Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: overriding equals operation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953471-re-overriding-equals-operation.html)

Dwight Hutto 10-17-2012 01:51 AM

Re: overriding equals operation

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Pradipto Banerjee
<pradipto.banerjee@adainvestments.com> wrote:
> I am trying to define class, where if I use a statement a = b, then instead of "a" pointing to the same instance as "b", it should point to a copy of "b", but I can't get it right.
>
> Currently, I have the following:
>
> ----
>
> class myclass(object):
> def __init__(self, w3kschoolsname='')
> self.name = name
>
> def copy(self):
> newvar = myclass(self.name)
> return newvar
>
> def __eq__(self, other):
> if instance(other, myclass):
> return self == other.copy()
> return NotImplemented
> ----
>
> Now if I try:

> 'test'

> 'test2'
>
> I wanted b=a to make a new copy of "a", but then when I assigned b.name = 'test2', even a.name became 'test2'.
>
> How can I rectify my code to make the __eq__() behave like copy()?
>
> Thanks

If I'm understanding correctly(quick look at it), then write a new py
file and __import__ it if I'm remember correctly.

Use a secondary file to rewrite the existing nature of the python code
file, then import it, and utilize the remade secondary py file for
your usage..
--
Best Regards,
David Hutto