Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Clarification for interface specification "C11 threads.h" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953300-re-clarification-for-interface-specification-c11-threads-h.html)

Markus Elfring 10-12-2012 03:45 PM

Re: Clarification for interface specification "C11 threads.h"

>> I am curious if you will get feedback by standardisation committee members
>> for your descriptions.
>> http://p99.gforge.inria.fr/defects-a...functions.html
>>
>> Did you forward any of them to an "official" communication channel?

> I am not sure what channel that would be, the ISO committees
> don't seem to be very open to the outside world.

Do you get also any useful information by Derek M. Jones occasionally? ;-)
http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/

> Generally, if you look at the text for free that you are citing,
> and compare it with the text about the threads in C11, you'll notice
> a difference in quality. C11 certainly lacked some iterations
> of discussion and error correction before it went into the standard.
> In particular, a better coordination with the POSIX committee
> would have been in order concerning threads.

I see also another update candidate if you compare descriptions for the
functions "pthread_cond_wait" and "cnd_wait".

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs...cond_wait.html :
"...
When using condition variables there is always a Boolean predicate involving
shared variables associated with each condition wait that is true if the thread
should proceed. Spurious wakeups from the pthread_cond_timedwait() or
pthread_cond_wait() functions may occur.
Since the return from pthread_cond_timedwait() or pthread_cond_wait() does not
imply anything about the value of this predicate, the predicate should be
re-evaluated upon such return.
...."

How do you think about further clarification for the handling of "predicates"
and "spurious wakeups" by the current standard specification for the C
programming language?
Do you need not to care for them eventually because they are not mentioned in a
corresponding draft document?
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...docs/n1570.pdf

Regards,
Markus