Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Battery question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953409-re-battery-question.html)

philo 10-15-2012 10:51 PM

Re: Battery question

On 10/15/2012 4:50 PM, rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote:
> I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix
> HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.
> But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR
> versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the
> AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was on
> the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the
> batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then
> be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.

I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

Since then all my camera's have had Li-ion and I am *much* happier.

nospam 10-15-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Battery question

In article <k5i40b$ech$1@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
> In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
> of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
> NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
quite well.

alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

philo 10-15-2012 11:34 PM

Re: Battery question

On 10/15/2012 5:59 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <k5i40b$ech$1@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
>> In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
>> of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
>> NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

> nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
> quite well.
>
> alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

Really it was Nicads I was talking about...of course I had that camera
over ten years ago. I still have it a Kodak 1MP. You can drop it on
cement and it just bounces!

I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
expensive.

nospam 10-15-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Battery question

In article <k5i6gv$ien$3@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> >> I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
> >> In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
> >> of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
> >> NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

> > nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
> > quite well.
> >
> > alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

> Really it was Nicads I was talking about...of course I had that camera
> over ten years ago. I still have it a Kodak 1MP. You can drop it on
> cement and it just bounces!

ten years ago is a long time ago, and even then, nimh was the standard.

> I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
> you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
> expensive.

alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
demands of a digital camera,

nimh and lithium aa batteries can source a lot more current and work a
*lot* better. lithium aa batteries are not that cheap but their shelf
life is 10 years or more and make for an excellent backup for when the
rechargeables are exhausted.

philo 10-15-2012 11:55 PM

Re: Battery question

On 10/15/2012 6:49 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
>>> quite well.
>>>
>>> alkaline aa batteries, on the other hand, don't work well at all.

>> Really it was Nicads I was talking about...of course I had that camera
>> over ten years ago. I still have it a Kodak 1MP. You can drop it on
>> cement and it just bounces!

> ten years ago is a long time ago, and even then, nimh was the standard.
>
>> I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
>> you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
>> expensive.

> alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
> demands of a digital camera,

Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

> nimh and lithium aa batteries can source a lot more current and work a
> *lot* better. lithium aa batteries are not that cheap but their shelf
> life is 10 years or more and make for an excellent backup for when the
> rechargeables are exhausted.

Yep

nospam 10-16-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Battery question

In article <k5i7o0$l59$2@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> >> I found that alkaline batteries worked well enough but as I said
> >> you have to keep buying them all the time so in the long run are more
> >> expensive.

> > alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
> > demands of a digital camera,

> Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.

philo 10-16-2012 12:24 AM

Re: Battery question

On 10/15/2012 7:07 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> alkaline batteries don't last very long because of the high current
>>> demands of a digital camera,

>> Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

> alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
> when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.

Believe me it does.
The camera I had would not function under 4.5 volts or so

nospam 10-16-2012 12:27 AM

Re: Battery question

In article <k5i9g6$olm$1@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> >> Plus they have a nominal voltage of only 1.2 v

> > alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
> > when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.

> Believe me it does.
> The camera I had would not function under 4.5 volts or so

4x 1.2v nimh = 4.8v, so even with nimh, it should still have worked.

nevertheless, i said 'almost always'. yours was one of the few devices
where may have mattered. nearly all devices work just fine with nimh.

philo 10-16-2012 01:13 AM

Re: Battery question

On 10/15/2012 7:27 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new. nicad and nimh batteries are 1.2v
>>> when fully charged. the difference almost always does not matter.

>> Believe me it does.
>> The camera I had would not function under 4.5 volts or so

> 4x 1.2v nimh = 4.8v, so even with nimh, it should still have worked.
>
> nevertheless, i said 'almost always'. yours was one of the few devices
> where may have mattered. nearly all devices work just fine with nimh.

Something went wrong here I was talking about Nicads not nimh

At any rate, with an Alkaline battery the staring voltage would be 6
volts. It would take a while before the voltage would go down to 4.5 v

With a set of Nicad batteries it did not take too long to go from 4.8 v
to 4.5 volts totally unacceptable life

nospam 10-16-2012 01:31 AM

Re: Battery question

In article <k5icb2$tct$2@speranza.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> >> Believe me it does.
> >> The camera I had would not function under 4.5 volts or so

> > 4x 1.2v nimh = 4.8v, so even with nimh, it should still have worked.
> >
> > nevertheless, i said 'almost always'. yours was one of the few devices
> > where may have mattered. nearly all devices work just fine with nimh.

> Something went wrong here I was talking about Nicads not nimh

they're both 1.2v.

> At any rate, with an Alkaline battery the staring voltage would be 6
> volts. It would take a while before the voltage would go down to 4.5 v

not that long, depending on load.

> With a set of Nicad batteries it did not take too long to go from 4.8 v
> to 4.5 volts totally unacceptable life

the discharge curve for nicad/nimh is flatter than alkaline and 4.5v =
1.12v/cell which is nearly discharged.

<http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html>

Yes, for most high drain electronic applications NiMH batteries are
ideal substitutes and you needn't worry about the apparent voltage
differences.* Even though alkaline batteries are rated at a nominal
1.5 volts, they only deliver 1.5 volts when they are fully charged.*
As they begin to discharge the voltage of alkaline batteries
continuously drops.* In fact, over the course of their discharge,
alkaline batteries actually average about 1.2 volts.* That's very
close to the 1.2 volts of a NiMH battery. The main difference is that
an alkaline battery starts at 1.5 volts and gradually drops to less
than 1.0 volts.* NiMH batteries stay at about 1.2 volts for most of
their discharge cycle.

...And keep in mind that the alkaline battery only has a higher
voltage when it is fully charged.* Once it gets to 50% capacity or
less, it will be delivering a lower voltage than a NiMH battery.