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.

Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
to a more stable point and then try something else.
Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.

The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.

But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
you'll be losing everything.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
the particular.

Current Worst Threshold Data Status
Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----

Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
how to run a test.

If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
with.

Paul

R. Giggs. 10-20-2012 12:41 AM

> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

> At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
> will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :-)
>
> Don't be in too much of a rush.

I have not actually tried anything yet other than the system restore, that
is all
I basically tried and I got that 'fix' from microsoft or whatever.

Eitherway a system restore should not have made teh drive unbootable really.

> First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
> newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
> And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
> is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
> to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
> of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
> a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
> working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
> controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.

OK as I said I have not tried anything other than the system restore, or
maybe
I took a risk with that but the PC was fine apart from not loading my
settings and as I said the ssystem restore should not have made the system
worse
should it, I mean that is the last thing it should do!!!

> Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
> your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
> is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
> option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
> if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
> to a more stable point and then try something else.
> Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.

Well I did ifact have a back-up, my previous system drive, maybe that
is why I 'dived in' with the system restore, I knew worse case I coud
always us the drive I am currently using.

> The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
> keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
> the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.

Again I am not 100% sure what I did, I may have done a system recovery
which is different from a system restore???

> But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
> drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
> I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
> where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
> get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
> and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
> you'll be losing everything.

Yes I kind of appreciate that although the chance of a drive error hitting

Anyhow what I plan on doing is powering down and putting
the problemm drive back on a slave ( it was originally a slave drive
to this drive).
Then I can have a look at the drive and see what kind of shape it is
in, oe are all the files there and do some sort of chkdsk or drive
check on it.

> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>
> That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
> two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
> if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
> the particular.
>
> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
> Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----

I actually have this (at least I thnk I have, I recognise the data listed)!!
You advised I got it before I think, however it is on the borken drive (lol)
at least I cant find it here, so I have downloaded it again.

> Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
> the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
> new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
> how to run a test.
>
> If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
> if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
> do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
> with.

Personally I do not think there is anything physically wrong with the
drive, not sure why but I just think te change of it hitting a critical area
before manifesting itself is extremely slim.

I think the are two unrelated problems, something changed some settings
perhaps and itmay have been a monor tweak to restore them.

The second problem the serious one is to do with the restore, as I have said
I have always had problem with the restore, even on this working drive,
what happens it it ends up blue screening and some error message such as
error at 0x83e837e or something. However when I reboot I can normally
boot up OK.
However I don't think I have ever done a reboot on the cloned drive. Indeed
I alway was a bit concerned about whether to recovery partition created
by the clone program would be OK.

I am also wondering whether I created a recover disk for the cloned drive.

I wil have a look.

R. Giggs. 10-20-2012 01:40 AM

Re: Problem with system restore/recover.

> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

> At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
> will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :-)
>
> Don't be in too much of a rush.
>
> First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
> newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
> And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
> is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
> to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
> of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
> a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
> working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
> controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
>
> Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
> your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
> is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
> option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
> if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
> to a more stable point and then try something else.
> Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
>
> The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
> keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
> the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
>
> But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
> drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
> I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
> where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
> get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
> and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
> you'll be losing everything.
>
> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>
> That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
> two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
> if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
> the particular.
>
> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
> Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
>
> Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
> the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
> new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
> how to run a test.
>
> If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
> if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
> do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
> with.
>
> Paul

I do agree however I should have gone for a softer solution first before
trying a restore.
Firstly all the users data on my pc is stored in folders in
c:/document_and_settings/
there are various users, ie my normal user hp_owner and all_users,
administrator,
default_user, guest and one I created called test.

Now I am unsure which user it gave me when I logged in but all the others
are basically minimal set-up, nothing on the desktop apart from about 10
links
ie internet explorer, adobe, AVG firefox, quick time and a few others.

Now I could have got my desktop back by copying hp_owners desktop into
the user folder I was in desktop folder, that would be hal the job done
probably.

I think if I had copied basically everything from the hp_owner folder to
mine
I would be pretty much back to where I wanted to be, although that is not a
realsolution.

I did look in the hp_owner folder/desktop and see all my files there so it
looked
like something fairly simple caused it to fail to load my configuration.

One other thing I noticed was an extra entry in the startup files which I
mentioned
in my first port, however that may have been created because of the failure
rather than be a cause of it.

One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a while,
soit may be a good time to get another.

Maybe this one
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent...85320-pdt.html

It is aout 100 more than I might have wanted to spend but it seems good
value for
money, and worth the extra money, money is not a problem, I just don't like
pay over the odds an best value is usually found on the lower specs but this
one put me on an an i7 machine, which is 'right up there' speedwise.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+3.40GHz
hasa cpu mark of 8427, my current PC is about 1000, so 8 times faster (in
theory)..

But anyhow I won't be doing anthing until tomorow as I don't want to reboot
now
rather do it when the shops are open lol. It might also want to install a
lot of updates
which would tie up my machine, although the updates queued for updating do
not see
very large.

This PC runs fine as as it is though, it justthe drive is slower so take a
bit longer
to boot up, but once it is booted you don't notice much difference.

R. Giggs. 10-20-2012 02:25 AM

Re: Problem with system restore/recover.

> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

> At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
> will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :-)
>
> Don't be in too much of a rush.
>
> First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
> newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
> And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
> is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
> to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
> of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
> a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
> working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
> controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
>
> Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
> your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
> is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
> option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
> if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
> to a more stable point and then try something else.
> Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
>
> The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
> keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
> the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
>
> But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
> drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
> I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
> where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
> get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
> and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
> you'll be losing everything.
>
> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>
> That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
> two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
> if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
> the particular.
>
> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
> Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
>
> Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
> the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
> new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
> how to run a test.
>
> If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
> if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
> do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
> with.
>
> Paul

Just one other thing, obviously the drive does work because it does
read the boot.ini file

Which has the following data in it as it was cloned from this drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

R. Giggs. 10-20-2012 05:13 AM

Re: Problem with system restore/recover.

> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>> "R. Giggs." <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

> At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
> will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :-)
>
> Don't be in too much of a rush.
>
> First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
> newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
> And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
> is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
> to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
> of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
> a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
> working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
> controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
>
> Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
> your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
> is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
> option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
> if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
> to a more stable point and then try something else.
> Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
>
> The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
> keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
> the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
>
> But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
> drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
> I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
> where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
> get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
> and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
> you'll be losing everything.
>
> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>
> That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
> two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
> if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
> the particular.
>
> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
> Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
>
> Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
> the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
> new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
> how to run a test.
>
> If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
> if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
> do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
> with.
>
> Paul

Well, I have now loaded the bad drive as a slave and I immediately
notice a big problem!!!!!!!!

There is no windows folder, indeed when I look in the root directory
there are no files listed starting with any letter greater than 'n'.
So last folder is 'notlisteddrivers', and last file is
'notepadfile.txt'!!!!!!!!!

Which is pretty weird!!!!!!

I found this when I went to look for C:\WINDOWS\system32\config when the
even log is stored
but of course it is not there!!!

It is really strange!!
So a lot is missing, including program files, which is a lot.

I do not understand how his can happen really, I mean the file must have
been there for the initial minorish setting problem so it seems they all
disappeared
during the restore?

But how could that happen? I mean of the file system the files are not
stored in
alpabetical order as far as I am aware.

Can't understand it at all.

A few points,

1) I don't want to run anything on the drive because I think the info must
still physically be there (perhaps?)
It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?

2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
order?

3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL

4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the drive,
looking back at my posts
it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
posts here although oddly
some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report success
in cloneing and running on
the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too important
I think.

5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!

6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most of
the stuff must
still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and
restore them?

Paul 10-20-2012 05:56 AM

R. Giggs. wrote:

> One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a while,
> soit may be a good time to get another.
>
> Maybe this one
> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent...85320-pdt.html

Are you actually buying it from that page ?
When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.

The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?

I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
sure).

Paul

Paul 10-20-2012 06:02 AM

R. Giggs. wrote:
> [...]

> 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
> order?
>
> 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
>
> 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the drive,
> looking back at my posts
> it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
> posts here although oddly
> some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report success
> in cloneing and running on
> the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too important
> I think.
>
> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
>
> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most of
> the stuff must
> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and

Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?

I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.

The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
certain letter.

I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
think they're name sensitive.

Paul