Velocity Reviews

-   -   Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953454-figure-its-ok-to-mention-this-stuff-since-dpreview-did.html)

RichA 10-16-2012 04:13 PM

Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
$499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3

nospam 10-16-2012 04:23 PM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

In article
<6be7157d-1162-4b34-b0a5-9e4a4999f8c0@b6g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

> So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
> $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

it's a lot more than a blackberry playbook, but when have facts
mattered in your idiotic rants.

if you actually read the link you cited, you'd see they're comparing it
to the ipad, except that it's less capable and at a similar price.

Me 10-16-2012 08:06 PM

On 17/10/2012 5:23 a.m., nospam wrote:
> In article
> <6be7157d-1162-4b34-b0a5-9e4a4999f8c0@b6g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
>> $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

> it's a lot more than a blackberry playbook, but when have facts
> mattered in your idiotic rants.
>
> if you actually read the link you cited, you'd see they're comparing it
> to the ipad, except that it's less capable and at a similar price.

I'd wait and see about the "capability". It's all too easy to write MS
off these days - to presume that something like these are a last
desperate act by the condemned.
The "pro" version (not the one discussed above) has a 1920 x 1080
display, images show it with a wacom type stylus. Running W8, it could
be a pretty useful device for photographers - where ipad and android
tablets are only fancy mobile digital photo-frames.

nospam 10-16-2012 09:24 PM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

In article <k5keoo$a56$1@news.albasani.net>, Me <user@example.net>
wrote:

> >> So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
> >> $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

> > it's a lot more than a blackberry playbook, but when have facts
> > mattered in your idiotic rants.
> >
> > if you actually read the link you cited, you'd see they're comparing it
> > to the ipad, except that it's less capable and at a similar price.

> I'd wait and see about the "capability". It's all too easy to write MS
> off these days - to presume that something like these are a last
> desperate act by the condemned.

microsoft is so far behind apple and google it's not funny. windows
phone has yet to gain any traction (still low single digit market
share), despite the hardware being fairly good.

windows 8 has very little enthusiasm. most people don't care for the
drastic changes. it may be a clever strategy to have the same os on
both mobile and desktop, but it's also very risky. if win 8 turns out
to be vista 2, microsoft is in deep trouble, more than they already
are.

> The "pro" version (not the one discussed above) has a 1920 x 1080
> display, images show it with a wacom type stylus. Running W8, it could
> be a pretty useful device for photographers

maybe. it depends on the apps. developers are concentrating on ios and
android, not windows 8.

> - where ipad and android
> tablets are only fancy mobile digital photo-frames.

nonsense. they're much more than fancy photo frames.

Mayayana 10-16-2012 11:28 PM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

| So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
| $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3

The MS tablets will probably be a flop, too, but
they're not Blackberry's. The whole thing hinges on
Metro and MS online services. They want you to buy
Metro apps that they get a cut on, "consume" media,
get an MS email address, etc. At this point they have
very little to offer, and a lot of people are going to
be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
Windows software and 2) the only software they can
run is trinket apps from the Windows online store.

Personally I think the prices are absurd, but there
are millions of people paying similar to buy iPads.
So there seems to be a ...tablet customer ... born
every minute. :)

nospam 10-17-2012 12:14 AM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

In article <k5kqkf$kds$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> The MS tablets will probably be a flop, too, but
> they're not Blackberry's. The whole thing hinges on
> Metro and MS online services. They want you to buy
> Metro apps that they get a cut on, "consume" media,
> get an MS email address, etc.

imagine that, companies that want you to buy stuff. crazy!!

> At this point they have
> very little to offer,

actually they have quite a bit to offer, but the problem is that apple
and google have a lot *more* to offer, and for roughly the same price.

it's too little, too late.

on the other hand, microsoft is throwing a shitload of marketing behind
it, so maybe they'll find a comfortable third place.

> and a lot of people are going to
> be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
> Windows software

so what? that hasn't affected ipads one bit.

in fact, not only can't ipads run windows software, but they can't run
mac software either, and ipad sales are through the roof.

> and 2) the only software they can
> run is trinket apps from the Windows online store.

there is much more than 'trinket apps' available.

> Personally I think the prices are absurd,

the prices are competitive with similar products.

> but there
> are millions of people paying similar to buy iPads.

exactly.

> So there seems to be a ...tablet customer ... born
> every minute. :)

is there something wrong with buying a tablet?

for a lot of tasks and also a lot of users, a tablet is a much beter
choice than a laptop and certainly a desktop computer (how archaic).

RichA 10-17-2012 02:46 AM

On Oct 16, 7:29*pm, "Mayayana" <mayay...@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> | So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
> | $499?? *And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.
> |
> |http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/g...ce-tablet-mash...
>
> * The MS tablets will probably be a flop, too, but
> they're not Blackberry's. The whole thing hinges on
> Metro and MS online services. They want you to buy
> Metro apps that they get a cut on, "consume" media,
> get an MS email address, etc. At this point they have
> very little to offer, and a lot of people are going to
> be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
> Windows software and 2) the only software they can
> run is trinket apps from the Windows online store.
>
> * Personally I think the prices are absurd, but there
> are millions of people paying similar to buy iPads.
> So there seems to be a ...tablet customer ... born
> every minute. :)

It all ties in nicely with Microsoft and other companies who want to
create a computer universe (indeed, an entire multimedia universe)
where all media and media use is "rented" as a service and not owned.
What better way to do it than releasing endless numbers of grossly
(compared to a decent home computer) tablets and phones.

RichA 10-17-2012 02:47 AM

On Oct 16, 8:14*pm, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <k5kqkf$kd...@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
>

> is there something wrong with buying a tablet?
>
> for a lot of tasks and also a lot of users, a tablet is a much beter
> choice than a laptop and certainly a desktop computer (how archaic).

You are just one big hipster...

Mayayana 10-17-2012 03:08 AM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

It all ties in nicely with Microsoft and other companies who want to
create a computer universe (indeed, an entire multimedia universe)
where all media and media use is "rented" as a service and not owned.

Yes. That's partly why the prices seem so outlandish
to me. Not only is it a limited tool compared to a
[cheaper] PC. The whole point is to bring in income
from everything that people do with it. With that
strategy I would expect them to take a loss on the
hardware, counting on profits down the road. (30%
cut for all "apps" bought through their store, ad
income from Hotmail, etc. Not to mention a captive
audience that can be tracked more efficiently than
computer users can be.)

Mayayana 10-17-2012 04:07 AM

Re: Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

| > and a lot of people are going to
| > be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
| > Windows software
|
| so what? that hasn't affected ipads one bit.

No, it hasn't. But those are two very different things. People
buy iPads for fun and swank... And because they're Apple fans
....And because they have money to burn. They associate
Windows with getting work done. It's *very* unlikely that
anyone will ever buy anything Microsoft for swank. :)

Microsoft know that so they're deliberately confusing people.
They're marketing the new line as a single interface across
devices, implying that people can have Windows everywhere.
MS has been clear in technical docs that Win RT is not the
same thing as Win 8, but their actions lead people to believe
otherwise. (Even much of the media mistakenly think Win RT
is a variant of Win 8.) Win 8 runs Windows software and has a
Metro screen tacked on to market MS services. Win RT is those
services, running on an ARM chip that can't handle Windows
software, with a sort of fake "Desktop" screen to confuse people.
(The Win RT Desktop only runs built-in Microsoft ARM software.
It's not a Desktop as Windows users know it.)

So why would anyone buy a Win RT tablet, which so far has
very few apps, when they can have an iPad for about the
same price (which now has, what, about 47 billion apps?) and
they can have a fashion statement in the deal? I submit that
many of those sales will be to people who have been misled into
believing that they're actually getting some version of
Windows + extras, when all they're really getting is warmed-over
MS online services and *maybe* an appealing app store. It's
yet to be seen whether the MS store will ever get an alluring
stable of apps.

Windows people are used to getting things free. Windows phones
have yet to sell. Windows tablets aren't even out yet. Anyone
who writes for Metro is basically writing trinkets that have to be
approved by MS, with MS getting 30% of the profits, and no
certain market. All of those factors work against developers wanting
to take a chance on Metro.
(I guess if you don't think a Facebook app, or a Find-me-a-
coffeeshop app, or an Angry Birds app is a trinket then we just
have different definitions of trinket. To me those are all simple,
small, trivial entertainment utilities.)